Level Up (A5E) Sunset Riders Fantasy Western! (Campaign Setting thoughts)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Also, I played Coyote & Crow today and dang if they hadn't turned North America upside down in the maps - so clearly now I recall where I got that inspiration to suggest that. And also, because it was done in C&C, maybe don't do it lol

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So as I wait for responses from cultural consultants I've started building out a framework for the setting's organizations and such.

I mainly want to put the focus of the game in the Great Plains region and the western desert with the Great Basin in particular being the "Gold Rush" zone. Yeah, I know the real world gold rush hit California hard, but this is a metaphorical gold rush not a literal gold rush. I'll probably have a real gold rush hit the Kilnlands, as well. Or have already hit the Kilnlands in the recent past?

But yeah. The inland sea retreated, so the Great Basin is a huge place for exploration, resource-seeking expeditions, and land-rushing. Especially for adventurers.

So the main organizations that I'm looking at are:

1) Stage Coach Services
2) Messenger Services
3) Weapons Manufacturers
4) Rail Companies
5) Mercenary Groups
6) Bandit Gangs

The first two are very important as the fastest way to travel between locations out in the west, and because the Pony Express is an iconic part of the wild west. Their mail services were a -huge- part of what made the west what it was. The ability to communicate between towns and villages was huge, and having an iconic organization like that, even as a background detail, feels really compelling to me.

Also Telegraphs like Western Union, but that's less iconic, I think, even if it has a strong purpose to show technological advances.

Weapons Manufacturers are important for two really big reasons: Colt and Masamune. Colt defined a huge chunk of the west with their single action army service pistol, the Peacemaker, starting in the 1870s by upsetting Smith and Wesson's death-grip on the market. Though Winchester kept the rifle and carbine market on lock for a goodly while, even competing against both companies. Don't get me wrong! Remington's revolvers and The Springfield musket were a massive part of the Civil War, and their later models would define both World Wars, but...

You get the idea. Guns and their brands and their names make up a significant portion of the identity of the wild west. So having manufacturers mass-producing guns and swords and armors and such is kind of needed to represent that aspect of historical identity.

But then there's Masamune. Because bespoke items crafted by masters is -also- hugely important both to the wild west mythos and it's influences from lands so far west they become 'east'. Iconic weapons crafted by master weaponsmiths also helps to create the false dichotomy of worthiness between mass-produced and artisinal craftsmanship. And let's not forget the number of dandy characters in wild west fiction who wear expensive highly tailored suits and the like. The silk tophat, the carved cane with the hidden gun, the ivory inlaid revolvers with aces and card suites engraved in the barrels and chambers

So yeah... Weapon companies are also important, even if they're functionally producing the exact same weapon... though... are they? I could give different revolvers slightly different ranges, damage values, and secondary properties. Could have two pistols that are almost identical except for the weight, but the heavier pistol can be used to pistol-whip for 1d6 bludgeoning damage, +1 fire if recently fired. It's a thought.

Rail Companies are likewise important 'cause we need to know who the local potential threat is. Are they working with Xaveor to spread his imperial interests and robber barony? Or are they bringing connection and travel, trade and people, to a tiny town with a little platform and a stop on the line? Whether or not they're going to disrupt the travel of the herds or plan their routes to account for such things.

Mercenary Groups are important because they can help to establish war history. No, I don't plan on having a Civil War analogue in the setting, but there's various nations in Acadia, and nations war and conquer. Always have. The remnants of a kingdom and it's military also make for Ronin fodder which are a huge influence for the lone cowboy concept. Though the latter tends to focus on a personal relationship both with the enemy and a recently killed loved one, rather than an economic or feudal relationship. Still. Fertile ground for storytelling and provides the world with a strong color.

After all, the survivors of any war or tragedy make for powerful heroic figures looking for justice or just a way to live in the world. Whether it's Durin's Sons or a Ronin. Having mercenary groups that helped to -do- that terrible evil and set the hero on their path is pretty important. Just as important as the last survivors clinging to one another and finding a new way of life.

Bandit Gangs. I hardly think I need to explain this one. And they need to be at least -somewhat- loosey goosey since many narrators are probably gonna wanna build up their own specific Bandit Gangs for their campaigns. Particularly with connections to the players at their table. But having a few "Legendary Outlaws" is important. Your Billy the Kids. Jesses James. Docs Holiday. You know how it is!

Without a few of these figures in the background, the west just wouldn't feel like the west.

The important takeaway before this post gets away from me:
I wanna know if any of you would like to put your fictional character names into the setting.

I want to clarify that I don't want to use your real names. While in theory that's fun and interesting, having your real name on the internet can be a problem. And giving your name to strangers on the internet is way more dangerous than giving it to the Fey.

But. Having the name of an Elven Bladesmith to take up a role similar to Masamune. Or a gnome artificer to be the setting's Remington or Colt? Could be fun and allow people to point to their own little piece of Acadia.

Faolyn

(she/her)
My next question is, how magical is this setting, and how much can magic be applied to technology? Are your trains going to be purely steam, or are you going for lightning rails?

Steampunkette

Supporter
My next question is, how magical is this setting, and how much can magic be applied to technology? Are your trains going to be purely steam, or are you going for lightning rails?
1) Very magical.
This is a High Fantasy Wild West concept. There's going to be magic schools where people study to become warcasters, wizards, and the like. Eldritch Horrors and Fiends trading power for pieces of one's soul. Where Comprehend Languages and Tongues allowed the first explorers and settlers to communicate flawlessly with the indigenous peoples to avoid warfare and imperial conquest through friendly negotiations. There will be magical armors and weapons, rituals in the woodlands, and ghost riders in the sky.

2) As much as one wishes to.
Fireball scrolls being repackaged as bullets that can be fired from a mystic focus gun. A Bard amplifying a six string acoustic guitar so everyone in town can hear her twanging away. A Stage Coach line to Hell that has nightmares in place of a horse team. Continual Flame spells in lanterns and on candelabras in a wealthy oil tycoon's mansion. People launching fireworks and fireballs into the sky for big festivals and celebrations.

3) A Bit of Both.
Steam engines is the basis, with heavy coal mining in the Acadian range in the east to fuel the hungry furnaces. But the Shadow Dragon is ever on the lookout for innovations that put more money into his hoard. So there'll be efforts toward binding fire elementals into fuel-boxes and boilers to power trains, or storm elementals to make maglev trains. But I'm also kind of planning to have a special inobtanium type magical material that burns very hot and very long as a way to make a traditional steam train run in a very efficient manner. Y'know, to fuel a war between nations over however much of the stuff exists and the places it can be mined/gathered. Because even if the Railroad Robber Baron successfully gets fire-elemental trains or maglev lightning rails, there will still be old steam engines that can do the job with this stuff in the fuel-box until they break down beyond repair.

And why let them go to rust and waste precious resources? Run them ragged and replace them with the new stuff when they finally break down.

Steampunkette

Supporter
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Rodrigo Gonzalez Toledo did this artwork for Joseph Bailey's 2016 "Spellslinger" series.

He also did a bunch of work on Starfinder and such... so... thinking maybe I should reach out because holy crap that looks cool.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
What is the role, if any, of the Church (Christianity in its various forms - sadly used to justify the various genocides) and the church (the local center of the small to medium towns that dotted the West)?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What is the role, if any, of the Church (Christianity in its various forms - sadly used to justify the various genocides) and the church (the local center of the small to medium towns that dotted the West)?

Yeah the Preacher is a western archetype that might see some variation depending on the approach to this question, then there’s the whole history of Witchcraft, Hexing and Indigenous religion to consider

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah the Preacher is a western archetype that might see some variation depending on the approach to this question, then there’s the whole history of Witchcraft, Hexing and Indigenous religion to consider
This is a manifestation of the concern I have about how Western this can be without any of the historical context the genre is based upon.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Precisely 0 and also all of it.

There will not be Christianity in this setting 'cause it's not going to be Earth. But there will be fantasy religions in its place because this is meant to be a high fantasy D&D style setting with various gods and clerics and stuff.

That said, I'm definitely thinking I'll only do a handful of religions, and then some cults where people lose their souls for power and stuff. But those religions will likely form an important part of a given community's culture and the local priest, pastor, or other spiritual leader will have social power on par with the mayor.

Like maybe there's only two or three real "Religions". One to a handful of 'powerful gods', one to a plethora of saints and folk heroes, and one of animism. And then depending on which town you go to it'll be one of the three as the main religion with shrines for the other two.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Like maybe there's only two or three real "Religions". One to a handful of 'powerful gods', one to a plethora of saints and folk heroes, and one of animism. And then depending on which town you go to it'll be one of the three as the main religion with shrines for the other two.
Oh, I like those ideas. Then the idea of an itinerant preacher/monk/scholar who comes around and serves those of their faith for whom there isn't a large enough population to support a full-time local person

It would be cool if in the default setting, none of the religions were "expansionist" (GMs of course can change things as they want) but instead all got along together. Much like how Shinto and Buddhism pretty much get along side by side in Japan

Remove ads