• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder [OOC]

TallIan

Explorer
I'm usually in favour of rolling as the randomness madness things more unpredictable and harder to game (ie you can't calculate that you can take two more hits before dieing so lets be reckless this round)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I say roll. The main reason for using averages is to speed the DM up when running a lot of bad guys. PBP takes forever anyway, so it doesn't really make much difference that way.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I say roll everything except the next level's hit points. There's fun to be had with highs and lows in all of it, on both sides.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Roll everything. Including level hp. That way you can have a priest sturdier than a fighter os the same level.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I prefer rolling, but I use averages usually for low level 1-3 ish, depending. This prevents instakills if a measly goblin crits. Can't say how many 1st level newbies I'm trying to teach the game to have died to the goblin dice...

After 3, all bets are off. You're hardy enough to survive. Sometimes even at 2.

Neurotic

I've had 1st level goblin take out 5th level fighter in single combat. With fumble rules and terrible dice.

Surprise, sneak attack . Goblin wins Init. First attack, sneak crit. Fighter attacks, critical miss, fumble roll fall down. Goblin attacks prone, sneak attack, hit. Fighter gets up, OA crit. Dead fighter.

Goblin needed 13 or better to hit and never missed. Fighter got off one attack that critically missed.
Good time to be DM :)

Neurotic

Oh! I missed that this was not a recent event. My bad. I thought maybe you had rules creeping over from old editions. I've seen it happen. I probably should have noticed when you said "level 1 goblin".

It was my bad description, I didn't specify the era or the edition. There is no way for you to know when I last DMed.

Remove ads