Strange Stars IC

Someone

Adventurer
Al´Gera, peace be with them. Boad-elih Ha-Rashnid, the grandfather, ended the disputes between the members of his tribe; the father, Maal Ha-Rashnid, expanded the kingdom´s rule over the mighty river Nalai, up to and limited only by the impenetrable jungles, mountains and desert. And the son, Alik Ha-Rashnid, Caliph and Keeper of the Book, is decided to use the river of riches that pass through Al´Gera to transform the kingdom from the dominion of seminomadic raiders and huts made of mud, in a wonder that will make travellers dream with heaven.

Al´Gera holds a special place in the Infinite Sea. It´s easier to travel fom one land to another if you stop in Al´Gera first; thus, the huge city´s port teems with merchants and adventurers –frequently there´s no distinction between them- since the Ha-Rashnids ended the endemic fights and expanded the port; the commerce, and the exports of rare woods and food, made the city and kingdom flourish like no one thought possible a couple decades ago. The Caliph also finances hospitals, schools and a great university, and makes efforts to bring the best thinkers from all the lands bathed by the Sea.

And the Caliph, the ruler chosen by God, loved by his people, has urgently summoned you to his presence. However, the messenger (a young halfling caller Jalok) looked around and whispered: ”Better if you carry your, ahem, most prized posessions with you”

DM_Matt

First Post
Someone said:
Al´Gera, peace be with them. Boad-elih Ha-Rashnid, the grandfather, ended the disputes between the members of his tribe; the father, Maal Ha-Rashnid, expanded the kingdom´s rule over the mighty river Nalai, up to and limited only by the impenetrable jungles, mountains and desert. And the son, Alik Ha-Rashnid, Caliph and Keeper of the Book, is decided to use the river of riches that pass through Al´Gera to transform the kingdom from the dominion of seminomadic raiders and huts made of mud, in a wonder that will make travellers dream with heaven.

Al´Gera holds a special place in the Infinite Sea. It´s easier to travel fom one land to another if you stop in Al´Gera first; thus, the huge city´s port teems with merchants and adventurers –frequently there´s no distinction between them- since the Ha-Rashnids ended the endemic fights and expanded the port; the commerce, and the exports of rare woods and food, made the city and kingdom flourish like no one thought possible a couple decades ago. The Caliph also finances hospitals, schools and a great university, and makes efforts to bring the best thinkers from all the lands bathed by the Sea.

And the Caliph, the ruler chosen by God, loved by his people, has urgently summoned you to his presence. However, the messenger (a young halfling caller Jalok) looked around and whispered: ”Better if you carry your, ahem, most prized posessions with you”

[OOC: This seems closely patterned after the history of the origional Muslim empire. I will assume for now, however, that unlike in said empire, alcohol is legal. This post will make a few more assumptions, beucase I don't know much about the setting. Just correct me where I'm wrong]

Rana, in a far worse mood than usual, sits alone at the bar looking down into her drink and thinking. This place sucks. I understand why the Thulkar sent me here. The Caliph is a powerful friend to have, and this city a vital one for continued sucess in trade, but on the other hand... Rana downs her drink and orders another. The theocracy of the place really creeps me out. Divine right, my @$$. Thats what they all say. From Kinnelkuk, King of Kobolds to Gargamel, Godspeaker of the Grigolian Giants, every warlord and their mother claims to be the The One. No, the Caliph is no more chosen than any of the others. He and his line are simply opportunists who play on the ignorance of the masses to increase and consolidate power. Not that they are not good rulers. They certainly are, and good for their people as well. But still, what a farce, what a charade... Rana downs yet another.

[The halfling appears, and gives his message]

Rana stiffens to a military posture.

"Very well, then. I will perform my duties at once!"

When the halfling leaves, she rests her head in her hands, trying to shake away the wooziness. "Barkeep! Coffee. Black. Lots of it."

Someone

Adventurer
Re: Re: Strange Stars IC

DM_Matt said:

[OOC: This seems closely patterned after the history of the origional Muslim empire. I will assume for now, however, that unlike in said empire, alcohol is legal. This post will make a few more assumptions, beucase I don't know much about the setting. Just correct me where I'm wrong]

[You gessed it. Al´Gera it´s modeled after Baghdad in the times of Harun al Rashid, you know; Aladdin, Simbad, tales of genies and the like; but don´t worry too much about the details, no more than studying French history to play in Forgotten Realms. And it´s the first time I try this setting, and it´s not very detailed, so if you want can add some stuff if you want.

Only that I was thinking n replace alcohol with a herb that´s burned in braziers.]

nameless

First Post
In a moment of respite, Qalare relaxes in a hookah bar, perusing an recently acquired arcane tome. He desires no attention today, and has adopted an illusionary guise for his public outing.

Seeing Jalok enter the bar, Qalare slithers down into his chair. Not today... I've been away for weeks. I deserve a day off every now and then. How did that runt find me, anyway? Uncannily, the halfling makes a beeline to Qalare's small table to address the wizard. Great. He knew exactly where I was and what I'd look like. Alik must have been watching me today. I wonder what I've done this time? Without looking up from his book or his pipe, Qalare addresses the messenger. "Hello, Jalok. What's on your mind?" Yes, pretend that you don't know why he's here, Qalare. Denial always pulls you through....

[Jalok delivers his message]

Detecting urgency in the message, Qalare lifts his head with a serious expression. Aparrently I was wrong. This time, the Caliph is not just harassing me for amusement. Dismissing the illusion with a gesture, Qalare stands. Some in the bar recognize Qalare and are surprised by his appearance, but the regulars just crack a knowing smile. At their master's command, Siva and Devi (The golems) emerge from behind the voluminous curtains they are concealed by. Turning to the proprietor, "thank you for your hospitality, Wahid." Qalare walks to Wahid and hands him the tome, along with two pieces of gold. "Can you do me a favor and have this returned to my study?" A second realization passes over Qalare, and he offers another hundred gold pieces to Wahid. "I will be away for a while, as well. Additionally, could you see to it that my home is taken care of while I am away? This should cover the cost of finding someone to look after it, and some extra for your trouble."

Wahid nods and accepts the money and the task, and, gathering his effects, Qalare follows the halfling back to the palace.

Last edited:

RedStar

First Post
The monstrous Torvak strode through the crowded marketplace, the sea of people opening in front of him to let him pass. Some knew him as the Caliph's man and respectfully allowed him passage, but the majority saw only a hulking brute of the most outlandish appearance and gave way so as not to rouse his anger. Vainly he traveled from stall to stall seeking but one thing.

"No I don't want your herbs little man. Mead. Beer. Whisky. These are what I want. Do not look at me as if I had demanded your daughters hand. Bah, what must a man do for a drink in this place?

Turning to leave the stall he bumped into what seemed like a child. He grasped it by the scruff of the neck and lifted it up to eye level.

"Now what's this? A pickpocket? Oh, it's you." The halfling thrust out a piece of parchment in front of him. "Hrmph, what's this?" Torvak grasped the paper in his clawed hand and dropped the halfling to the ground. "Strange, what could he want? Run along Jalok, I shall make my own way to his highness." With that he lept into the air unfurling his large golden wings and flew off to the Caliph's palace.

DM_Matt

First Post
Rana finishes her coffee, puts down some coins, walks a bit unsteadily out of the bar, and makes her way to the palace.

Fanog

First Post
Limar Al-Doneh was walking along the harbor, marvelling at the activity of merchants, sailors and officials as he always did. He was dressed in the simple gard of the sailor, easy-fitting pants in bright blue and a loose white shirt. His skin was darkened from the many hours outside, and his hands calloused from the hard work he did. The only thing distinguishing him from those working the sail were the necklaces he wore. One of them contained a hanger depicting a ship on the waves, the other many beads of shell and coral.

The sailor priest walked along the harbor, hearing new of the Sea and the islands, sharing stories with those who had a few hours leave on shore. He would listens to their stories, ease their worries and ailments, and speaks highly of their profession, may they be thankful to the sea for allowing them.

As he saw the small messenger of the Caliph approach him, Limar halted and sat down on a nearby barrel. His bones cracked a bit, one more sign that the years were starting to grow on him. "Old, but not too old", he thought with a smile to himself. He greeted Jalok with a warm smile and listened to the message from the Caliph.

"It seems there is something I must do, and with haste as well. Let us hope that I can go out again, I have been away from the water for too long." He spoke to the messanger, a deep and pleasant voice. "Thank you, Jalok. Please inform him that I will present myself shortly. I will make my way over to my house first to pack, that should only take a moment."

Limar hoisted himself up, leaning on his quarterstaf. Without further delay, he walked along the dock to his house by the shore. Quickly, he picked up the things he would need for an assignment and possible a voyage, pouring it all into his ensorcelled sack. In good time and with a smile on his face, Limar presented himself at the Palace, eager to find out what it was that was needed of him

Someone

Adventurer
The group at the caravasar (something that only can be described as a huge inn, constructed around a ample inner coutyard, and able to host entire caravans) leave drinks, herbs and cushions and makes his way to the river while Wahid tries to find someone to guide the golem monstrosities. Not far from there, a boat rests under the bright sun, where the rest of the group waits.

The boat goes up the slow but mighty river Nalai, heading for the palace; countless other ships and boats small and large make their way too in the dirty waters. In the middle of the river, a crenellated wall, 40 feet high, surrounds an island. The wall glistens with marble and reliefs.

The boat stops in front of the gates, where lies a small port made of beautifully worked stone. The gaes open for you and you enter the palace, not for the first time.

It is not a single, huge building, but could be better described as a garden where low walls, hedges, and rows of trees hide luxurious chambers and goups of rooms. Small ponds and fountains are everywhere and refresh the air. Same as the reception chamber, where the Caliph waits for you. The chamber is a impressive room, made of white marble, with a long nd shallow pond in the centre, with a playful fountain. The Caliph´s elite guard forms at the sides while you advance; and when you reach the caliph´s throne, you notice that all is not going as it should be.

The Caliph seems worried, so much that is as if ten years suddendly fell upon him. He´s not alone; the royal family (queen and three sons, two of them young enough to be barely able to walk) are also with him, and that´s strange. At their left (so it´s your right) a young robed man stands and frown hen he sees you.

[More to come when I have all the character sheets]

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
Before arriving, Rana "changes" into attire more appropriate for seeing the Caliph using her Hat of Disguise: She makes it appear that she is wearing a fancy evening gown and a good bit more jewelry than usual, and she uses the illusion to cover her weapons. The hat itself becomes a ribbon which she uses to pull back her hair into a short pony tail.

Remove ads