• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Succubus Polymorph Healing

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Is it possible for a succubus, or any creature that can polymorph at will, to completely heal lost hit points by spending some time shifting through a series of shapes?

Jack Simth

First Post
Well, technically - it's a spell like ability, useable at will, that is just like the spell (by definition) excpet that it can't be counterspelled and any listed exceptions; as the Succubi's listing doesn't modify the polymorph in any way other than limiting it to humanoids, they can (unlike a Silver Dragon's Alternate Form, which specifies that no healing occurs). Cheesy, but by RAW, it works.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, that was what made 10th level shifters overpowered in 3.0: the ability to shift at will. In my (at the time nigh-epic) game, I found that the healing factor made a bigger difference than any other single issue with constant shifting.

Thanee

First Post
Why limit it? It's just like fast healing, basically, but you need to spend actions on it.

That's not broken or anything.

Bye
Thanee

moritheil

First Post
fenzer said:
Is it possible for a succubus, or any creature that can polymorph at will, to completely heal lost hit points by spending some time shifting through a series of shapes?

I don't see why not. Of course, that's not exactly an intelligent thing to do in the middle of battle, unless it has some clever plan that involves using those shapes.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Personally, I think Change Shape is much more appropriate for succubi.

Change Shape
A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. A creature cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. Changing shape results in the following changes to the creature: The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. The creature loses the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its original form. The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks. The creature retains the ability scores of its original form. The creature retains its hit points and saves. The creature retains any spellcasting ability it had in its original form, although it must be able to speak intelligibly to cast spells with verbal components and it must have humanlike hands to cast spells with somatic components. The creature is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.

apesamongus

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Personally, I think Change Shape is much more appropriate for succubi.
That's how we play it too (with a Succubus in the party). Also makes it easier to spot (magically) the imposter since type doesn't change.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
apesamongus said:
That's how we play it too (with a Succubus in the party). Also makes it easier to spot (magically) the imposter since type doesn't change.

I don't know of a spell that lets you detect type. Sure, Charm Person won't work, but then the other guy could just have made his save.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads