D&D (2024) Survey is Live for Unearthed Arcana PHB Playtest 8

Done. Received everything satisfied or very satisfied. Added a few comments:

-Deflect attack too good.
-(mass) healing word should only heal for half as much if used on unconscious* targets.

*edit: and dying, not to be confused with deaf (or dead).

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't think Deflect Attack is too good. I think that's exactly what the Monk needed to be able to stay in melee, and the damage they do is in line with other melee fighting PCs.

mass healing word's healing quantity is sort of meaningless most of the time. The difference between healing 1 hit point of damage and 17 hit points of damage at those levels is the same - one hit and you'd go back down anyway.

Stalker0

Legend
My general feedback:

• Barb: I don't think Brutal Strike solves the high level barb problem. its a fun tactical option, but the barb just needs some raw awesome at those higher levels. World Tree is a step forward, but the temp HP for vitality every round is a problem outside of combat (imagine rolling temp hp every round for 5 minutes straight, because that's technically how the ability works), would still like to see a plane shift option maybe 1/week or something.

• Monk: Aces! If deflect attack is "too good" its only at the lowest levels, and likely be solved with martial arts die + monk level + dex to tone it down at low levels just a tad. In fact, I suggested they push in on it more. For superior defense, instead of giving general resistance (which does step on toes of other tanks like the barb) I think the make the ability just auto deflect any one damage (no matter how hard) straight up. It keeps their cool new 1v1 tank nature, but leaves the more general "swarm tanking" to the fighter and barb.

• Spells: I can tolerate some of the new conjure spells, even though they don't fully feel like conjuring something to me, I respect we need to get away from the individual stat blocks and initiatives and the 4-6 other creatures in the combat that just sucks up all the DM time. My limit though is on the spell like conjure minor elementals....that's not a conjure spell its just a personal buff spell. A conjure spell needs to put a new effect on the board away from the caster. If its just impacting where the caster is....that's not a conjure. New cure wounds is awesome, I don't think healing word needs the buff...its fine as is, will still have a solid niche in the new order, no need to buff it and once again muddy the waters between the two main healing spells.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think Deflect Attack is too good. I think that's exactly what the Monk needed to be able to stay in melee, and the damage they do is in line with other melee fighting PCs.
Their extra tricks like that seem meant in this iteration to stand in for Weapon Masteries, balance wise.

Why? A deaf person heals the same as a hearing person. The target is someone you can see, not someone who can hear you.
That is not the point. People below 0 hp already start from 0, not from the damage number they would have been.
Giving incentive to heal before people are down is good in my book. And healing word is not a very powerful healing spell. So having reduced effects on dying people seems in line.

Reduces ping pong healing for which 5e is often criticized.

*probably you think, unconscious = deaf. Maybe you should look that up.

That is not the point. People below 0 hp already start from 0, not from the damage number they would have been.
Giving incentive to heal before people are down is good in my book. And healing word is not a very powerful healing spell. So having reduced effects on dying people seems in line.

Reduces ping pong healing for which 5e is often criticized.

*probably you think, unconscious = deaf. Maybe you should look that up.
I was under the impression you were saying they couldnt hear it well to benefit. Otherwise there's no point to nerfing it.

Halving the healing just further exacerbates the ping ponging you wish to avoid.

Remove ads