• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange Stars IC

Someone

Adventurer
nameless said:
Also a question, are the attacks by Rana, Rashid and the archons having appreciable effect on the bird?]

The ship tilts and swings with each movement of the great bird, so moving is difficult, and that´s without counting the hurricane caused by its wings. However, the ship´s hull is not as damaged as believed in the first moment: however, it´s clear that if the thing continues ascending, even a few seconds, the fall will destroy the ship and kill the sailors. Ahead you only see water: all you can tell is that as soon you can see land, you´ll out of the Infinite Sea and subject to whatever physical and magical laws rule there.

The bird himself seems not to be immune to damage, but the sustained until now is fairly minor. You would need much bigger attack to seriously injure it, of course, a sustained effort with lesser attacks would eventually kill it too.

Jade Solstar

First Post
Someone said:
The ship tilts and swings with each movement of the great bird, so moving is difficult, and that´s without counting the hurricane caused by its wings. However, the ship´s hull is not as damaged as believed in the first moment: however, it´s clear that if the thing continues ascending, even a few seconds, the fall will destroy the ship and kill the sailors. Ahead you only see water: all you can tell is that as soon you can see land, you´ll out of the Infinite Sea and subject to whatever physical and magical laws rule there.

The bird himself seems not to be immune to damage, but the sustained until now is fairly minor. You would need much bigger attack to seriously injure it, of course, a sustained effort with lesser attacks would eventually kill it too.

Rashid yells above the roar of the winds whipping about the Winged saying "I agree, we should not kill it or we would surely sink and be lost to the sea. Do we have any other alternative right now other than weathering out this ride the giant bird has provided us with ?"

nameless

First Post
I was hoping it wouldn't come to this....

Qalare yells back to Rashid, desperation tinging his voice, "Yes! I had a plan which I did not speak before, for I thought it would be foolish to abandon ship without dire cause. I can summon a Djinn, which could use its magic to pull us and the sailors from the ship, and use further magic to fly us to a safe harbor. We can Wind Walk hundreds of leagues in only hours, far enough to cover nearly a fortnight's worth of sailing. I think the risks are apparent. Though my magic is powerful, the legendary lands of the Infinite Sea can be whimsical and the laws of reality do not always apply."

Fanog

First Post
Milar yells back to Qalare, keeping a tight grip on the rigging to avoid falling to his death. "We can't abandon ship... It will doom the entire crew. I say we stick out the ride and see where fate takes us."

Milar looks down at the water and offers a prayer, hoping he made the right choice.

Someone

Adventurer
Fanog said:
Milar yells back to Qalare, keeping a tight grip on the rigging to avoid falling to his death. "We can't abandon ship... It will doom the entire crew. I say we stick out the ride and see where fate takes us."

Milar looks down at the water and offers a prayer, hoping he made the right choice.

[OK, then]

The captain and the nearby crew assents vigorously to Milar´s affirmation, and you decide to let the bir carry the Winged to whatever destiny has in mind. Rana has to make an effort to reach a trailing rope and come aboard of the ship. The waves shrink while the hawk gains altitude, until finally the giand bird lets the wind carry it´s immense body.

An hour and a half later a point can be seen in the horizon: a land mass appears and quickly grows. It seems to be a rather large island, covered by a dense jungle. Qalare doesn´t notice anithing special in the realitie´s fabric, as is the norm in the strangest lands, and relaxes a little; or as much as one can being carried by a predator of that size. Then the crew starts spotting large creatures moving below the canopy of trees, and fear increases.

The hawk doesn´t stop at the beach, but continues, descending towards a mounain range at the island´s center. It continues descending, then glides horizontally, and finally ascends to finally stop, letting the ship fall onto a rocky, plain platform. The hawk leaves, letting the ship hanging on the platform; down, you hear a raging river.

It´s a strange place. Large skeletons of whales and other monsters lay littered on the floor, as do what remains of other two ships: you are not the first humans visiting this place. Or maybe yes, since those ships seem strange enough to be the work of civilizations far away. You start intuiting where you are when a sound confirms that: over a ledge, the gargantuan head of a hawk chick; then, another appears, jumping and fluttering with the obvious intention of eating you all.

[OK, I´ll try to explain the map. Notice that every square is 10 feet, not 5 feet; the wooden line is the ship´s board, where you are. The ship is somewhat damaged, but not made splinters as you could suppose looking at the map, but it could fall down is something pushes it. The flesh golems are into the ship, and will arrive in a round or two if Qalare calls them.

The "nest" is in three levels, were you are being the inferior one, the one where bird 2 is being the following, and the final one the highest. The "birds" as you see are Gargantuan, already have feathers, and are able of short flights]

[Seems that I´m not able to attack images. I´ll try in a few minutes, editing this post or making another with the map]

Someone

Adventurer
Here´s the map:

Attachments

• Nest.jpg
    Nest.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 117

Fanog

First Post
"Come on, we've got to lure those 'young ones' away from the ship", Milar says to his companions. In a low voice so the sailors won't hear, he adds "They could accidentaly push it over the side."

After shortly exchanging looks with his companions, Milar prepares to leave the ship and draw the birds away from it. "Captain, see if you can lower ropes and get your men away from the ship", he suggests as he climbs down.

Jade Solstar

First Post
Rashid nods his head and says "Yes Milar you are right. If we have any hope of leaving the isle upon the ship we must protect it from them." Grabbing onto a rope Rashid prepares to get off the ship and help in drawing the monsterous birdsd away.

nameless

First Post
q

Looking at the ship perched precasiously on the mountainside, Qalare responds, "Yes, these monstrous birds will likely destroy the ship... but how will we bring it to the water in any case? We may have to arrange ourselves an alternate form of transport. We could still use a Djinn's magic, or build a new ship with my magic, which could take only hours given the proper spells."

Scanning the cliffs, Qalare adds, "Perhaps those other two ships have some means to navigate to Kemal's lost island. We should investigate if we can."

[The other two get down]

"Wait! Do not harm the birds! They are only hatchlings, and their mother will defend them with terribly fury! If you must, only draw them away from the ship, but be careful not to provoke a fight!"

Remove ads