Stop it! A note about polls

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Psionicist said:
Well... The more useless polls you create the bigger chance Piratecat or Morrus will turn them OFF for good. So don't touch the poll feature as some of us know how and when to use it. End of discussion.
Wise words indeed, my friend! :)

Berandor said:
After taking a look at the General pages, please disable polls.

I know I like them, and I think there are a lot of situations where a poll can be helpful or warranted.

But at the moment, it is clearly not tolerable.
Morrus/Piratecat, we could start deleting all useless polls. Whatcha think? This would enable us to keep polls, but also to keep the number of polls down at a tolerable level.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Re: Stop it! A note about polls

Darkness said:
Morrus/Piratecat, we could start deleting all useless polls. Whatcha think? This would enable us to keep polls, but also to keep the number of polls down at a tolerable level.

Then you get problems with people disagreeing with the official take on what polls are "useless".

If "the management" feels that there's too many polls, then they should try to educate the users before taking action. Put up an announcement thread for a while that gives an idea of what you'd like to stop seeing. Far better to give guidelines and see if we'll police ourselves, rather than start enforcing guidelines we've never actually seen, no?

Darkness

Re: Re: Re: Stop it! A note about polls

Umbran said:

Then you get problems with people disagreeing with the official take on what polls are "useless".

If "the management" feels that there's too many polls, then they should try to educate the users before taking action. Put up an announcement thread for a while that gives an idea of what you'd like to stop seeing. Far better to give guidelines and see if we'll police ourselves, rather than start enforcing guidelines we've never actually seen, no?
That's what I meant. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Far better to give guidelines and see if we'll police ourselves, rather than start enforcing guidelines we've never actually seen, no?

And hopefully, that's what we've started!

Last edited:

Galfridus

First Post
Get rid of 'em.

My problem with polls is that they look "official", which draws OT/spam/meaningless posts at a far higher rate than a normal post. It's silly, but "Poll: Do you use chits instead of dice" is going to get more page views than a simple post with the same subject. I don't think they are worth the bother.

Darkness

Galfridus said:
Get rid of 'em.

My problem with polls is that they look "official", which draws OT/spam/meaningless posts at a far higher rate than a normal post. It's silly, but "Poll: Do you use chits instead of dice" is going to get more page views than a simple post with the same subject. I don't think they are worth the bother.
By this reasoning, it would be better to disable the view count. :)

Last edited:

Galfridus

First Post
Darkness said:
By this reasoning, it would be better to disable the view count. :)
And the "put recently updated threads at the top of the list" feature. :)

reapersaurus

First Post
Piratecat said:
Look, the standard rules apply: use your best judgement before posting. That means try to keep OT posts down, but if you have something cool to share that isn't about D&D, that's probably okay.

The thing that isn't okay is posting lots of pointless OT stuff because you're just bored. That, and spam, should be avoided. I think most people have a really good sense of what is appropriate, so it's almost never a problem.

Earlier today, though, there were four or so totally OT polls, and that was inappropriate.
Calling a moderator!!

The General Forum is being inundated with polling.

It is NOT getting better, it's getting worse.
People are NOT executing sound judgment.
They are not controlling their behavior on their own.

Can i request that a moderator take a more active approach to dealing with inappropriate polls?
Just starting with the OBVIOUS inappropriate polls would be a nice start: if it's remotely appropriate, let it go - but there are fully now over 5 useless poll threads. (i'm being conservative)

It's definately out of hand, I'm a strong supporter of tolerance,but this is gone from some funny stuff once in a while to a full blow stupidity contest. Gee maybe i should start a poll on how stupid polls are becoming!

madriel

First Post
I counted 19 polls active today (Feb 12) and it's only 7:15 pm in my time zone. It is getting out of hand.

I don't want all polls disabled, but people are showing a real lapse in judgement. I ignore the ones that are off-topic, but their very presence is bumping regular threads off the page. There's two threads on the LOTR Oscar nominations because someone logged on a few hours after the first was posted and hadn't dug back far enough to see the first one. There's one thread that's nothing but spam masquerading as a poll (IMHO).

Sure, some days there's not a lot happening on the boards and I can see why people want to liven things up. But please try to find something more appropriate to this board.

Please?

Remove ads