• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Story Hour - Your Favourite Story on the Boards

Talix

Explorer
Greybar said:
Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak - The one that got me started. Well-rounded and fun. Creative dashes that cry out classic D&D fun.

Seasong's Light Against the Dark - Creative and imaginative. Came for the world setting, stayed for the characters.

Jester's Agents of Chaos - rolicking fun of hack'n'slash at great power. The opposite in many ways of...

Sepulchrave's Wyre series - Deep, brooding potentcy. Once you start on it, you won't have a chance. Intellectually challenging. You may want to have www.dictionary.com loaded at times. Makes me want to break out the philosophy and religion books.

There's a mixed blessing to reading these, particularly if you're a GM. Your own game may seem terribly inferior. If you can get past this, you'll find they are potentially great inspiration. I have to remember that every gaming group comes to the table looking for something different. If I was even capable of producing a Sepulchrave-like game, I don't know if my players would like it.

John

These are the top of my list as well, but I have to give Sepulchrave the official top honor. :) Truly amazing. And definitely giving me a serious case of humility in terms of whether to start my own campaign at some point. Maybe with another 3 or 4 years of planning... :p

shilsen

Adventurer
Some of my favourites:

Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak

Wulf Ratbane's original SH, and now the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Sagiro's SH

Contact's The Liberation of Tenh

Jonrog1's Drunk Southern Girls with Guns, Zombie Toddlers and Bad Aliens.

But at the top of the heap is Sepulchrave's Story Hour. That goes right into the list of the best fantasy literature I've read, and is a lot better than many of the so-called greats of the genre.

Darklone

Besides the already mentioned ones:

Old Ones Faded Glory (baby hiatus right now)
Rels Faded Glory (finished)
Posys diary (for gnomelovers and haters!)

rigur

First Post
Sepulchrave II (Lady Despina and onwards)

P-Kitty (Defenders)
Sagiro
Nemmerle (Out of the frying pan and onwards)
Wulf Ratbane (Wulf's collected)
Dr Midnight (Knights of the silver quill and onwards)

In no particular order except Sepulchrave's story which is truly amazing.

Lela

First Post
Truely a toss up.

Sep weaves magnificent and thought provoking tales that leave you conteplating meanings and thoughts you've never considered.

Doc Midknight's characters epitomize the human experience, leaving the readers loving (and often hating) them all. His story sometimes seems to parady life itself.

Both have the skills of the great authors of our time and should be doing everything they can to publish. I say read both. And then read as many others as you have time for--after all, most of the Story Hours on these boards are very good. Some just come to mind sooner than others.

Someone

Adventurer
shilsen said:
Some of my favourites:

Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak

Wulf Ratbane's original SH, and now the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

But at the top of the heap is Sepulchrave's Story Hour. That goes right into the list of the best fantasy literature I've read, and is a lot better than many of the so-called greats of the genre.

Well, exactly the same for me, so why should I type another my own post. Wulf´s is real funny and a good example of high level play (it, however, became somewhat boring later when game became a long series of scry-teleport-two rounds of Hasted massacre-teleport back) Piratecat´s is the Campaing Everyone Dreamed to Play In.

But yes, Secpulchrave´s is incredible. It´s truly better than most fantasy literature I´ve read.

Ah, the temptation of Eadric was truly a masterpiece. I normally don´t post in story hours because the praises usually fill the pages too quickly. But I had to post in that part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads