D&D 5E Survivalist Fighter, what next?

kyonu

First Post
Here's the dealio:

I have a level 3 (currently) fighter, who is specialized in Disarming his opponents, throwing custom-made Molotov's at his opponent (Oil-flask with flint top + fuse) with a Quick Draw feat to draw the weapon, lighting it on a flint patch of armor, then throwing. He goes unarmed into combat, with the Improved Unarmed feat, allowing him to not get AoO on him for attacking. The idea is to (if possible) catch them on fire with the cocktail, then run (or move) up to them and disarm them, effectively taking their weapon into hand (since I'm unarmed, I get to pick it up instead of have it drop.)

Now, with that aside, the feats I have currently are:

Quick Draw
Dodge
Combat Expertise
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Disarm

Did a session tonight, and he worked magnificantly. He wears masterworked Chain Shirt with a large cloak which houses his "grenades", and the rest is just clothing. He has a rapier to his side which he never uses, and carries on average around 30 "grenades".

Stats are as follows:
STR: 17
DEX: 18
CON: 13
INT: 13
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

The problem with this is, though he did very well and did more damage than our Wizard, as he progresses, his Grenade tactics get very weak against the enemies (but still have cumulative benefits.) So what I planned was, having my next two feats be Mobility and Weapon Finesse, then go into the Duelist class for improved in-combat strenghts, such as extra Initiative, AC, Attack damage with a Rapier, and the extra cool-beans "Parry + Riposte".

My question is, is this a good idea? Will this be effective, or should I have more INT for better AC? I chose Strength over Int initially because of RP purposes--his town was destroyed and he's been living on his own for a while, thus becoming a Survivalist, which makes him pretty anti-social, yet pretty flexible and strong, yet smart enough to survive.

Any ideas on this would be nice... He forbids using magic, since that's what destroyed his town, and will not touch it, and I want to keep the Survivalist theme going. Is there anything that would be cool with this theme? (I was thinking the Imrpovised weapon feat, but figured Disarm was a bit better.)

Thanks!

Kaiyanwang

First Post
Since you are level 3, you can easily switch to two-handed fighting to increase your damage. Just take Power attack and use your good Strenght score.

Even better, you can later go in the route of improved trip, greater trip to increase control.

Then, mobility, spring attack, and whirlwind attack, maybe lunge.

If needed, retrain old feats if you no longer use them. In this way you can quickly build (or re-build) a fighter that is able to run through the battlefield and menace all around a "trip and beat up" 15 feet zone.

Keep quickdraw anyway because is awesome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW: you can keep your character concept: magic item. Take the feat Master Craftsman, and work with your DM to build proper magic item "bombs" (on the line of the Necklace of Fireballs, maybe less expensive but with lesser area).

Azmyth

First Post
...throwing custom-made Molotov's at his opponent (Oil-flask with flint top + fuse) with a Quick Draw feat to draw the weapon...

Quick Draw does not work that way.
Core pg 132. "Alchemical items, potions, scrolls, and wands cannot be
drawn quickly using this feat."

kyonu

First Post
...throwing custom-made Molotov's at his opponent (Oil-flask with flint top + fuse) with a Quick Draw feat to draw the weapon...

Quick Draw does not work that way.

This was also house-ruled, as I have devised a good way to explain the situation on how it becomes lit while drawing. He said it was okay, since it was a "weak" type of attack... Sure showed him when I took down the town "boss" by catching him on fire, and he kept failing his rolls.

Anyways, some good ideas Kaiyanwang, but tripping is kinda out of it, because it would be copying another person in the party... He's based on defensive fighting, including trips. Mine's more offensive...

I was also thinking about using the re-train abilities to further increase my Duelist abilities later... They just look so cool--always going first, can't be hit (theoretically), etc. I might do a flavor build and have him disarm, quick draw a Rapier, then next round start making confettit out of his chest. (Greater Quick Draw feat to knock the weapon 15 feet away when disarmed)

Nice suggestions though, gives me some more ideas!

Remove ads