• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupidest things PCs/DMs have done

Lalalei2001

Explorer
Entering an empty room containing nothing but an animated paintbrush working at an easel, Sprinter decided to let it paint his portrait. When the paintbrush finishing the painting, Sprinter's body disappeared and his soul was locked inside the painting.

The other party members then had great fun laughing at the hobbit's idiocy and tossing darts at the painting (after wisely breaking the brush and easel into itsy bitsy pieces).

shilsen

Adventurer
Lalalei2001 said:
Entering an empty room containing nothing but an animated paintbrush working at an easel, Sprinter decided to let it paint his portrait. When the paintbrush finishing the painting, Sprinter's body disappeared and his soul was locked inside the painting.

The other party members then had great fun laughing at the hobbit's idiocy and tossing darts at the painting (after wisely breaking the brush and easel into itsy bitsy pieces).
Was there anything in the room or adventure to indicate that it might be a bad idea, or was that just arbitrariness on the DM's part?

Wik

First Post
Fairly recently, in the first Savage Tide episode...

One of my players runs a dwarf who wears heavy armour and carries a tower shield. The group was investigating some thieves, and was ambushed in an alleyway. As the thieves made their getaway to an escape route nearby, the group was in hot pursuit.

They round the corner, and see one of the thieves jump down a well. While the group knows there's another entrance below (they were *just* investigating it) and starts heading in that direction, the dwarf gets stubborn and jumps into the well.

Naturally, he sinks about ten feet deep into water, and wearing armour, he's stuck there. With a crocodile ready to eat him. And a bunch of crossbowmen shooting at him.

Luckily, the goliath was able to fish the dwarf out of the well with some handy rope, and the dwarf only took damage from the fall and one crocodile bit (confound his high AC!).

KrazyHades

First Post
The worst thing that happened to a player of mine was this:
First, he's walking with the rest of the party down the path near to a lava flow, and the ground is a bit muddy. They had just wiped out all the bad guys in the dungeon at the top of the volcano.
As the PC walks, he's juggling a bottle of evil water (i forget what i called it at the time, but its basically the opposite of holy water), and he nearly drops it. In order to get it, he dives after it. On the tumble check, he gets a 1, a critical error. He tumbles to right next to the lava, on the rutted ground. As he starts running back to the party, he makes a balance check (b/c of the difficult terrain) and gets ANOTHER 1. He falls INTO the lava. As he falls, he rolls a reflex save to catch his falling (again) bottle of evil water, and gets a third 1!!! I ruled that as he fell into the lava the bottle fell into his mouth and he DROWNED WHILE BURNING TO DEATH!

It was REALLY funny.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
KrazyHades said:
On the tumble check, he gets a 1, a critical error.

Nope. Critical misses are only for saves and attacks, unless you houseruled it differently.

Plus, it's more a case of bad luck as an undersupply of Smart.

Still, it's funny (for everyone but the victim, of course).

Numion

First Post
Lalalei2001 said:
My cousin tried to metamorph into a fire elemantal but rolled a 20 and became it permanently. That is all fine and good but we were in a very very gasous swamp and he had forgotten that.

BOOOM! No more party.

Lalalei2001, most of your posts in this thread smack of definite DM stupidity instead of PC stupidity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads