• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions to replace Halflings

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Turtlefolk

I don't have any Mystara- amazing, since I have most of everything from that era- but I can see them as:

1) Starting off size S, and growing one size category every 5 levels

2) Natural Armor (increasing with age)

3) Natural attack (snapping bite increasing with size)...possibly with an Engulf as well.

4) Powerful build and stability

5) Natural sense of direction

6) Land movement 15' at all sizes and encumberances, 30'+ in water

7) Hold breath 4x normal

8) Torpor (Cold sensitivity that affects them like a Slow spell).

9) Racial penalties to a host of Dex based skills and initiative.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Mercule said:
I like the gremlins idea. You probably wouldn't even have to rework the stats, just the appearance.

Whisper gnomes from RoS looked pretty cool, too.

Also for very urban-settings I imagine Gremlins could serve well as a street-urchin race. Just imagine flocks of Gremlin children causing mischief and mayhem as they run muddy through the streets, their agile hands and quick bodies enabling them to deftly climb over stalls, over walls, and into windows.

For a PoL campaign that could add a real-sense of urbanization/class-systems to see these Gremlin children running about, as High-Class Eladrin and Humans gasp and try and shoo them away.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I like the idea of giant rats - skaven or slitherin, that sort of thing. But then again, I have a deep and abiding love for creepy sentient giant rats.

Drkfathr1

First Post
I have to throw my support in for the ratfolk too. I think the Hafling stats would work just fine for anthro rats. Plus considering what your going for fluff-wise, I think the concept fits better than goblins, reptiles, or amphibians.

Intrope

First Post
Piratecat said:
I like the idea of giant rats - skaven or slitherin, that sort of thing. But then again, I have a deep and abiding love for creepy sentient giant rats.
Ironic! :D

It even works well with the river-dweller bit; Rats are actually rather good swimmers.

Heck, Capybaras are already big enough to be 'people'!

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Wightbred said:
None of my players has ever played or will ever play a halfling because of how they look. Regardless of how powerful they are or how cool I try to make them (eg: not even the Darksun version). For me there is no point having them as a PC race as they will never be used.

If it is ONLY because how they look, change how they look. Make them look like gllum, or like small beetle-men, or whatever, and keep the stats.

If there are really other reasons why your group has never played halflings, make sure you know what it is before you go through all the hassle of replacing them - with something that could have the same problem. Maybe they don't like small sized races.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

P.S. If you really want to replace them with a 4ed monster, how about gnomes. I hear they get lairs. *grin*

Remove ads