D&D General Supposing D&D is gamist, what does that mean?

clearstream

(He, Him)
@Campbell one way I think about it is this. Those predefined pieces don't provide teeth (you are right about that.) What they do is outline the terms of the teeth, should the group consent to them.

According to my - "agreement to a rule is never located in that rule" - mantra, that is the most they can do.

pemerton

Legend
It took me awhile to realize that any player facing mechanic that requires interfacing with GM facing mechanics like defined monsters or NPC stat blocks fundamentally has no real teeth. At the end of the day those GM facing mechanics and assumed prep are a block box to players thus non-binding. This is especially true when the game instructs the GM to essentially ignore these mechanics and their prep when inconvenient.

Not that there is no value to defined GM facing mechanics. Just that they are essentially nonbinding unless the GM takes an inordinate amount of discipline in applying them. Even then a lot of GM fiat is required to make representational mechanics flow into a game state. Even more so when we leave relatively constrained environments like dungeons or try to treat those dungeons as living breathing things.

<snip>

That fiat also does not have to be applied in an indiscriminate way. There are lots of disciplined ways to decide how the underlying setting and characters work.
It basically works off this model (Also from John Harper's blog) :

View attachment 157296

The basic difference is that in exploratory play conflicts are often disconnected from each other as well as from the resolution of the underlying situation. The only way for the situation to fundamentally resolve is because the GM decides it has based on their understanding of the setting and other characters. The GM is basically the glue that holds everything together.
I think these posts are liable to misunderstanding, and so I wanted to say something in response and by way of elaboration.

I feel that the key point that you make is that, in exploratory play, The only way for the situation to fundamentally resolve is because the GM decides it has based on their understanding of the setting and other characters. Your examples in the first quoted post of the GM ignoring their prep, or GM-facing mechanics like a NPC/creature stat block, is essentially a special case - in some contexts, but by no means all, a degenerate case - of the key point.

Your point is the same reason why Vincent Baker said the following:

In task resolution, what's at stake is the task itself. "I crack the safe!" "Why?" "Hopefully to get the dirt on the supervillain!" What's at stake is: do you crack the safe?

In conflict resolution, what's at stake is why you're doing the task. "I crack the safe!" "Why?" "Hopefully to get the dirt on the supervillain!" What's at stake is: do you get the dirt on the supervillain?

Which is important to the resolution rules: opening the safe, or getting the dirt? That's how you tell whether it's task resolution or conflict resolution.

Task resolution is succeed/fail. Conflict resolution is win/lose. You can succeed but lose, fail but win.

In conventional rpgs, success=winning and failure=losing only provided the GM constantly maintains that relationship - by (eg) making the safe contain the relevant piece of information after you've cracked it. It's possible and common for a GM to break the relationship instead, turning a string of successes into a loss, or a failure at a key moment into a win anyway. . . .

That's, if you ask me, the big problem with task resolution: whether you succeed or fail, the GM's the one who actually resolves the conflict. The dice don't, the rules don't; you're depending on the GM's mood and your relationship and all those unreliable social things the rules are supposed to even out.

Task resolution, in short, puts the GM in a position of priviledged authorship. . . .

"I fight him!" "Why?" "To get past him to the ship before it sails!"
Task Resolution: do you win the fight (that is, do you fight him successfully)?
Roll: Success!
"You beat him! You disarm him and kick his butt!"
(Unresolved, left up to the GM: do you get to the ship before it sails?)​

Harper's diagram illustrates the same phenomenon. So does @Manbearcat's discussion, upthread, of the GM having the authority to decide whether, when the "big bad" is killed by the PCs, a lieutenant steps up into the big bad's place.

Particularly in "living, breathing worlds" the difference between changing prep ("I didn't prep a lieutenant") and adding to prep by following the logic of setting and/or genre ("Of course the bad guy would have a number two who fills the power vacuum!") can be a pretty slight one.

Ignoring or adding to a stat block might seem more outrageous, but consider that - in some approaches to D&D, at least - the stat block includes the NPC's equipment. Adding a length of rope, or some small change, or a parachute, or whatever, because "it makes sense that they would have that!" is pretty similar to adding the lieutenant, and I think is not at all unorthodox on mainstream approaches to RPGing.

I think that's only really true if two other things are true:

1. The players don't hold the GM to playing fairly and/or
2. The GM is good at disguising what he's doing.

You're correct that if its accepted that he can just change things on the fly then nothing matters, but even in games that acknowledge that as okay, its far from a given that local game culture will.
See my examples just above. I think you're underestimating the scope and force of @Campbell's point, and confining your attention only to degenerate cases.

That's not a GM thing, that's an RPG thing. The only teeth in any RPG are those the participants by their prior and ongoing consent give teeth.

You think something in AW has teeth? Nope, not unless everyone at the table agrees it has teeth.
I think this misses @Campbell's point. He is not talking about the lumpley principle - ie that system is established by agreement.

He is talking about the nature of the system that is established. And his point is that any system that depends upon the GM deciding when the situation resolves is one in which the player-side mechanics lack real teeth. They might decide things in a moment of play - to use Baker's examples, whether the safe gets opened or whether the duelling PC disarms him and kicks his butt - but they don't decide which way the situation resolves. The GM has to decide that.

clearstream

(He, Him)
A parking rule is binding even on someone who misses, or misreads, the signs. Hence the fine!

And that a rule is not inherently binding doesn't mean that it is not binding.
That's a good example of what I am discussing. A parking rule is not binding in itself, it is binding because it is enforced. It's easy to see that we can park where we like - the rule doesn't make us park in accord with it - rather it is our concern to avoid a fine that secures our consent to the rule. (Or we may feel a sense of civic duty, etc.)

For RPG we often agree to process rules. Like this
  1. We know that sometimes we have different ideas about what should happen next, in circumstances where that will take what follows down different paths (the antecedent behaviour)
  2. We author a rule "In case of 1., you will roll 1d6. On 6, what you say goes. On 3-5, what you say goes and I get to add something. On 1-2, what I say goes."
  3. We come to a case of 1. You pick up 1d6 and roll it - a 6. What makes me go along with that? It's not the roll. It's my consent to the roll, due in very large part to the player-ethos we share that would make my behaviour that of a spoilsport (see Huizinga et al) should I now disregard this rule that we gave our prior consent to.
Of course, I don't normally think about consenting or not to every roll (as John Harper reminds in a recent video). Our shared ethos is normative. Instead I give my consent as we enter the magic circle, thus adopting a lusory attitude that should (but is not guaranteed every time to) meet the lusory expectations of my fellow players.

Again, we are perhaps in the end just agreeing (by disagreeing). I am absolutely talking about whether a rule is inherently binding or not. I gather from your caveat that you perhaps agree that rules aren't inherently binding. Have I got that right?

We're speaking to a conversation about rule zero versus every other rule in 5e, and I am saying that none of those rules are inherently binding. They are binding because of norms and penalties, anticipated benefits, etc, that bring us to accept/enact them for ourselves. This makes @Thomas Shey's argument exactly right: a GM could wield Rule 0 in an unhelpful way - any participant could wield any rule in an unhelpful way - but they do not because they don't follow the rule just because of the existence of that rule. They follow that rule because of (and in the way that satisfies) the shared-ethos and the benefits the group desire that rule to have.

That's a good example of what I am discussing. A parking rule is not binding in itself, it is binding because it is enforced. It's easy to see that we can park where we like - the rule doesn't make us park in accord with it - rather it is our concern to avoid a fine that secures our consent to the rule. (Or we may feel a sense of civic duty, etc.)

For RPG we often agree to process rules. Like this
  1. We know that sometimes we have different ideas about what should happen next, in circumstances where that will take what follows down different paths (the antecedent behaviour)
  2. We author a rule "In case of 1., you will roll 1d6. On 6, what you say goes. On 3-5, what you say goes and I get to add something. On 1-2, what I say goes."
  3. We come to a case of 1. You pick up 1d6 and roll it - a 6. What makes me go along with that? It's not the roll. It's my consent to the roll, due in very large part to the player-ethos we share that would make my behaviour that of a spoilsport (see Huizinga et al) should I now disregard this rule that we gave our prior consent to.
Of course, I don't normally think about consenting or not to every roll (as John Harper reminds in a recent video). Our shared ethos is normative. Instead I give my consent as we enter the magic circle, thus adopting a lusory attitude that should (but is not guaranteed every time to) meet the lusory expectations of my fellow players.

Again, we are perhaps in the end just agreeing (by disagreeing). I am absolutely talking about whether a rule is inherently binding or not. I gather from your caveat that you perhaps agree that rules aren't inherently binding. Have I got that right?

We're speaking to a conversation about rule zero versus every other rule in 5e, and I am saying that none of those rules are inherently binding. They are binding because of norms and penalties, anticipated benefits, etc, that bring us to accept/enact them for ourselves. This makes @Thomas Shey's argument exactly right: a GM could wield Rule 0 in an unhelpful way - any participant could wield any rule in an unhelpful way - but they do not because they don't follow the rule just because of the existence of that rule. They follow that rule because of (and in the way that satisfies) the shared-ethos and the benefits the group desire that rule to have.

Can I just say that this deconstruction you're bent on of "what makes a rule binding" might feel interesting and informative on your end of the conversation, but it feels very much neither of those things to myself.

We all are either formally trained on how complex social systems work or we have sufficient life experience to understand such things.

When we're talking about TTRPG designs, we can assume the designers have a semblance of understanding that some measure of social contract is the foundation for the undertaking of the play. That is pretty much where the interesting and informative aspect of this begins and ends. Any further deconstruction feels (and I'd go further and I'd say "is") regressive. Its like this black hole of "we're never going to get anywhere because we can always deconstruct further."

Personally, I'd infinitely rather focus on Harper's diagram and Baker's statements on task resolution vs conflict resolution. They're concrete things in short, easily digestible form so they should actually move the ball down the field. Can we talk about those things rather than gaze into the abyss of "what is the nature of rules in social systems really and is it adherence to social contract or casual indifference or empirical understanding of the functionality of a ruleset to yield its design goals during play that makes a rule binding?"

So, focusing on those two things, I would hope it would be clear how an intricate and intricately integrated, codified, player-facing conflict resolution system like Torchbearer derives skillfullness of play in a way that a GM-facing, heavily GM mediated (rather than codified), maybe-task-resolution-maybe-conflict-resolution (ask your GM in every moment of play), intricate but mostly modular and not particularly tightly-integrated system, serial exploration without the deft-and-handling-time-friendly-supporting tech just fundamentally cannot do.

In Torchbearer:

* We have an Obstacle as a unit of play. We know how Obstacles integrate with Adventures and how they integrate with the rest of the system.

* We have a Turn. We know how Turns and Obstacles are integrated and how they individually and collectively integrate with the rest of the system.

* We have multiple attrition models (Light, Grind, Conditions, Nature, Disposition and Concession in Conflicts) and we know they all work individually and how they intersect.

* When an Obstacle is before us, we not only have codified Factoring to determine an individual Ob (DC in D&D parlance), but we have Adventure design that tells us what the spread of this (total # and type) should look like. We know the Ob rating, we know how much dice we can muster based on the Help rules (and the exposure assumed by the helpers) and Nature and Traits and Fate/Persona. We have intent-driven tests and conflicts and we have a simple loop for resolving every moment (after players have oriented themselves to an individual situation, poked and prodded at it through meta-conversation or within the imagined space, and declared action and intent).

• Passed test = Success: player achieves their intent
  • Failed test = Game master chooses (a) Twist (a new obstacle but Fun Once - bypassed original obstacle or situation has changed) or (b) condition (but intent achieved)
  • (a) and (b) on failed tests should be near parity
  • If Conflict then resolve intent and consult procedures for intent realization and concessions

Now contrast that with the inverse paradigm:

* We don't have discrete, transparently encoded moments or problem : resolution like Obstacles and we don't know how they integrate with total # of Obstacles on an Adventure.

* We don't have discrete, codified Turns, but we have something very, very vaguely approximating to Turns (a process-sim-ish Travel Pace) to time happening at the table with this kind of "serial exploration" paradigm (rather than scene to scene to scene etc). What if because this is book-keeping-intensive and neither evocative nor well-integrated nor creating a sense of urgency (compared to Turns + The Grind et al), we just handwave this whole Travel Pace thing and don't carefully map progression in the way that is necessary for actual "serial exploration" of a gamespace (Dungeon Crawl or Wilderness Crawl)? Also, we don't have an integrated Turn : Obstacle relationship so we have no objective input to this relationship (because it doesn't exist in the system) in either Adventure Design (for the GM) nor for the players exploring whatever it is they're exploring so they can discern their relative progress (more on this below as its a big deal when loading out). Now that we've sort of handwaved this book-keeping-intensive "not Turn" exploration Travel Pace with no real knowledge about any kind of a Turn : Obstacle relationship, what if we have abilities that work off of time but we don't know how that interacts with individual time spent delving/trekking/exploring nor the potential collective time that we may be looking at taking on when we accept this Adventure...because...well, we don't even have an individual and codified unit like "The Adventure" as a frame of reference! So we don't precisely know how to loadout nor hire cohorts nor whether we should requisition precious assets that may come with taking on significant downstream liability (should things go awry). Now we may do some surveillance beforehand to try to exchange this vacuum of information for a marginally less nebulous decision-space, but (a) its likely never to achieve much more than "nebulous status" and (b) the surveillance procedures are possibly subject to the same task resolution issues cited by Baker and Harper above (unless they are powerful spells that, while still subject to GM block/veto, are the most codified procedures of the game)...and (c) see below for recovery of resources spent in this surveillance (or if we even spent them at all...they may be at-will and therefore pretty much trivial in the navigation of their decision-space...which is harmful to Skilled Play).

* We do have an attrition model but (a) its not as well-integrated with a structured play loop as it is in Torchbearer (because their isn't a structured play loop...its pretty much free form and the purview of the GM) and (b) Recovery is overwhelmingly under the Harper and Baker cited model above; the GM-facing purview of the GM (contrast with Camp phase and Town phase procedures and Instincts in Torchbearer).

* Tests are different in very way than the Torchbearer model. Do we test at all? What is the baseline (an adventurer of x level or level of PCs or etc etc etc) for the DC of the test? Are we using Genre Logic or the Process Sim to determine framing/say yes inputs/DC inputs/consequence inputs? What is the DC of the test? Dis/Adv? What happens on failure? How much is left of the situation after the test resolves and what happens pass/fail? All GM-facing and GM-purview.

Now go back and look at Harper's diagrams, Harpers words on the different loops, and Bakers words on Task vs Conflict resolution. The nexus of all of this should yield the following:

* Torchbearer is System-Player-GM (in that order)-directed engine for Gamist priorities.

* The inverse (some kind of D&D) is a GM-directed engine for High Concept Simulation priorities.

Now let us say that both of these games have the exact same high level "Adventure Aesthetic/Theme" paramaters in common for one instance of play. It may be that these two discrete play-throughs may incidentally produce a similar fiction on a chance. However, that is as far as it goes. The experience of playing them and GMing them and the end product is vastly different. One of these is distills Skilled Play in as objective a way as can be done (to date) in a TTRPG while the imagined experience of "being there" is incidental. The other pushes toward creating an imagined experience of "being there" with heavy emphasis on mood, tone, color, performative theatrics, purple prose flourishes, and genre emulation...meanwhile, the signal of Skilled Play is either deeply muted or outright nullified due to the powerfully-ingrained GM-directed nature.

clearstream

(He, Him)
@clearstream

Replace binding with socially enforceable and all my points stand. For example to do it, do it is socially enforceable because when the rule is not being applied we can all tell it is not being applied.
Beautiful, I like the switch to socially enforceable. I'm saying that the rules of D&D are socially enforceable, and Rule 0 therefore operates within that social contract.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, in some ways it could be a bit like 4e in that you get to define exactly what the 'flavor' is for each of your powers, and thus you can create a very cohesive backstory and overall understanding of the character. It can be a lot like the way keywords work in 4e, though there isn't any real mechanical similarity between the systems beyond "they are both fairly early ability-based RPGs." Obviously more recent versions of Hero System are a bit more sophisticated. It also did have the kind of structure that lent itself easily to a kind of Low Myth play where the player would do things like invent a nemesis and then the GM would have to bring them on stage (because you got extra points for having a nemesis, so basically if the GM didn't do that, they were giving you free build points, lol).

I still remember my characters, Mushroom Man and The Wizard, which were both min/maxed to the hilt, but had interesting backstories (though I couldn't tell you anything about them at this point 41 years later, lol).

Superhero games in general tend to demand a certain degree of engagement with the character on levels few games in other genres generically do (though most games with disadvantage systems of any sort sort of nudge you in that direction).

Thomas Shey

Legend
See my examples just above. I think you're underestimating the scope and force of @Campbell's point, and confining your attention only to degenerate cases.

I think you're either assuming my focus is on infrequent cases or are defining "degenerate cases" too broadly for use of the term. Since I'm thinking in terms of GMs changing established states from a gamist POV, I consider my quotes true in a rather large number of situations. It might be more narrow than Campbell was thinking of, but when it can take up a rather big part of many games' temporal landscape, I don't consider those "degenerate cases".

Beautiful, I like the switch to socially enforceable. I'm saying that the rules of D&D are socially enforceable, and Rule 0 therefore operates within that social contract.

Which is fine, but we need to move beyond this to actual implication on the design of system and experience of play.

Rule 0 was conceived of and implemented (design) to achieve Simulationist Priorities (during play). From White Wolf and Dragonlance onward, this has been overwhelmingly about (a) High Concept Simulationist priorities and (b) at any time (when it happens) is as relevant as change outcomes (what happens and why) in the formulation because of its capacity to wrest the trajectory of play from player to GM. And its not just the implications of that in the moment, its the chilling effect that this paradigm inculcates all subsequent moments of play with (Player: "...in that moment of play, was my input subordinated there or was it honored...I don't know because the process is GM-pacing").

That is the biggest proverbial tool in the toolbox for GM-directed, High Concept Simulationist play. For Gamist or Narrativist play? Its utter kryptonite.

Remove ads