Sultans of Smack

Black Arrow

First Post
Naga smack query

Archer said:
That naga smack is a little hard to follow for me. I don't follow the str x3 and damage x3 on the first attack. I see str x2 for power lunge or mantis leap and damage x2 for flying kick. Potions of true strike aren't a valid item. Constriction lets you deal 1.5x str damage instead of just normal strength damage on a grapple check, not do double damage on grapple attacks. What is the justification for falling damage? The smack works on evil medium sized creatures without reach weapons with no allies, a bit of a stretch even for a smack. The bracers of sure striking aren't adding anything to the smack and neither is the ring of jumping or the striding and springing. You are using bands and bracers?. I see the initial attack damage as 112 avg. and each follow up as 4d8 + 24. You forget the -2 to hit for size and the amulet and gloves don't stack. Mantis Leap and Power Lunge are redundant as are flying kick feat and flying kick from tiger's leap sandals but naga don't have feet. Creatures without legs seem like they wouldn't be able to use the jump skill at all, much like creatures without hands can't pick locks.

A non smack character could kill the naga before she ran through the 4-action warm up of activating haste, righteous might, shocking grasp and rage.

I have to agree that Rokugani Constrictor and other AEG naga are light on the ECL. The OA Constrictor has an ECL of 12 or so and it has a move of 20 instead of 40.

Hi Archer,

I intended to write sooner, but was locked out from posting a reply this past month. Morrus just fixed this. Now, to respond to your comments...

Power lunge and Mantis leap are unnamed Str bonuses and should stack accordingly. I replaced Sandals of Tiger Leap with 'Bands of Tiger Leap' to fit the naga anatomy... same slot, but as an unnamed bonus it should also stack with Flying Kick...hence x3 Str, x3 charge. This would probably be worse using Reaper's suggestion to use Rhino hide and forgetting the grapple altogether.

You're right about constriction dealing only x1.5 Str bonus. Take off 6 dmg from each grapple attack. However. Power attack can arguably be used for each grapple 'attack roll,' which could add up to 10 additional dmg per successful grapple check, more than off-setting this (not sure whether this would carry over to constriction dmg. Maybe not).

Falling object damage per DMG (p. 89), treating the naga's 5 ton body landing on the target as that object.

Smack requires an evil opponent for smite. Non-medium-size target will change BAB/grappling checks. Bracers of striking are for fiends and other creatures with high DR. More damage could also be achieved by adding flaming, shocking, and other magic effects to the bracers. Amulet and gloves do stack, as long as the bonuses are different. Good catch on the initial size BAB penalty (becomes a bonus when grappling). Amulet of mighty fists +3 would offset this (and add more dmg), but would be expensive.

Ring or jumping/striding & springing were for maxing out the jump skill, which is employed with the charge, and would allow the naga to circumvent most buddies of a bad guy hiding in the back.

Shocking grasp could be turned on long before any combat. This smack assumes preparation time for the naga. If not, smack would proceed with only haste being activated, per 'large-size' addendum. Naga could always be polymorphed [well] before-hand into a standard huge size constrictor naga, which avoids some impetus for righteous might too. I don't have Rokugan campaign book with me now, but monks are designed to be expert jumpers ('leap of the clouds'), and the constrictor's favored class IIRC is monk, so I assume they can jump.

In any case, I designed this smack to combine two effective grapping techniques -- monk unarmed attacks and constriction. I may add edits if I have time. Cheers!

Jeremy

Explorer
Re: Shifter Smackdown!

Curmudgeon said:
Like it? Clearly, I'm taking advantage of two "broken" things: the hydra's move + attack capacity (probably should be downgraded to "pounce"), and the use of templates for shapechanging purposes (should be disallowed for polymorph self, wild shape, and maybe even the shapechange spell).
But then, finding the seams in the rules is what this thread is all about, isn't it?

Welcome to the boards! :) Glad you liked it, a lot of people have had a lot of fun here and that is one creative smack! I'm not sure if using templates is allowed, I know it is specifically disallowed for polymorph self from which wild shape is based, but I'm not sure if it's disallowed from the new revised wild shape in master of the wild or greater wildshape, though my bet is we'll soon find out it is.

Very nice use of different forms abilities. Very fun stuff. Hope it turns out to be legal. :)

Jeremy

Explorer
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Combo's by the self-entitled "Lord of Munchkins":

<snip>

I have about a dozen more some where, but these are all the ones that I can think of right now

That's some very hot stuff! If you find that second dozen, by all means throw them up there, this is great stuff. :D

Aloïsius

First Post
What about a netbook of smackdown ? We need a template form (so that all smackdowns will be easily readable), a validation process (so that all smackdowns are legit), and voilà, we have the most popular netbook ever made. What do you think ?

Ave Rage

First Post
Can anyone make a bard-smack down? And not lv.1bard/rogue3/etc etc but a pure Bard.

Pretty much every class has a main-theme they can exploit:
Wiz- magic
Druid- animal/change shape
Rogue - sneak attack
Cleric - the whole class

But the bard has music and some lesser spells. I just cant see any way of getting to even a 100 dmg let alone 200+.

Here's a straight Bard smackdown.

Bard 16

Charisma 28 (18+4+6)

Skill Focus: Use Magic Device

Use Magic Device: +29 (19+7+3)

Use your insane Use Magic Device and scrolls to duplicate a wizard/cleric smackdown of your choice.

And here is the most damaging Smackdown EVAR. The Smackdown to end all Smackdowns. After this post you'll close the thread because theire's nothing left to Smack. If you'll please cue the music.

You need.

1 Psionicist (Telepathy), of at least 6th level with a Charisma of at least 13 and an item that casts Haste, Schism, or any similar power.

2 Creatures (A and B), preferably with low will saves.

Round 1:
1) Activate Haste.
2) Manifest Fate Link, linking A to B
3) Do not die

Round 2:
1) Manifest Fate Link, linking B to A
2) Deal at least 1 point of damage to either A or B.
3) Run.

Total Damage: Infinity

That's right, Infinity damage with three 3rd level Powers, and two rounds.

What happens is a Fate Link feedback device. As soon as A takes any damage, B takes it, which causes A to take the damage again, causing B to take the damage yet again, and so on, the net effect being damage to rocket skyward so quickly that both creatures explode in fountains of blood, but not before taking enough damage to wipe out the universe.

Impeesa

Explorer
Aloïsius said:
What about a netbook of smackdown ? We need a template form (so that all smackdowns will be easily readable), a validation process (so that all smackdowns are legit), and voilà, we have the most popular netbook ever made. What do you think ?

Quite some time ago, I had an interesting idea... what about a web site devoted to smackdowns as well as more generally useable min/max builds? Have them in a searchable database, with a system to allow for reader comments, or something like that. It really wouldn't be all that hard to set up, provided someone had server space that allows PHP and SQL...

--Impeesa--

Riveneye

First Post
Hmmm, I do know PHP and mySQL, and have access to a host that supports both. I don't know if my host would really be suitable for such a thing though. But, if you really want to start this up and have no where else to turn, give me a yell.

Burne

First Post
Thank you DM with a Vengence, just last night I was bemoaning the lack of an infinite damage Smackdown loop at our Sunday night game. Now the catch is you need a monster that can take an infinite amount of damage without dying (thus ruining the fun).
Vampiric Tarrasques, perhaps....

Remove ads