"Stream of Many Eyes" -- WotC To Announce New Storyline In June

On June 1st, WotC will be hosting a three-day streaming event called the Stream of Many Eyes. Similar to previous events, it will feature comedians, actors, and streamers, as the new Dungeons & Dragons storyline is unveiled.

On June 1st, WotC will be hosting a three-day streaming event called the Stream of Many Eyes. Similar to previous events, it will feature comedians, actors, and streamers, as the new Dungeons & Dragons storyline is unveiled.

DcIHjxiUQAAwxIJ.jpg-large.jpg

Here's the full press release:

On June 1 – 3 2018, D&D will bring tons of Twitch streamers, actors, comedians and D&D luminaries to the Stream of Many Eyes, a three-day livestreamed extravaganza full of cosplay, crazy sets and amazing stories. During the Stream of Many Eyes – #SOMEDND - the D&D team will unveil the new adventure story coming this year and showcase extraordinary D&D live play entertainment, and it will all stream live on twitch.tv/dnd.

The Stream of Many Eyes starts at 4pm PT on Friday, June 1st, with a visual tour of the studio led by host Anna Prosser Robinson and a roundtable conversation with the D&D team on the new storyline and what makes it so exciting. Dungeons & Dragons will then present live D&D play sessions with Force Grey & Dice, Camera, Action.

On Saturday, June 2nd, the livestream kicks off at 10 AM PT with Sirens of the Realms. Saturday’s games will feature well-known D&D gaming group Girls, Guts, Glory as well newer groups Rivals of Waterdeep and Dark & Dicey, all previewing content from the new story. The entertainment will run all day, wrapping up at 7 PM PT.

Four groups will perform on Sunday, June 3rd, beginning at 11 AM PT and streaming until 8 PM PT. Games will include members of Critical Role, High Rollers, Force Grey and the entire cast of Dice, Camera, Action performing together in costume for the first time.

D&D fans around the world can watch all the excitement unfold on twitch.tv/dnd, and on Sunday only, fans in the Los Angeles area can buy tickets to watch one of the live games in person. The live ticketed experience includes a curated set tour, live performances from musicians, dancers and stunt-people, food trucks, a D&D pop-up store full of merch, and of course some of your favorite gaming groups.

Check out the full schedule and buy tickets at dnd.wizards.com/some. Tickets are limited – so if you’ll be in the L.A. area on June 3rd make sure to grab them quick! Check out the D&D website, follow D&D on Twitter or subscribe to the Dragon Talk podcast feed for all the latest updates and for interviews with our special #SOMEDND guests.

You can read more here.

It just seems like such a stretch.

Even assuming Mearl’s didn’t flub and there’s four “D&D products” due in 2018... that’s not a stretch as we know of four. Tome of Foes, Broadway, Catacomb, and Broadway’s dice. We’ve known of all four since November since Amazon listings appear months and months in advance. We knew of “Catacomb” a year ahead of its release date.

Just like we knew the ISBNs and price points of several products last year, that turned out to be Dungeon Tiles, a blank folding map, and a new DM screen.
If there’s some secret fourth book due in 2018, what’s it’s release date, codename, and price point? Where is its Amazon entry or book store solicitation?

We saw Dragonfire, Betrayal at Baldur’s Gate, and the Tomb of Annihilation board game in 2017. Assault of the Giants in early 2017/ late 2016. Rock, Paper, Wizard as well as Dice Masters and Tyrants of the Underdark in 2016. Temple of Elemental Evil in 2015.
They’ve done a new board game every year and an Adventure System game every other year.
It stands to reason they’ll do at least one game thematically tied to the summer storyline. Because that’s what they’ve done every other year. Which they will consider a “D&D product”.

Could they do four books in one year? Yeah, probably. Would they stack all four into a three month window? Not likely. The fourth would probably be closer to the spring book to evenly space out the workload. I doubt they’d want to get a book out in September, November, and December. Last time they did that, they had to let another game company cover their next year’s releases...
That's reasonable, and I'm sure there was plenty of doubt (myself included) - until Kate's comments a few weeks ago, which seemingly confirmed that there was another book out there. Moreover, she was asked about editing the mystery product, and dice aren't a product that one can edit.

As for why it hasn't been sussed out yet, well, that is a good point. Perhaps it's a third party product amd thus not found under WotC as a publisher. Perhaps there's some serious NDA that had been slapped on it. Perhaps, as you said, it's a 2019 product, or just a mistake. But in my opinion, there's a fair amount or room for doubt that there isn't a fourth book out there waiting for us this year...

That's reasonable, and I'm sure there was plenty of doubt (myself included) - until Kate's comments a few weeks ago, which seemingly confirmed that there was another book out there. Moreover, she was asked about editing the mystery product, and dice aren't a product that one can edit.
But a board game or card game IS a product that can be edited and playtested.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is worth noting that we know that there are definitely two D&D board games coming out this year, one from Gale Force Nine (which has a firm release date but a secret name) and one from Avalon Hill (which we know from the Seattle Times article, which evsn has a photo of Kate Welch doing a playtest of the rules for the Avalon Hill game aimed at younger players). So, could be the board game, could be a 2019 product, could be a side product (like Star Frontiers or Gamma World). We'll find out soon.

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
I'll take that a step further - what they are releasing is a 5e update of all the "I"-series modules!

I love this theory! But maybe not an update of all the I modules (since we already have Ravenloft and Tomb of Annihilation has some very I1-ish stuff in it). But maybe a big adventure that re-visits lots of other places from the I series.

Okay, not very likely. But the Xanathar bit seems so obvious that there's got to be more to it.

flametitan

Explorer
I love this theory! But maybe not an update of all the I modules (since we already have Ravenloft and Tomb of Annihilation has some very I1-ish stuff in it). But maybe a big adventure that re-visits lots of other places from the I series.

Okay, not very likely. But the Xanathar bit seems so obvious that there's got to be more to it.

I'm expecting it to be like the Storm King's Thunder/Volo's Guide to Monsters or the Tomb of Annihilation/Xanathar's Guide to everything announcements. The storyline is heavily hinted at and it becomes fairly obvious what direction they'll go with it beforehand, but it's basically a diversion so that the other book announced becomes the "real" surprise.

Coroc

Hero
Well, we did not have beholders (/mind flayers?)as a main theme yet in the published APs did we?

And they both are signature mobs of D&D so it migt well be that this is the theme.

Well, we did not have beholders (/mind flayers?)as a main theme yet in the published APs did we?

And they both are signature mobs of D&D so it migt well be that this is the theme.

Yeah, Beholders, Mind Flayers, and Modrons are all conspicuous by being IP-specific but as yet mostly unused by the adventures. Of course, that might be due to them being kinda weird and not fitting into the 'standard fantasy' vibe that new players might expect, so perhaps they've deliberately left them to focus on more familiar territory.

Remove ads

Remove ads