• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strangest place you've gamed...?

Richards

Legend
Twice I've gamed in a launch control center, while on alert as part of my missile launch officer duties. We were down there in the capsule, monitoring the ICBMs in our flight, for 24 hours at a time, so there was plenty of free time needing to be filled. The first time, it was a solo adventure (one of those "magic viewer" deals with the red glasses, and you're running a sole PC and reading the DM stuff through the viewer when necessary). The other time was when my crew partner and I were sent to Vandenberg AFB for a test launch - we played Star Fleet Battles multiple times and he ran me through a Top Secret adventure.

Johnathan

Vikarr

First Post
So this is kind of tame, but I once played on a stack of milk crates in a friends room, I've also played on a chest [it was being used as a coffee table] in the back of a car on a long trip [while buckled in] and on a boat in Canada's north channel [and in the nearby marina buildings]

OnlineDM

Adventurer
In a hotel room... in the evening after a friend's wedding... WITH the bride and groom! And yes, this was AFTER the ceremony, not before... I know what I would have been doing for the rest of the day on MY wedding day, but hey, they wanted to game.

This was actually my first experience as a dungeon master, and we had to improvise a lot - a manually drawn grid on a couple of pieces of paper, coins for PC minis, dried blueberries and pineapples for monster minis (eat what you kill), smart phones for dice rollers, etc. And it was some of the most fun I've had so far!

More details on that one are on my blog here. And coincidentally, today is the one-year anniversary of that game (and, you know, my friends' wedding). Happy anniversary, Jen and Eric!

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Reality: Storm drains. Now I wouldn't fit through that bend in the grate which was our access point.

In a college gaming group I was part of, we got the whole first floor of the building every other Saturday. As we put our games up on the board, we had to select which room we were going to use. Because I had found the bathrooms also had room numbers, one day I put up the room number of the 1st floor women's bathroom. We played in an actual classroom, but it was worth the joke.

possum

First Post
You guys are making me feel boring! The most exotic locales for me were the school library & cafeteria.

Same here. Well, there is the times that I gamed underneath a Mexican resteraunt that was closed due to a big fire. Okay... It was my FLGS and it had escaped the same fire in much better condition. It opened back in about a month. The other place? Nearly a year.

In my couple of years in the military so far, no exotic gaming locations yet. Just a tent in a desolate patch of Arizona desert (and a motel room off-post for more ethanol-fueled adventuring).

I did once play World of Darkness in the backroom of a seedy bar. We needed a place to play and one of the players knew somebody who knew somebody. . . Was pretty good for ambiance actually.

Counting larping. . .a vampire Larp done on Halloween where we were going down the streets of the city in-character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads