D&D General suggestions for flooded subterranean cavern complex (any edition)

CapnZapp

Legend
Okay so my heroes will soon embark on a quest involving flooded ruin chambers. Specifically, the ruins are Thassalonian (from Paizo's Golarion world), but I'm asking generally: do you know of any cool atmospheric dungeons with the "flooded" theme?

I want to use any dungeon map you find for the following adventure seed:

Wisher's Well. This landmark consists of a 30-foot-tall stone tower with an interior that drops away into a 100-foot-deep shaft ending in a deep pool of water. All manner of monsters dwell in the flooded chambers below, including a tribe of skum, reactivated "ancient Thassilonian guardians" and a slightly larger tribe of faceless stalkers who have been surgically altered to breathe water.

The main thing I would like not having to do from scratch are the dungeon maps. Monsters and Pathfinder 2 stats I can manage.

So any flooded dungeon you found atmospheric, moody and cool (AD&D, 3E, whatever) would be appreciated! Crisp clear color maps would be most welcome! :)

Coroc

Hero
I do not have any instant solution for you, but just take any normal dungeon you like and proclaim that it is submerged now. What would be perfect would be 2 level dungeon with the lower level submerged but not all of the "dry" areas of the upper levels reachable without a dive.
Connect the lower level to your large pool somewhere and there you go. If you retcon anyway that should not be a problem.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Temple of the Ooze in Out of the Abyss is actively flooding when the characters enter; the goal is to escape before it floods completely.

Tomb of the Nine Gods in Tomb of Annihilation has partially flooded areas. Actually, iirc there are more than one partially flooded dungeon in ToA.

MarkB

Legend
I don't think it's very extensive, but I seem to recall some partially-submerged sea caves featuring in the early Sasserine section of Savage Tide. They featured some nasty waterlogged zombie variants who could unhinge their jaws for a vicious bite attack.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If you have any of the 4E online Dungeon Magazines, The Last Breaths of Ashenport adventure has a dungeon beneath the temple that is dedicated to Dagon that has some watery parts (and some dry parts). Probably not flooded enough for what it seems you are looking for, but it does have a bunch of water-demon-creature type encounters in it. There's also a full color map for it (although if you used it as-is, you'd need to photoshop out the numbered circles from it.)

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
The Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan is part flooded.

I ran that for a group out of the Tales from the Yawning Portal 5e adaption and it was great fun.

It loses something with the tournament clock removed, but just the inability to rest because of the toxic air is a great motivator.

Remove ads