• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor Worst Spells: FIND TRAPS IS THE WORST!

Tony Vargas

Legend
Drawmij's Instant Summons 4
Feign Death 9
Find Traps 33
Mordenkainen's Sword 8
True Strike 43
Weird 10

I'm still mildly appalled that the lamest spell-name ever is off the list before those bearing the hallowed monikers of Drawmij and Mordenkainen.
Clearly, 'worst' is being taken only in the sense of effectiveness.

Gadget

Adventurer
Bard firing an arrow and hitting Smaug is the easiest example I can think of to illustrate how True Strike could be used.

But the target has to be within 30 feet. If you are within 30' of Smaug making a strafing run, you either need to hit right now (not next round) or you are hidden and have advantage anyway. I kind of like the fiction of the spell, but the mechanical implementation is such that it is almost impossible to use effectively except in very contrived and/or niche situations. I agree with you in that higher level spells that are complete duds seem more egregious to me, but at least one can leave them in your spell book and never prepare them, you're kind of stuck with cantrips.

The only real consistent use I've found for True Strike is casting it repeatedly during social scenes when you think a fight might start. Like running into a group of bad guys and casting True Strike while your party face intimidates them. I've even given advantage to the intimidation check because the party had three people ominously pointing their fingers at the bad guys. But I've also given disadvantage when they tried to use persuasion on the bad guys and were ominously pointing, which lead to people rolling deception to try and hide their ominous pointing. :p

Feign Death 7
Find Traps 33+1=34
Mordenkainen's Sword 9
True Strike 43
Weird 10-2=8

bid

First Post
Feign Death 1 and stay dead!
Find Traps 37
Mordenkainen's Sword 9
True Strike 43
Weird 8

Feign Death 1
Find Traps 38
Mordenkainen's Sword 9
True Strike 41
Weird 8

True strike at least makes sense. Find traps is incredibly confusing.

Remove ads