• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sucker Punch?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Sucker Punch came out in March?

I saw the trailer for SP a year ago, and I was very excited about it. It immediately went on my [very short] list of movies to see in the theater. But then I never heard or saw anything else about it. For some reason, I just happened to think of it today, and checked imdb. It was in theaters in March?

Holy crap! Was this kept quiet, or have I just been under a rock?

Anyone see it? Is it as cool as the trailer makes it seem?

Bullgrit

horacethegrey

First Post
That must have been some rock you were under, if you missed this.

But back to movie, I'm sorry to say that it's bad, really bad. But bad in the sense that it's cheesy and over the top and worth watching for those things alone, rather than bad that it makes your eyes bleed just by watching it.

Zack Snyder wants you to believe this to be a serious flick about a girl escaping her hellish life by indulging her inner fantasies, but seems more like a flimsy excuse for him to indulge in his fanboy imagery of girls with guns, nazi zombies, dragons, orcs, and whatever else he can dig up from fiction.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It got mixed reviews, even among geek fandom reviewers. Some even went so far as to feel we were being insulted by being pandered to.

Last edited:

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I guess I should be sheepish here when I admit that my wife and I really liked Sucker Punch (though I'm really not ashamed of that). And I couldn't help but think that several of the set-piece fights could serve as great inspiration for RPG battles. I haven't adapted any of them yet for my games, but I could envision doing so in the future.

Nebten

First Post
It is a FUN movie. And one I'm glad I watched in the theatres and not a home. Why? Because of all the imagery and different colors used throughout the film. Its one of the few movies I wish I actually saw in 3D.

Sure its real life anime chicks fighting every fanboy wish list out there ( I don't think there were pirates though). But my girlfriend and I had a great time with this popcorn movie.

I have no desire to see it again at home nor will it win any Oscars, but if you want to be brain dead for a while, there you go.

Crothian

First Post
The fantasy parts and parts that don't happen are pretty cool but the bookend reality story is where the title comes from. I think a lot of people that didn't like it were expecting a different movie.

Krug

Newshound
Well the DVD is out now. I watched it last week. Thought it was horrid. Action scene mashups with little point and exploitative when it claims to be empowering.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads