Swarm of Death Scarabs

Hey Guys--looking for feedback on this first draft of a conversion of this swarm, originally found in the 3.5 splatbook Sandstorm

Pardon the partially-removed XML, I had worked up the conversion while on the go in the excellent GameMaster 5 app on my iPad, then exported the data to my computer to play with it.

Big questions I'm looking for feedback on:

• Is damage potential in line with a CR 5 creature?
  • Should there be another way to remove scarabs from an infested creature? Only heal and remove disease seems maybe a bit harsh.
  • Should the consumption take more time after killing a host (making the casting of revivify or something similar a way to recover from a permanent death

Code:
Swarm of Death Scarabs
<hp>46
<type>swarm of Tiny beasts
<alignment>unaligned
<ac>16
<armor>natural armor, dex
<hd>8d8
<speed>20 ft., burrow 5 ft., climb 20 ft
STR 3
DEX 13
CON 10
INT 1
WIS 7
CHA 1
<resist>non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, slashing
<conditionImmune>
charmed, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned

<senses>blindsight 10 ft.
<cr>5

<traits>
Swarm
The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny insect. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.
Distraction
"Holy ****, get these things off me!" Any living creature starting turn in space swarm occupies must make DC 14 Con save or be nauseated (as per poisoned condition).
<actions>
Bites
Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 0 ft., one target in the swarm's space. Hit: 10 (4d4) piercing damage, or 5 (2d4) piercing damage if the swarm has half of its hit points or fewer.
Consume
If swarm successfully distracts a foe it surrounds, it can make an attack roll to infest. A death scarab swarm can then attempt to fully consume prey by entering a creature directly through skin or crawling into its mouth and other orifices to eat target both inside and out. Once inside host, deals 4d6 damage automatically per round. Remove disease, heal spells will instantly force scarabs out. A host killed by this damage (follow RAW for damage dealt below 0 hp) is considered completely consumed except for equipment.

Remove ads