• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor Campaign Settings- Birthright Wins?

Zardnaar

Legend
Birthright 13
Blackmoor 5
Dragon Fist 10
Jakandor 11
Lankhmar 16
Mystara 12
Pelinore 13
Thunder Rift 12
Wilderlands of High Fantasy 5

There can be only 1.

Geistrin

First Post
Looks like this degenerated into hardcores defending/attacking their pets and pet hates, much like discussions on taste in music that includes niche bands along side classics. Those who care enough to show up will turn the tide while most simply shrug and walk away with their opinions unchanged while the fanatics duke it out.

Geistrin

First Post
Those who really care aren't playing survivor, and are off venting about their favorite things.

The entire point is to have fun. If you're looking for deep meaning, you're doing it wrong. :)

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind seeing a survivor of the flagship campaigns that doesn't include the niche stuff almost nobody played. I suppose that could lead to arguments about who qualifies though.

zaratan

First Post
Birthright 13
Blackmoor 5
Dragon Fist 10
Jakandor 11
Lankhmar 16
Mystara 13
Pelinore 13
Thunder Rift 9
Wilderlands of High Fantasy 5

searching for half of those, the only thing I can think is:

-Damn, how many "meh" campaings D&D have?

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
Dragon Fist and Mahasarpa are basically setting sketches released as add-on content. Dragon Fist has some interesting PC mechanics, IIRC, but I don't remember anything about the setting. I don't know why they just didn't use Kara-Tur, which was D&D's OA setting at the time.

Thunder Rift can be considered a subset of Mystara, though it can be placed in any world. It's a 30 page book intended as a starting point only (not a full world) along with some additional adventures. Think of it as the Borderlands or Hommlett writ large.

Lankhmar, Wilderlands, Kalamar and Pelinore are more or less 3rd party content or obtained IP (such as with Lankhmar). I wouldn't really consider any of these "D&D" settings. Likewise, You could convert Harn or that GURPs Fantasy World to D&D but it still wouldn't be "D&D". [Note: I lump Pelinore in here, but it's the one setting I am completely unfamiliar with, so I'm guessing].

Obviously the actual, viable D&D settings would be: Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Mystara, FR, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron and Nentir Vale. And Nentir Vale is questionable since its more of a localized setting without a comprehensive world book and minimal details cribbed from other settings (or boardgames).

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Obviously the actual, viable D&D settings would be: Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Mystara, FR, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Planescape, Eberron and Nentir Vale. And Nentir Vale is questionable since its more of a localized setting without a comprehensive world book and minimal details cribbed from other settings (or boardgames).
I'd throw Birthright and Al-Qadim in there as well, as they both had numerous adventures and other books released in their product lines. Al-Qadim is only haphazardly a part of Faerun/Forgotten Realms, really.

The other day I was wondering whether Rokugan ought to have been included. It's on the Wikipedia list. Perhaps it's not on our list because it's a "sample setting." I didn't worry overmuch; mostly I just like popping in in the small hours of the night to vote when I can't sleep.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads