• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder

The magical cat takes off and is able to determine the following things:

Palisade: Five crude tents stand in the middle of this muddy yard, surrounding a campfire. Five orcs gather around the fire. It appears their job is to watch over the one hundred sheep that are penned in the yard. The 4-foot-tall wooden fences that enclose the sheep pens have simple gates built into them. Each pen contains one or more wooden food troughs. A palisade of 20-foot-tall sharpened logs encloses the stockyard, except for an opening to the southeast with a giant boulder outside.

Building Window: Eight sturdy but battered wooden tables covered with globs of grease, gnawed bones, empty casks, and scraps of food stand near the north and south walls, while empty ale barrels lie around and underneath them A horrible stench rises from the window, accompanied by the squealing of pigs.

Chief Guh, or so you presume, lies at the west end of the hall, slumped atop a four-wheeled, flatbed wagon that bends and creaks under her great bulk. The wagon's axles are cracked and bowed, its wheels canted inward. Piled around the wagon are bones and other refuse. It appears Guh weighs more than 20,000 pounds and is stuck in place. The room is guarded by five male hill giants, four ogres, and six goblins.

Caves: The walls of this filthy room are made of packed mud with logs jutting out of them. The river seeps through a gash in the north wall and forms a stream that cuts across the eastern half of the area before spilling out through a hole in the south wall, tumbling down logs as it goes. A creaky wooden bridge spans the stream at one point. Smaller rivulets also seep into the room and connect to the wider stream, but they are narrow enough to step over. Crisscrossing wooden beams cover these holes, though the beams are far enough apart that a Small or Medium creature can get through them without having to squeeze.Scores of fat pigs snort, waddle about, wallow in the mud, and gorge themselves at wooden troughs overflowing with slop. Tending the pigs are seven mud-covered bugbears and an ettin. The bugbears push the pigs around to make sure the stronger ones don't hoard all the food for themselves. They also shovel pig waste into the stream.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I fail to see why we shouldn't just charge right up through the open gates to the stock yard."

"Because we don't want to wallow in mud with pigs? But I agree in general, we shouldn't really wait for them to find us. This is obviously new building and it serves some purpose for them. We destroy it. Kill as many as we can. And when the rest come running toward the smoke, we go around and scout deeper into their territory. And we can pick up stragglers as we return. What can go wrong?" Ordrar smiles hefting his hammer.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
When the news gets reported to him, Tranio offers his thoughts.

"If we attack the palisade, we can hold the choke point, which will give us an advantage if reinforcements appear from inside. I don't know how we'd do in a straight-up fight against so many giants, however.

"If we could tear down or burn part of the palisade, then the sheep will escape. That will separate them, as the shepherds seek to recover them, but it's not subtle and risks bringing all the reinforcements out at once.

"What we want..." Tranio corrects himself. "What *I* would want, ideally, would be to trap those within the hall and set fire to it. If we could storm past the sheepfolds, close the door, and somehow keep it closed, then fighting the shepherds would be possible, and seeting light to the inner structure potentially devastating. Some would get out, I'm sure, but others would need to contend with moving Chief Guh. That is assuming we have the ability to kindle fires effectively."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"And that the walls can hold the giant. And that we can keep the doors closed. And that we can make fire big and strong enough to quickly burn wet building. And finally, you assume they would try to save the Chief. It is a good idea, but too many moving parts. Do we have silence or skeep, some way to disable the orcs without alergije the giant?" Ordrar looks almost sad that he cannot see the way to make Tranio plan into reality.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Aremus was not very bright, but he was well educated and familiar with war-theory. He sighed and said, "We cannot expect to successfully destroy a facility of this size on our own. The best we can hope for is a little hit-and-run. But even this is not worth the risk without some reward. What, do you think, should be our primary objective? Revenge should only be secondary, my dwarven friend."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Grudd Haug
Afternoon
Round 0

“The place willnae burn,” Dren said. “‘Tis wattle an’ daub. The roof might, but logs tha’ thick will take time t’ light. Wot aboot tha’ cave?” he said, indicating a cave entrance to the east, outside the palisade. “Where’s tha’ gae? Moight it gae inside, under the ‘ouse?”

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Bonus Action:
Move:
Reaction:
Object Interaction:
Conditions:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 16
HP: 51/51 HD: 6/6d8+2
Ki: 6/6/R
Darts 10
Arrows: 18 Used:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Treasure]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Tranio - half-elf death cleric
Fistan - human wizard
Carolina - halfling rogue
Dren - dwarf monk
Bethany - human fighter
Aremus - half-elf paladin
Ordrar - dwarf eldritch knight
[/sblock]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Yes. We should take a closer look at that way in, and we should consider the layout of the area and see if destroying the dam would flood the steading, or just the farmland downriver. If the former, we may be able to take advantage of the chaos to reduce the number of giants we face." Aremus mused. He waa growing more confident that the small group woyld be able to strike a blow to the forces before them, even if only to slow the enemy's advance.

Remove ads