• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Surf's D&D 5e Monster Analysis

surfarcher

First Post
[MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION]

Well all I can share with you right this second is "the plan"...

• The "review & stocktake" post very early next week
  • Traits later in the week
  • Actions very early the following week.
  • Summary late that week (including a link to my spreadsheet)

That help??

the Jester

Legend
[MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION]

Well all I can share with you right this second is "the plan"...

• The "review & stocktake" post very early next week
  • Traits later in the week
  • Actions very early the following week.
  • Summary late that week (including a link to my spreadsheet)

That help??

I'll be honest, what I really want to see is your analysis of damage.

Quickleaf

Legend
I know this is late... my apologies! I spent a couple days extra on HP and then got an awful cold :-( Been pretty crook!

But at least Interlude: A Bunch Of Monsters! is now up.

Great stuff as always! :)

For giggles I compared your Hit Dice chart by CR to a couple monsters and found frequent discrepancies where I didn't expect to see them.

For example, CR 2 large monsters should have 9 HD according to your chart. Ogres, an iconic large creature, get 7. Owlbears, a CR 3 monster likewise get 7. So something isn't lining up quite right...

the Jester

Legend

For giggles I compared your Hit Dice chart by CR to a couple monsters and found frequent discrepancies where I didn't expect to see them.

For example, CR 2 large monsters should have 9 HD according to your chart. Ogres, an iconic large creature, get 7. Owlbears, a CR 3 monster likewise get 7. So something isn't lining up quite right...

I'm pretty sure that HD are only a way of achieving the proper hp range.

surfarcher

First Post

Just like [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] said not about HD, it's about HP. HD and Con bonus are just the way you get there. Or one of the ways. For example the Torll's Regeneration trait seems to factor into their HP count for the purposes of evaluating CR.

Quickleaf

Legend

Just like [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] said not about HD, it's about HP. HD and Con bonus are just the way you get there. Or one of the ways. For example the Torll's Regeneration trait seems to factor into their HP count for the purposes of evaluating CR.

Thanks guys :)

It appears Hit Dice are a vestigial rule with very limited purpose in 5e, namely:
  • Accomodate monster healing during short rests.
  • Interact with yet-to-be released mechanics / open the design space for down the road.

Did I miss anything?

surfarcher

First Post
Sounds right to me [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]

My own theory is that they are there to make players, newer DMs and folks from other edition feel comfortable that monsters have some kind of level mechanic governing their HP. But that doesn't seem to actually be the case. I wonder what the DMG will show in this area??

Remove ads