• Maybe

Votes: 114 41.0%
  • What is "D&D Insider"?

Votes: 5 1.8%

kaomera

Explorer
Agamon said:
???

I think I'd rather play WoW than sit down at some random time with some random DM and some random group playing some random adventure. And hate is a strong word, but I really, really, really don't like MMORPGs.
One word: Guilds. Seriously, if I run a pick-up game and the players are good I'm going to at least jot down their names and give them first shot at any other games I run. If possible I'll invite them into a regular campaign. And I hope that the players will be doing the same thing from their end. With any luck the the software will have stuff to support this idea.

Keefe the Thief said:
You. Cannot. Revoke. The. OGL.
I hereby revoke the OGL. :p :p :p

Kae'Yoss

First Post
kaomera said:
One word: Guilds.

Shush! If anyone from Wizards reads that word, they might use in in their PR campaign and conquer the world! ;)

Seriously, though: D&D Guilds could work with a tool like this. It seems to have the potential to offer sufficient eye-candy, and with Wizards behind it, they can reach enough people with it. All they have to do is to keep the cost reasonable and they might even get me (I admit that there are some people here on ENWorld I'd like to have the occasional D&D game with, but since they usually live on a different continent, hopping over for a quick dungeoncrawl is not exactly an option).

bloodydrake

First Post
i put maybe but its a big maybe.
if theres a cheaper priced player mode for access to the digital table and character vault i might think about it. If its all or nothing it will probably end up being nothing

Bobitron

Explorer
Considering the amount of content and the convenience, absolutely. $120 a year is less than I spend a month on physical game books or pdf's as it is.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
$120 a year is more than I spend on books, and since the books aren't going away, Wizards clearly hopes we'll just spend more on the DI.

I don't play enough to get $120 a year's worth of value out of an ongoing subscription, and unlike paper products, I can't just bank things on a bookshelf until I have a spat of gaming.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I was 150% go on everything for 4th Edition until I found out that Mac support won't be available out of the box. Right now I'm a maybe, but if they had the digital tabletop working at launch for Mac I'd be a definite and so would about 12 of my friends.

Not planning on it once it goes pay, but we'll see -- if my some of my gaming buddies in Atlanta wanted to run a virtual tabletop campaign it might push me to join.

I've tried to sign up for the current free period just to see the previews, but although I've joined it doesn't actually let me sign in.

seasong

First Post
I don't play MMOs, and D&D Insider does not appeal to me for its MMO aspects. And the social aspects, as other people have pointed out, are better on EN World. So I'm looking at it purely from an actual produced content standpoint, and it doesn't look likely to stack up . . .

Two months of D&D Insider could also buy you:
- $20 in PDFs
- A year of Pyramid (which is 100-300 new articles/essays, plus everything in the archive up to that point)

If they manage 50-150 new articles/essays per month, incidentally, I will eat my words and sign up. Or if they drop the equivalent of an entire 200+ creature bestiary every other month. Or any proportion of the two.

I plan to buy the 4e books. Eight years is a fine period of time for a new edition, in my opinion, particularly if they continue to improve things I like. But D&D Insider looks very suboptimal for my money.

Remove ads