Super Hero Movies. I Don't Get Them?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. For the current Marvel and DC universes I have seen very little of them. I have seen the Avengers and the two Guardians of the Glaxy movies and I enjoyed them but not to the extent I would rush out and watch the rest of them.

For the older ones I have seen most of the Batmans but not the 1997 one or the 3rd one of the Dark Knight Trilogy. Going back further I did watch the Christopher Reeves superman movies but I can't remember what ones I watched and don't recall enjoying them that much.

Now I am getting old so that might be it but I thought about what comics I read as a kid in the 80's and kept into my teenage years. They were.

The Disney and Warner brothers ones. Basically Bugs Bunny and Scrooge Mc Duck.

But mostly European ones probably borrowed off my parents.

Asrterix and Obelix.

And WW2 ones that were British.

Commando
War
Battle

Other British comics were Buster, Whizzer and Chips and Beano.

Apart from Asterix one of my favourites was The Fighting Major because it had New Zealand soldiers in Crete and IIRC it was a Commando comic. My parents for the most part let me read whatever I liked including their books. At school when I was 10 years old starting intermediate (1989) I was reading stuff on WW2 in full colour that included the holocaust and nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and I would make toy planes of Spitfires etc out of cardboard (and bought models). The local school library had those books on the reading table at the back.

Even as a kid I thought the super hero stuff was stupid. I didn't mind some of the super hero movies- 1989's Batman and Batman Returns but even then I liked things like Labyrinth and Terminator 2 more.

So I am wondering if you're not American and mostly skipped the Marvel/DC stuff as a kid is it common to not really care about Batman, Superman and Spiderman. Those were about the only 3 you heard much of here along with Wonder Women (there was a TV show) but the rest of them even now I only have a vague idea of who they are. And I only vaguely remember child hood TV shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Wonder Women, Dungeons and Dragons, Dukes of Hazard, Greatest American Hero, Chips, Knight Rider. I remember watching them and theme musics but very few scenes, characters and storylines. A can remember individual MacGyver episodes/plotlines though and rewatched Battlestar Galactica a few years back. Memories of movies are better probably because I watched them multiple times on VHS.

I remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4C7vSByMM

But not what the show was about.

So yeah all these years later I don't actively dislike super hero stuff but I struggle with it.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I know lots of people who aren't interested in Super Hero movies.

I also know a guy who wasn't interested in them until he started dating a woman who was.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Yeah Super Hero movies are OK. I mean who does not want to watch the origin stories of Batman and Spiderman over and over again?

ccs

41st lv DM
And I only vaguely remember child hood TV shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Wonder Women, Dungeons and Dragons, Dukes of Hazard, Greatest American Hero, Chips, Knight Rider. I remember watching them and theme musics but very few scenes, characters and storylines.

Well, to be fair there weren't really any plots/storylines in these that an opening Star Wars into crawl style paragraph can't sum up for the entire series. 70s & 80s US TV wasn't exactly mentally taxing....

I remember this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb4C7vSByMM
But not what the show was about.

Ahh, The Greatest American Hero! :)
A normal high school teacher (science if I recall) receives a super-powered suit from aliens. And promptly loses the instruction manual. Each episode is him stopping some crime/solving some problem by blundering about, with the aid of a govt. agent.

So yeah all these years later I don't actively dislike super hero stuff but I struggle with it.

Don't struggle with it. If one comes along that looks interesting? Watch it. If not....

I will recommend the following though:
The Incredibles - yes, it's a Pixar movie. But it's also one of the best superhero movies ever put on screen. Its sequel isn't bad either, just not as great as the original.
Aquaman - Do you like action movies? Do you like FX? Do you like your comic book movies to remember that they're comic book movies & keep the look & tone?
The Rocketeer

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Asterix and Obelix were superheroes, putting them in ancient celtic Gaul just changes the setting and if you liked the old War comics then try Captain America the First Avenger - it has a WW2 setting, though unfortunately no ANZAC soldiers:p Wonder Womans has a WW1 setting and might be a good option too.

Of course growing up watching British TV when I think of the Avengers my first point of reference is John Steed and Emma Peel rather than Tony Stark and crew.

my father use to read the old Commando comics (its where we all learnt the phrase achtung achtung, spreken de deutch!) and we also had Beano and Buster comics around but I never got into the humour in them really. Later my cousins introduced me to 2000AD and thus Judge Dread, Rogue Trooper and Nemesis the Warlock. My preference however was for reading Tarzan novels, Greek, Norse and Polynesian Hero Myth and dads Phantom ~ The Ghost Who Walks comics.

Nonetheless, the point I think is that everyone has different taste - you don't like superheroes, I still find war movies depressing but happen to like 'Hero' stories.

Well, to be fair there weren't really any plots/storylines in these that an opening Star Wars into crawl style paragraph can't sum up for the entire series. 70s & 80s US TV wasn't exactly mentally taxing....

A normal high school teacher (science if I recall) receives a super-powered suit from aliens. And promptly loses the instruction manual. Each episode is him stopping some crime/solving some problem by blundering about, with the aid of a govt. agent.

Hey! Bill Bixbys Incredible Hulk had some great social commentary in David Banners struggles to find his cure (don't make me angry Mr Mcgee, you wont like me when I'm angry) and its not like villain of the week isnt still the basic formula of TV 'action' shows

Anyway my family loved The Incredible Hulk and Lynda Carters Wonder Women, Christopher Reeves Superman, and the Greatest American Hero, Automan, Knightrider, CHiPS, the Dukes of Hazard and all those 70/80s offerings from the US.

ccs

41st lv DM
Hey! Bill Bixbys Incredible Hulk had some great social commentary in David Banners struggles to find his cure (don't make me angry Mr Mcgee, you wont like me when I'm angry) and its not like villain of the week isnt still the basic formula of TV 'action' shows

Sure, the Hulk had some good individual social commentary. Wich made it better than most shows of its type at the time. But there still wasn't anything you had to keep track of plot wise week to week. You can watch any random episode & get almost exactly as much out of it - wich is infinitely more than a random episode of CHiPS will provide.

Zardnaar

Legend

Don't struggle with it. If one comes along that looks interesting? Watch it. If not....

I will recommend the following though:
The Incredibles - yes, it's a Pixar movie. But it's also one of the best superhero movies ever put on screen. Its sequel isn't bad either, just not as great as the original.
Aquaman - Do you like action movies? Do you like FX? Do you like your comic book movies to remember that they're comic book movies & keep the look & tone?
The Rocketeer

I do kinda wanna see Aquaman as we like Jason Momoa (via Stargate Atlantis).

Pixar and animated movies are also fine. Wife likes them and I do to due to thing like Lion King, Aladdin, and the original Ice Age.

I'll watch action films I like the smart ones (Terminator 2) over stuff like Transformers.

I very rarely watch them at the movies (Star Wars that is about it), and generally watch them on Netflix now. The last few I have seen.

Mad Max (2015)
Pacific Rim
Assassins Creed
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Some religious thing with Nicolas Cage (it involved the end of days).
Gods of Egypt
Animal House
Blues Brothers
Police Academy I,II,III
Guardians of the Galaxy II

I'll almost watch anything though except for romantic comedies.Even then the wife got me to watch Love Actually which I admit I enjoyed.

Remove ads