D&D 5E Strixhaven: Orientation

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs. Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures...

WotC has released an overview of the upcoming Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, as adventurers of levels 1-10 uncover a plot against the university. Teased are activities like tavern games, a magical frog race, an improv festival, and other social encounters. You can also take exams to improve your skills, join clubs, or get jobs.

Also included is a bestiary of over 40 new creatures.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.13.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.15.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.16.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.06 PM.png

The Bibloplex contains most of the information in the multiverse. Plenty of other locations fill the book, such as Captain Dapplewing's Manor, a mansion built for the university professors. One adventure has the PCs breaking into the manor. Another adventure involves the main Strixhaven student sport, Mage Tower.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.18.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.23.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.22.35 PM.png

While I agree with you about Fria Ligan art, the two companies exist on a different scale of popularity and widespread appeal. It is sort of like the difference between Starbucks and a small coffee roastery, or a chain restaurant and a local bistro. Now I tend to be a bit snobbish about such things, but WotC has to think in terms of wide appeal.

This doesn't account for the uneven quality of WotC art, as you'd think there'd be fewer duds when they have more money to spend on art, but it does account for the tonal elements. Fria Ligan is, for lack of a better term, more high-brow, and thus also with less widespread appeal. I mean, there's a reason why billions watch MCU films and only a tiny fraction of that watch Terrence Malick films.

I'd also argue that there's a place for both. Not to mention that if Fria Ligan became the dominant RPG company and industry leader, we'd see a new "high-brow, cutting edge" emerge that differed from it.
Same old story. To be wide is to be low brow? Maybe or maybe not. If you take the easier way, then yes

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've suspected as much, but it's a bit subtle for people outside of the British boarding school to Oxbridge scene.
I helped build an amalgam roleplay setting on a forum that was an odd mix of Final Fantasy, steampunk, and stuff like Full Metal Alchemist and Vampire Hunter D and other anime influences, but built on a more American aesthetic sensibility.

The big secondary school in the setting ( I had a street fighting thief “townie” for the subforum set here) was named Oxbridge. 😂

Remove ads

Remove ads