Stupid question...

nothingpoetic

First Post
Thinking about trying a dex based swashbuckler type of class in my next campaign, but I had one question. Obviously, Weapon-Finesse allows dex bonus on attack rolls, now I am wondering if I can add that same roll to damage?

I know I can add my ... wisdom right? to my damage Insightful strike... I think, but can I do that with Dex and if so what book and whats the feat?

Thanks guys

nothingpoetic

First Post
Actually I have another question..

Is there any feat or anything that can change a weapon's category (much like mithral does with armor)? I know Monkey Grip allows you to do that with Large weapons and two-weapon fighting, but does that also apply to say one-hand melee weapons to turn them into light weapons?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
To make a weapon finessable, look in DMG2 at the weapon templates. Specifically the feycraft weapon template does what you're looking for.

To add Dex to melee damage, Bo9S has a feat called Shadow Blade. It has a couple of requirements you'll need to meet, and it only works with a specific list of weapons.

Darklone

Swashbucklers add Int mod to damage. If you want to go the swashbuckling route, get Daring Outlaw for full sneak attack damage for a multiclassed Swashbuckling rogue.

Add some of the alternate Swashbuckling class features, you'll do fine. I had such a TWF dude in my group...

MithrasRahl

First Post
Just remember for a Swashbuckler/Rogue you'll need TWF, Martial Study - Shadow Hand, Martial Study - Shadow hand Stance, Shadowblade, and then you'll probably want Daring Outlaw as well.

nothingpoetic

First Post
I had forgotten about the insightful attack bonus that stacks with str. so that part of my question is answered. Now I am left with this...

Keeping in mind that Weapon Finesse is a class skill of the swashbuckler, and I would not want to waste it, how do I make a one-handed weapon, into a light weapon.

This is an issue because... I am trying to two-weapon fight with dual tridents. Oversized two weapon fighting is easy enough to attain (we are on a point buy system so upping str. is a no brainer) which makes my offhand trident into a light weapon. Why the crap is there a feat that turns my offhand weapon into a light weapon, but not one that turns my main hand weapon into a light weapon? Apparently I am not supposed to be trying to two weapon fight with weapon finesse... I digress.

So far the only solution that I can think of is using the first suggestion of feycraft in DMII. I take monkey grip to be able to use larger weapons, than get a feycrafted large sized trident (+1500 gp to whatever it costs to make a large trident). That would enable the trident that I use in my main hand to stay a 1d8 instead of dropping not only a weapon category but a size category as well.

That makes me head hurt... and I feel like there should be an easy way around the whole light weapon issue, anyone have any other ideas? (again this is only because swashbuckler has weapon finesse as a class ability that I am in this situation. I like everything else with the swashbuckler, including flavor, but can't get around this one issue.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
nothingpoetic said:
This is an issue because... I am trying to two-weapon fight with dual tridents. Oversized two weapon fighting is easy enough to attain (we are on a point buy system so upping str. is a no brainer) which makes my offhand trident into a light weapon. Why the crap is there a feat that turns my offhand weapon into a light weapon, but not one that turns my main hand weapon into a light weapon? Apparently I am not supposed to be trying to two weapon fight with weapon finesse... I digress.

If you use Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, you take TWF penalties as though your off-hand weapon is light. It doesn't allow you to treat your off-hand weapon as light for any other purpose, so you still can't use Weapon Finesse with it.

That makes me head hurt... and I feel like there should be an easy way around the whole light weapon issue, anyone have any other ideas?

You either want to go the Feycraft route, and use 1d6 tridents that are considered Light, or use Small tridents (also 1d6) at a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

Alternatively, ditch the tridents and go with Elven Thinblades - one-handed 1d8 Exotic weapons that can be used with Weapon Finesse.

-Hyp.

MithrasRahl

First Post
Go Grey Elf (+2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Str) and take the feat that allows you to use all racial weapons without penalty. Then use the Elven Thinblade, 1d8 dmg, 18-20 threat range, and you can use Weapon Finesse with it.

EDIT: Dangit, shoulda read all of Hypersmurfs post

nothingpoetic

First Post
So, if I use a weapon that is a size level lower it will move the weapon to a different weapon category?

I mean using small tridents - 1d6x2 is the same as using two light short swords, the only thing that changes is the flavor then?

Am I reading that right or am I just as confused?

Remove ads