D&D 5E Survivor Classic Modules: THE SINISTER SECRET OF SALTMARSH WINS!

Volund

Explorer
The U modules came out after the AD&D group I ran had passed 3rd level so I had never given much thought to U1-3. I just finished skimming U1 and I have no issues with it surviving to the end. If I had to pick a tier 1 AD&D mod to run in 5e I could probably run this with a lot less re-tooling or prep compared to other modules of the era (here's looking at you N1). Still I was hoping a Gygax mod would win.

JonnyP71

Explorer
U1 is the best of the 3 in my opinion, and probably the best low level AD&D module - it has never failed to entertain. U2 is very nicely written, but could be over far too quickly, and U3 is very ambitious and incredibly difficult if the party are not careful.

I like N1 a lot too.

Over the last year I've run several parties though a variety of classic modules, with mixed success. I've used U1 twice, both times were a blast. T1 has had a lot of staying power as one party chose to rebuild the Moathouse and use it as a base. I tried B2 with the same group, and found out they aren't really that enthused by humanoid-filled sandboxes! We've had fun with it, but despite my best efforts to get them interacting with the factions, they don't seem to care all that much. N1 started very brightly with another group, but sadly I'm only the backup DM for that group and only run sessions about once every couple of months, so they lost the thread of the plot a little. We also ran UK5, and though the players had fun, I found it a bit bland.

Based on my own enjoyment, practical use, and player feedback, U1 wins the battle of the low level modules hands down!

Raith5

Adventurer
The U series is a worthy winner. I played U1 a couple of times and it was always good. U3 is one the toughest adventures I have seen in play.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Of the final three, the one I least wanted to win ended up on top. My favorite there was The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Awesome module. The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan was okay, but I love the name. Tamoachan sounds like a brand of coffee, and who can't love a shrine to coffee? I never liked Saltmarsh.

Luz

Explorer
U1 is the best of the 3 in my opinion, and probably the best low level AD&D module - it has never failed to entertain. U2 is very nicely written, but could be over far too quickly, and U3 is very ambitious and incredibly difficult if the party are not careful.

Yeah its an excellent series. U3 is probably my favourite by a very narrow margin, even tho its extremely difficult its a great finale. I love how the PCs are (hopefully) instrumental in allying all the various races to stand against the common foe and the aquatic environment is outstanding. U1 is terrific as well, it was the first module I read that really emphasized the plot arc between the three modules, long before Hickman's Desert of Desolation came along and better presented than the threadbare plot of G1-2-3/D1-2-3. Its a worthy winner for sure.

Glad to see Tsojcanth came a close second. I'm pretty sure it won this Survivor round last year, before the great EN purge.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
One of the best classic low-level modules wasn't even on the starting list, as it came out maybe half a year too late: Hickman's B7 Rahasia.

I was disappointed to see Tomb of the Lizard King fall out so early; having both played it and run it I've found it to be grand fun each time.

Luz

Explorer
One of the best classic low-level modules wasn't even on the starting list, as it came out maybe half a year too late: Hickman's B7 Rahasia..
That's a good contender for another round of Survivor modules: second generation 1e AD&D modules covering a selection from '83 - '88 (before 2nd edition). There were some excellent modules in that period that don't attract as much love/hate attention that many of the classics get that Lowkey alluded to, it would be an interesting outcome.

Remove ads