Survivor D&D Computer Games- Baldur's Gate WINS!

Ristamar

Adventurer
Baldur's Gate 20
Baldur's Gate II 14

To echo a sentiment expressed earlier this thread, I think people need to replay the original instead of relying on fuzzy, warm memories. It's a decent game, but BG II was notably superior despite the boring intro dungeon and lack of "open world" travel.

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
To echo a sentiment expressed earlier this thread, I think people need to replay the original instead of relying on fuzzy, warm memories. It's a decent game, but BG II was notably superior despite the boring intro dungeon and lack of "open world" travel.

I played the whole lot through a few months ago, and it only cemented my opinion - the original is far superior, much more open, and based at the more interesting game levels - most of the time is spent at levels 4-8 - the AD&D sweet spot.

Lv. 4-8 may be the AD&D "sweet spot" in a table-top game, but it doesn't translate well to a computer game.

I also thought Baldur's Gate II's maps struck the perfect balance between exploration and pacing, whereas the original BG leaned way too far into the aimless exploration territory, with all those nameless filler maps in between destinations.

JonnyP71

Explorer
The sweet spot levels translate perfectly well, it's much more fun taking on more 'grounded' enemies than crazy combos of high level Golems, Rakshasa, etc. I thoroughly enjoy the 'aimless filler', and prefer it to being shepherded to specific locations. D&D is not always about sticking to a story, sometimes it's great to just explore....

In my opinion, the original BG is the best Computer RPG that has ever been produced, and is as enjoyable now as it always was.

tglassy

Adventurer
I never understood why people seemed to like the “grounded” enemies. I’ve never even fought a Mind Flayer! There are some awesome creatures and magic items that never get used because games never go that high. I’ve started giving them out or throwing higher level creatures at the parties because they never see play, and it feels epic for my player to cut off a Dracolich’s Head with one hit with a Vorpal Sword, even if it does make the fight a bit anticlimactic. Nobody was upset. They were all relieved!

I think what annoys me about BG1 is that it *forced* you to go through all those filler maps on the way to your destination, even when you really didn't want to. In many of my favorite open-world RPGs (Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, Ultima VII, Witcher 3 for starters), you have the choice of going straight where you need to go with a minimum of fuss. Or, yes, you can just choose to explore random stuff ... and those games I mentioned actually reward you for that a lot more than BG1 does.

I have also played both Baldur's Gates recently, and I have to say that, just as in PnP, the D&D rules start to fall apart after level 9 - armour class becomes meaningless for a start.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I still think BG is a good game. But if someone asked me "what's the quintessential CRPG representation of a classic, epic AD&D campaign?" and I had to choose between the original and the sequel, I'd always point to the sequel. Even ignoring the UI improvements and class options, the roster of foes was incredible. Drow, mind flayers, beholders, dragons, githyanki, liches, demons, genies, elementals, kuo-toa, yuan-ti, ...

And Irenicus (with the added bonus of being voiced by David Warner) was a much more interesting villain compared to Sarevok.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I think what annoys me about BG1 is that it *forced* you to go through all those filler maps on the way to your destination, even when you really didn't want to. In many of my favorite open-world RPGs (Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, Ultima VII, Witcher 3 for starters), you have the choice of going straight where you need to go with a minimum of fuss. Or, yes, you can just choose to explore random stuff ... and those games I mentioned actually reward you for that a lot more than BG1 does.

If I'm looking to scratch a vast open exploration itch, I'll play Breath of the Wild. Or jump back into Skyrim for a few hours.

I really need to get around to playing the Witcher series. So little time...

Remove ads