• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor Iconic D&D Monster- BEHOLDER WINS!

dave2008

Legend
Beholder 32
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 25+1 = 26
Lich 26
Mimic 24
Mind Flayer/Illithid 26
Owlbear 19
Purple Worm 26
Rust Monster 20 Feast my pretties
Umber Hulk 2-2=0

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Beholder 32
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 26
Mimic 25
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 19
Purple Worm 26
Rust Monster 16

Never dug rust monsters, but if mimics are cool enough to show in the My Little Pony game, they're cool enough to get my vote.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Beholder 32
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 26
Mimic 23
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 20
Purple Worm 26
Rust Monster 16

The owlbear has been striking fear into the hearts of neophyte players for 40 years.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Beholder 32
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 26
Mimic 23
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 18
Purple Worm 26
Rust Monster 16

Rust Monster & Owlbear came from a set of cheap chinese plastic toys. Displaver Beast [coeul or whatever it was] stolen from a book. Purple Worm, I believe, stolen from Dune. Lich is just from RW folklore/legend.

Leaving mimic, mindflayer (though arguably stolen from Cthulu/Moorcock), gelatinous cube, and Beholder as those not stolen from anywhere, to my knowledge.

What is the most Iconic D&D creature from among those 4?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Beholder 31 - Oooogly as sin!
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 27
Mimic 23
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 18
Purple Worm 24
Rust Monster 16

Rust Monster & Owlbear came from a set of cheap chinese plastic toys. Displaver Beast [coeul or whatever it was] stolen from a book. Purple Worm, I believe, stolen from Dune. Lich is just from RW folklore/legend.

Leaving mimic, mindflayer (though arguably stolen from Cthulu/Moorcock), gelatinous cube, and Beholder as those not stolen from anywhere, to my knowledge.

What is the most Iconic D&D creature from among those 4?

Beholder was stolen from the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.". Beholders are ugly as sin, so he didn't even get the theft right.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Beholder 31 - Oooogly as sin!
Displacer Beast 18
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 27
Mimic 23
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 18
Purple Worm 24
Rust Monster 16

Beholder was stolen from the saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.". Beholders are ugly as sin, so he didn't even get the theft right.

I am aware that's the inspiration. I don't really consider taking a word out of a phrase and making something new whole cloth out of it as the same as taking nearly a direct copy of someone else's work and claiming it as something "new/yours" to be the same thing. So, no, not really a "theft" at all. As far as the ugliness of the beholder in light of the spawning phrase, that's what's called "irony." Again, not the same thing as filing off the serial number of something someone else came up with.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I am aware that's the inspiration. I don't really consider taking a word out of a phrase and making something new whole cloth out of it as the same as taking nearly a direct copy of someone else's work and claiming it as something "new/yours" to be the same thing. So, no, not really a "theft" at all. As far as the ugliness of the beholder in light of the spawning phrase, that's what's called "irony." Again, not the same thing as filing off the serial number of something someone else came up with.

It was a joke. Humor! Ar! Ar! Ar! (in Mork voice).

3y3g00

First Post
Beholder 31
Displacer Beast 19
Gelatinous Cube 26
Lich 25
Mimic 23
Mind Flayer/Illithid 27
Owlbear 18
Purple Worm 24
Rust Monster 16

Remove ads