• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Supplemental books: Why the compulsion to buy and use, but complain about it?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The DM is a person too, so their fun does not trump the fun of the group. If we must submerge the I in the We, then it doesn't matter how much work the DM puts in. They are merely one more part of the Collective.

Agree 100%. But that still doesn't mean that the players make campaign or rules decisions. They make decisions for their own PC. Not someone else's PC, not the NPCs, not how the world is set up.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I advocate leaving if the DM or game is egregious.

Players have a right to leave whenever they believe they have something better to do with their time. That's how personal recreation goes. You can advocate earlier negotiations, but you can't tell anyone that they must suck it up and spend their personal recreation time when they don't think it will be fun.

But that still doesn't mean that the players make campaign or rules decisions.

To the extent that players don't influence campaign or rules decisions, if those choices are unacceptable, their only option is to walk. The art of group playing is making decisions up front such that everyone is willing to stick around for the whole game.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I'm not saying that makes you whiney and entitled, but I am saying that it comes across as an example of you liking your group because you get your own way.

For me it was his next post
To me, THAT'S how a group works. All for one and one for all. This "Tyranny of the Majority" style where it's okay to tell one player, "No, sorry your fun just isn't that important so long as everyone else is having a good time and your good time certainly is never more important than the DM's" needs to die in a fire. It's just such a toxic way of playing.

It is not to say that I have never offered to switch to running another game to accommodate a regular player. I was planning on running Cortex Plus: Firefly as my next game. Before we took a short hiatus from gaming, the group seemed eager. However, one of the players just confided that he is willing to play, but has no enthusiasm as he doesn't like running in games based in media universes (Marvel comics is an exception). I will mention it to the others and offer an asian themed fantasy game. A few months ago, this would not have been the case. Despite having had the campaign planned for a while, I was burned out on fantasy and, having just finished a three year superhero game, I didn't want to run another in that genre eitherl.
If the players insist on Firefly, I will run a short Firefly game for two-three months and he will have to sit through it if he wants to game with us. If they are willing to go with the fantasy game, then we will play that.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Players have a right to leave whenever they believe they have something better to do with their time. That's how personal recreation goes. You can advocate earlier negotiations, but you can't tell anyone that they must suck it up and spend their personal recreation time when they don't think it will be fun.

Yup, totally true.

To the extent that players don't influence campaign or rules decisions, if those choices are unacceptable, their only option is to walk.

Yup, also true.

The art of group playing is making decisions up front such that everyone is willing to stick around for the whole game.

Not necessarily true. Just because you need to be a big part of how the DM sets up his world does not mean that every player has that need.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
prosfilaes said:
The art of group playing is making decisions up front such that everyone is willing to stick around for the whole game.

Not necessarily true. Just because you need to be a big part of how the DM sets up his world does not mean that every player has that need.

No, it is necessarily true. For games that don't have a everchanging cast of players, however you cut it, decisions need to be made up front such that everyone is willing to commit to stick around. In my experience, every player has breaking points; if the DM says this week we're playing Bunnies and Burrows with Marvel Super Heroes rules, many players who "don't need to be a part of how the DM sets up his world", as you put it, will back out.That you can usually get them to buy into whatever random thing your whim suggests doesn't mean that you haven't made decisions to convince people to stick around.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
No, it is necessarily true. For games that don't have a everchanging cast of players, however you cut it, decisions need to be made up front such that everyone is willing to commit to stick around. In my experience, every player has breaking points; if the DM says this week we're playing Bunnies and Burrows with Marvel Super Heroes rules, many players who "don't need to be a part of how the DM sets up his world", as you put it, will back out.That you can usually get them to buy into whatever random thing your whim suggests doesn't mean that you haven't made decisions to convince people to stick around.

I really feel sorry for your game. Sure, the DM says up front what the basic campaign is about and sure, there are some times when that might grind on a given player, but that should be the exception instead of the rule. As a general rule, the players are sitting at the table because they want to play D&D. At least in our games.

Game on.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yet, you are willing to boot a player out of the group for that same minor molehill and consider any player who makes an issue of it to be a bad player. Pot, meet kettle.

I've never booted a player out of a game. Try again. :lol:

As a player, I am not obligated in any way, shape or form to play in your game. If I choose to play in your game, that is 100% my choice and any and all reasons I have for not playing in your game are 100% valid.

Yup, totally true.

Remove ads