• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Story Hour - Your Favourite Story on the Boards

Noir

Explorer
Wyre

Sepulchrave's Wyre is the Story Hour everybody needs to read.
Not many times before has the world seen such great fantasy.

Read it, love it.

Delgar

First Post
See, I slaughtered helpless party members, and I still never managed any better than "Chaotic Good with Neutral tendencies."

Yah but we all know that you were the DM's pet. Seeing as YOUR character was the only one that didn't take a dirt nap!

Poor shorty, how many times did that little halfling bite the big one!

"Up the Fist!"

Delgar

gambler1650

Explorer
I'll second, or third, or twentieth... the recommendation for Wulf's Story Hour. More laugh out loud moments than I've had in a long time reading, and the only story hour I've actually gone through completely. Wulf (the character) is a true classic, and the story hour actually is quite useful to a beginning D20 DM like myself. The complaints and commentary on things like reflex saves and the general uselessness of rogue skills at higher levels was quite helpful. Given my first D20 campaign will be in Midnight, where magic is a bit less prevalent and that the comments made me think about how to allow thieves a bit more time in the sun, it's been invaluable. Not to mention just plain funny. :)

Hey Wulf, got your HHF: Elves on the way (didn't make the connection between the story hour author and Bad Axe Games til after I ordered it, so that was pretty cool). From the sounds of it, it might end up being the only non-Midnight book I have to find a spot in the campaign (Ley lines and Nexus concepts sound like they may fit...) Hoping it comes in today so I can start checking it out.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
P-Kitty's is exhausting to read. Holy crap, that's good crazy fun. Highly recommended.

Also anything by jonrog1. Drunk Zombies, Bad Southern Girls and Toddlers With Guns, or whatever it's called. Boo-yeah.

It was reading those two that made me start Barsoom Tales. Thanks for the love, folks -- update, coming soon!

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I'll stay convinced that anyone who doesn't recomend Sep's Wyre simply hasn't read it yet.....

in my opinion there is no greater work of fantasy fiction.. ever....

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Regarding the best Story Hour: Sepulchrave's, hands down. All other Story Hours can be reasonably compared with each other, but Sep's would better be compared to Hobb, Martin, et al. (IMHO, comparing him to Eddings or Brooks does Sep a disservice.)

Regarding my own Story Hour: The beginning (on my web site) isn't much fun to read. I started it more as a reminder-log for myself and my players, than as a story for others to consume. Influenced by Piratecat, Sepulchrave, Nemmerle, Old One and others, I've tried to make later posts more palatable to a casual reader. Someday, when I have the time, I may go back and rewrite the early stuff as true fictiony prose with (gasp) characteriztion, rather than a sentence-fragment-laden journal.

For now, it's probably more useful to someone interested in observing a one-big-story-arc type of campaign, with characters starting at 1st level and advancing slowly. (Plus it stars ENBoard luminaries Piratecat and KidCthulhu as PC's!) ;)

-Sagiro

Last edited:

Sepulchrave II's stories reflect not just the high quality of the gaming sessions underlying them but the high level of skill with which their author has crafted them. There are passages in Sep's stories that make my heart pound and cause sweat to stand out on my brow - they're that compelling.

What I enjoy most about Eadric, Ortwin, Nym, Mostin, et al. is that the characters are smart and they work together. This isn't a squabbling collection of D&Ders; it's a group of hardened veterans.

Or as (contact) would say, they've been to stone-cold killer school, and it shows. (contact)'s two story hours, Liberation of Tenh and The Risen Goddess, are equally well worth reading. The characters and their foibles seem very real and the adventures they get into are fantastic.

Long live all story hour authors.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
And if you noticed the entire EN boards suddenly listing to the right, it's because Sepulchrave just updated his thread and a huge list of subscribers are rushing to the scene. It's a good illustration of the difference in his story hour - a very long update that doesn't have any combat or even a weapon drawn. In contrast to Piratecat's, which I expect to have a big rambuctious fight breaking out any moment now.
John

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Sepulchrave's stuff is amazing. The only downside is that there's about five or six "chapters" and you have to wade through all the praise (some of it from me) to get to his stuff!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads