D&D (2024) Survey Launch | Player's Handbook Playtest 5 | Unearthed Arcana | D&D

Chaosmancer

Legend
I must have missed the part of the video where Crawford discusses the pros and cons of unfettered PC flight in excruciating detail. Can anyone give me a timestamp? Or is it covered in the survey?

Excruciating detail? He didn't do that.

But he did indicate that even at 14th level, the Dragon Wings might be too powerful as concentration using flight... which is the origin of this discussion. And if flight is too powerful at 14th level... man, I don't even know what to do with that information.

Stalker0

Legend
Heck, carts can't "turn on a dime" in the real world, but they can absolutely make a 90 degree turn on a 5e battlemap with no issues at all. It is completely unrealistic... but it is the rules.

Not liking the rules =/= the rules being incomplete. The rules on flight are very clear, and follow the same rules for all other types of movement. That is a good thing in my book, because it means I don't need to memorize some subsystem just because someone drank a potion of flying.

None of your issues are that the rules are unclear. Your issue is you don't like the rules. Which is fine. But you can't complain that the book wasn't written with your hoserules, and somehow claim the book is incomplete for lacking your houserules.
100% agree here. Its true that the rules of flying in 5e don't work to the actual physics of flying, but frankly a lot of movement doesn't. Its all done for streamlining and simplicity, and thank god for it. The flying rules of older editions are nightmares to use, absolutely disgusting wastes of time.

100% agree here. Its true that the rules of flying in 5e don't work to the actual physics of flying, but frankly a lot of movement doesn't. Its all done for streamlining and simplicity, and thank god for it. The flying rules of older editions are nightmares to use, absolutely disgusting wastes of time.
if the rules of the game in anyway had physics in mind, the designers live in a VERY different world then I do.

Vaalingrade

Legend
'You must move X per turn or fall'

'You must move Y squares before changing direction.'

There, I designed better fly rules. It took a-like seven seconds.

'You must move X per turn or fall'

'You must move Y squares before changing direction.'

There, I designed better fly rules. It took a-like seven seconds.
So in these rules of yours, does all flying have to follow that exact rule where "X feet" is the same for every type of flyer? If so, Beholders, hummingbirds, giant eagles, giant bees, the Fly spell, all of them need to move 20 or 30 feet on their turn or they fall? Or do those values change based on every different stat block or effect? Does an Ancient Dragon, or an Aarakocra, or a stirge, with different fly speeds and sizes have different requirements? That sounds like a lot of work to make the right choices for each creature/source of flying. At the very least, I'll assume you'll add "Hover" rules in there to try and simplify things for some flyers like Beholders and the Fly spell.

Would most Flying abilities granted by spells, species and class features tend to also provide the Hover ability to make it less of a pain for players?

I don't think it is as clean and simple, whether mechanically or narratively, as you suggest.

Remove ads