• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SWORD COAST LEGENDS Impressions from E3

Sword Coast Legends was one of the many games on display at E3 this week. MMORPG.com was able to try it out. "TheHiveLeader got some hands-on time with the upcoming RPG, Sword Coast Legends. Also, Bill Murphy is a jerk of a DM. Also, we sadly were not able to get gameplay footage from the game, so the video is from the trailer for the game." This short (2 minute) video provides a quick overview. "Holy crap! Sword Coast Legends is good!" They briefly touch on the DM tools, too, which I know a lot of people are very eager to hear more about.

Sword Coast Legends was one of the many games on display at E3 this week. MMORPG.com was able to try it out. "TheHiveLeader got some hands-on time with the upcoming RPG, Sword Coast Legends. Also, Bill Murphy is a jerk of a DM. Also, we sadly were not able to get gameplay footage from the game, so the video is from the trailer for the game." This short (2 minute) video provides a quick overview. "Holy crap! Sword Coast Legends is good!" They briefly touch on the DM tools, too, which I know a lot of people are very eager to hear more about.

[video=youtube;lGfAajHj0OM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfAajHj0OM[/video]

Dang, I was kinda hoping we'd see the game in action. WotC has been pushing this thing pretty hard, and since there ain't much for books coming out right now, I'm finding myself looking at the fancy electronic alternatives they're starting to push. I'm not much of videogamer, but I'm hoping this game rocks my socks like Baldur's Gate did 17 years ago.

"but I'm hoping this game rocks my socks like Baldur's Gate did 17 years ago."

If you haven't already, check out Pillars of Eternity. Its the spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate, made by largely the same team. Its a return to the party based RPG's of old, with a good story and interesting NPC companions (with the option to make your entire party if you dont want to use any of the pre-gens). The world fluff is also really well developed IMO.

Sorry for the potential derail, but it seemed pertinent to mention a similar game currently out.

Interesting to note that Sword Coast Legends is also going to show up on PS4. Not sure how that will work on console with regard to the DM role and such, though.

DMCF

First Post
Is this just a combat game? I'm excited for this but the people I DM for love the RP element of the game as much as the combat. That means playing the shop keepers instead of having pre-recorded one liners. I might play it but I might just stick with roll20 and live action and keep playing isometrics and other games.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I hope it is not like D&D Daggerdale ( that I played on Xbox 360). One thing I didnt like about that game was that the characters were pre-set...want to play a Wizard, you're the halfling, want to be a Cleric, you're the Dwarf (I hope you can actually create rather than in Daggerdale, you just chose one).

`From looking at the character page at Swordcoast.com
Sword Coast Characters:
Fighter: Halfling Male or Shield Dwarf Female
Ranger: Halfling Female
Rogue: Derro Male or Gold Dwarf Male
Wizard: Human Male or Moon Elf Male
Cleric: Moon Elf Female

I'm not hurt that there isnt a bard, but where is my Sorcerer, Druid or Paladin? Hopefully if they are saying 6 classes, 2 of the three will be in there.

I'm curious if the DM tools for PS4 will let you create NPCs and their text? Now THAT would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads