• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strangest place you've gamed...?

CherubKid

Explorer
We've all gamed in cramped dining rooms, cluttered apartments without air conditioning, or lounging around the living room.

What are the strangest places you've played?
What obscure objects have stood in for your gaming table?

As a teen I had somehow procured two 4' high wooden cable-spools which (turned on their sides) became our twin gaming tables. They were cool, despite the obligatory splinters.

After high school, as my DM-cred built up, my players would constantly pester me to play/DM, no matter where we were. There were a couple of impromptu role-playing (diceless) sessions -- on the bus or in the diner.

What about you and your friends?

Stormonu

Legend
My strangest place was a barn out on a couple hundred acres of cornfields. Our game table was a couple plywood sheets stacked on bags of seed.

And due to a quirk that our host told us we couldn't go back the the house after the game (we finished up about 2 AM), I slept that night in the cab of a combine.

Thasmodious

First Post
We've gamed out on the lake in a fishing boat and in high school, our Paranoia GM often started the afternoon's session at lunch and continued with notes throughout the day, setting up secret societies, missions and the like, then we would play out the actual game at someone's house after school.

Let's see, I used to use a ping pong table for a game table, that was nice, lots of room for maps and minis, could seat a dozen players. And we played a one-shot on the side walk when we camped out for Episode One tickets.

Lancelot

Adventurer
In two bunk beds at a friend's place, when I was about 14. At night. With flashlights.

I was DM'ing from the lower bed in one bunk. The two players (brothers) were on upper beds in the other two bunks. It was wayyy past our "bed time / curfew" and we weren't supposed to still be gaming. Nobody could see anybody's dice rolls (and there was no flat surface to roll anything on anyway), so all rolls were taken on faith.

I imagine that if my friends' mother had wandered by and seen three teen boys playing with magazines and flashlights at 1am in the morning, she might have assumed we were checking out Playboy or Penthouse.

But it was better than that - it was B3 Palace of the Silver Princess.

Dannager

First Post
I ran multiple Living Forgotten Realms games on the PAX West Coast Supertrip train up to and down from Seattle a couple years back. These were not jury-rigged games, either. These were full-on, DM screen and battle mat, box of minis, pre-printed adventure and character sheets RPGA games. I got a few confused emails from people wondering what I meant when I said "On a train, CA, OR, WA" in the Location field of the game registration.

Last edited:

Williams College

In Currier at Williams (a grand, early 19th century building). Behind a wall panel off Currier Ballroom, down wooden stairs, in the dirt-floored secret room of the sub-basement, with no electrical light, and very short-roofed tunnels leading out into the darkness.

That is, a 19th century dirt basement that may very well have been used as part of the Underground Railroad, and for Lord knows what else over the past 150+ years.

This is what happens when there are overlapping circles of geekdom between D&D playing and "tunneling".

Maccwar

Explorer
I've played RPGs in a lot of places but now I think about it two locations stand out as odd.
1) The roof of a friend's house.
We were making the most of some nice weather on the flat roof of a four storey house. The downside was that everthing which wasn't held down by some heavy sourcebook or other threatened to blow away fortunatley we were playign 1st edition AD&D so there were plenty of hardbacks to go around.
2) On the pavement (sidewalk) in front of a shop at 2am.
We were in the queue for the grand opening of a gaming store and camped out over night to get some discounted/free stuff. I ran a game of MERP and almost managed a TPK (one character escaped!).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads