D&D 5E Suggestions For Variant Class Features

You could always just double ability score bonus and add extra weapon dice.

So at level 5 you might do Strength*2 + 4D6 with a greatsword. The two big disadvantages would be that everything hinges on one rol (but would even out so maybe not an issue) and overkill. I'd probably look at dealing with the overkill by stealing the cleave mechanic from Greatweapon Master (but probably make the additional attack only do regular damage, not double).
On the all or nothing issue. 13th Age has a power where you can reroll a miss for half damage.
Perhaps that's something that could happen here. I don't think I'd do it every round, because then you might as well just stay with the current system.

But you could add an ability say: you may reroll a missed melee attack. If you hit you do half damage. You may do this a number of times per short rest equal to your proficiency modifier.

Or the no resources versions would.
If you miss and the D20 roll is even you may reroll the attack for half damage.
(Since this is the sort of situation where the flexible attack mechanic works).

Edit: Actually this doesn't work. It increases DPR. However if you don't multiply strength and you allow the reroll on every roll then it would pretty much even out - at least for two attacks.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I'm not sure what you mean exactly?

I think there's lots of potential to do cool things with Action Surge. It's basically a 3 times a day resource, so instead of doing your full range of attacks again it could be used to implement something more like a 4e Daily power.

So for example (to pick a basic example),

Brute Strike: Spend an action surge. Make an attack. If you hit triple your weapon dice. If you miss, your action surge is not expended.

Or

Whirlwind Attack: Make a single melee attack against every adjacent enemy. At level 11 double your damage dice dice for this attack.
Yes, that is the type of thing I am talking about.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A 4e-like Druid ability to change shape into a generic form whose AC and attack stats are based on your class level - instead of changing into one of the MM-listed beasts. As you gain levels you can add other features (fly, swim, climb) from a list. Players are stuck with providing the fluff and an animal they kinda look like.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A 4e-like Druid ability to change shape into a generic form whose AC and attack stats are based on your class level - instead of changing into one of the MM-listed beasts. As you gain levels you can add other features (fly, swim, climb) from a list. Players are stuck with providing the fluff and an animal they kinda look like.
Seems like this could be done with the Wild fire spirit style stat blocks.

Remove ads