Level Up (A5E) Stunning Assault Clarification

Huntedown

Villager
Last night we came to a debate about the maneuvers Stunning Assault.
I personally think that all melee attack should apply the Constitution Saving throw. My DM think that it shouldn't apply to off-hand attack.
Little back story, the player using Stunning assault is a Berzerker using 2 weapon, and pretty much built like a crit machine.
I do feel like a 3 point maneuvers should apply a good effect

Stunning Assault (3 points)
2nd degree Tempered Iron action
Prerequisites: Extra Attack
You strike your opponent with enough force to stun them.
When you activate this maneuver, you take the Attack action and make a weapon attack, as well as any additional attacks granted by Extra Attack. Until the start of your next turn, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack it makes a Constitution saving throw or is stunned until the end of your next turn.

TLDR: DM think that Stunning assault should be apply only on main attack (from the maneuver) and reactions. Or its too OP

Thoughts?

Last edited:

your reading is correct - until the start of your next turn, any melee weapon attack procs the con save. that includes off-hand attacks (and also reactions - try to move away? eat a stun!).

Huntedown

Villager
Is it possible that stunning assault has been wrongfully place has a 2nd degree rather than a 5th degree like maneuvers such as Blinding strikes from mirror glint?

Is it possible that stunning assault has been wrongfully place has a 2nd degree rather than a 5th degree like maneuvers such as Blinding strikes from mirror glint?
well, blinding strikes also overcomes blindsight/tremorsense (i.e. the normal counters to blindness), and lasts until the target successfully saves, whereas stunning assault doesn't ignore immunity to stunned and only lasts up until the start of your turn. although there is the point that blinding strikes lets the target save at the start of their turn instead of the end, which is...not great.

so i don't think stunning assault should be 5th degree, but i wouldn't disagree that it seems a bit much for 2nd.

Huntedown

Villager
Right now a dual-weilding using stunning assault could, in theory stun-lock a elite monster almost for 2-3 round if you consider that they would need to make up to 6 ST depending on the level of the multi-attack (3) + 2 extra attack from the off-hand

Right now a dual-weilding using stunning assault could, in theory stun-lock a elite monster almost for 2-3 round if you consider that they would need to make up to 6 ST depending on the level of the multi-attack (3) + 2 extra attack from the off-hand
well, an elite monster has elite recovery, so that stun is really more eating a legendary action (or resistance) then anything else (which is still pretty good).

but compare it to stunning strike (adept focus feature) - 1 exertion per attack, stun ends at the end of your next turn. stunning strike is more efficient in that you only need to spend as much exertion as you need to get the stun off, AND it lasts until your next turn meaning you can refresh the stun or do any number of things as needed before the stun wears off. it comes up a level later then stunning assault, but that's not a really big deal. so i dunno how out of hand it is in comparison to other existing elements of the game.

Remove ads