• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swit Charge Question

darkranger65

First Post
Hi, please excuse my noobness......

When a barbarian uses Swift Charge does he/she also get an extra attack at the end of the charge even though he used an attack to fell an enemy to activate the Encounter Power?

Thanks!

Falstyr

First Post
A Swift Charge will allow 1 standard melee attack at the end of it. So when the barbarian kills he can swift charge over to the next opponent. Then he attacks with a melee basic. This Swift Charge+Basic Melee Attack can be used only once per encounter and when the barbarian actually killed the first target.

My half-orc barbarian is a killing machine. First he uses Battle Charge to get +4 to his defenses to defend against AO. Then he does a nice 3d12+5 and a 1d6 followed by a Furious Assault racial 1d12+5. This usually kills the opponent. Swift charge and another 1d12+5 roll. Nice damage for a lvl2-3 barb :)

If the barbarian also crits he'll get another additional attack. So he kills fast. Even boss fights are too easy because of that. The barbarian either kills or nearly kills the boss in the first round. They are way powerfull :)

Last edited:

abyssaldeath

First Post
Hi, please excuse my noobness......

When a barbarian uses Swift Charge does he/she also get an extra attack at the end of the charge even though he used an attack to fell an enemy to activate the Encounter Power?

Thanks!

Huh? Are you asking if the Barbarian can make the attack that is provided by the charge action when he uses Swift Charge? If that the question then the answer is yes. Otherwise, what is the point of Swift Charge? The Barbarian could even use swift charge if he dropped an enemy to 0 from an Opportunity Attack.

DracoSuave

First Post
A Swift Charge will allow 1 standard melee attack at the end of it. So when the barbarian kills he can swift charge over to the next opponent. Then he attacks with a melee basic. This Swift Charge+Basic Melee Attack can be used only once per encounter and when the barbarian actually killed the first target.

My half-orc barbarian is a killing machine. First he uses Battle Charge to get +4 to his defenses to defend against AO. Then he does a nice 3d12+5 and a 1d6 followed by a Furious Assault racial 1d12+5. This usually kills the opponent. Swift charge and another 1d12+5 roll. Nice damage for a lvl2-3 barb :)

Not bad. Altho, if you've already charged that turn, even tho you trigger Swift Charge, you cannot take any more actions without spending an action point. Swift Charge is a free action, and therefore inelegible.

If the barbarian also crits he'll get another additional attack. So he kills fast. Even boss fights are too easy because of that. The barbarian either kills or nearly kills the boss in the first round. They are way powerfull :)

And if you Swift Charge, even if it crits, you do not get to then Rampage, because Melee Basic Attack is used as a free action.

Free actions are actions and therefore cannot be taken after a charge on your own turn.

If they were 'No Actions' this would be legal.

Falstyr

First Post
Half orc Racial powers
Swift Charge: You gain a +2 bonus to speed when
charging
Furious Assault: You have the furious assault power.

Furious Assault
Your monstrous wrath burns inside you, giving strength to your
attack.
Encounter
Free Action Personal
Trigger: You hit an enemy
Effect: The attack deals 1[W] extra damage if it’s a weapon
attack or 1d8 extra damage if it isn’t.

Barbarian Features
Barbarian Agility, Feral Might, rage
strike, Rampage

Rageblood Vigor: You gain the swift charge power.
In addition, whenever your attack reduces an enemy
to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal
to your Constitution modifier. The number of temporary
hit points equals 5 + your Constitution modifier
at 11th level and 10 + your Constitution modifier at
21st level.

Rampage
Once per round, when you score a critical hit with a
barbarian attack power, you can immediately make
a melee basic attack as a free action. You do not have
to attack the same target that you scored a critical
hit against.

Swift Charge
As your foe falls, you rush toward your next victim.
Encounter ✦ Primal
Free Action Personal
Trigger: Your attack reduces an enemy to 0 hit points
Effect: You charge an enemy.

-------
And now the problem becomes clear. With a half orc barbarian there is a mention of two Swift Charges.

1. Lvl2 Utility Combat Sprint, Move action +4 speed and defenses against provoked OA's
2. Enemy rolls for OA's and most likely misses
3. Standard Avalanche Strike Hit: 3d12 + 5 if crit you get an extra immediate 1d12+5
4. Free action Furious Assault 1d12
5. Opponent dies

If the opponent already died after 3 then you get....
1. Lvl2 Utility Combat Sprint, Move action +4 speed and defenses against provoked OA's
2. Enemy rolls for OA's and most likely misses
3. Standard Avalanche Strike Hit: 3d12 + 5 if crit you get an extra immediate 1d12+5
4. Opponent dies
5. Free action Swift Charge
6. Enemy rolls for OA's and most likely hits
6. Free action Furious Assault 1d12

Or am I overlooking something?

Tai

First Post

I'm a little confused about a couple of things. For starters, where does the 1d6 damage come from? Originally I'd assumed it was a horned helmet, but you can't use avalanche strike on a charge. Secondly, why does your furious assault deal an extra +5 damage?

Falstyr

First Post
Howling Strike
Hit: 1[W] + 1d6 + Strength modifier damage.

Avalanche Strike
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage

Furious Assault
Effect: The attack deals 1[W] extra damage

Still don't see anything wrong with my list of actions.

Tai

First Post
Ahh, okay. Sorry, your description was a little unclear, and you didn't mention that you spent an action point.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads