Sword Coast Legends

Dargrimm

First Post
2 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

Under average graphics. Poor performance. Limited DM. Clunky UI. Not D&D *at all*. But the worst of all is that it is being advertised as the best D&D experience ever and that is just false. I'm sorry to say so, but this game has little to like about. It was a waste of money but fortunately I could get a refund, so no hard feelings on that regard.

pukunui

Legend

I wasn't expecting as much from this game as some people were, but I still found it virtually unplayable. Even though my system meets the minimum requirements, I can't get it to run smoothly. It's slow and choppy, even with the graphics turned all the way down. It takes forever to load. Mouse clicks don't always register. In fact, the mouse pointer moves rather sluggishly, even in the menus. And don't get me started on the horrible UI.On top of that - the story is entirely uninspiring. The tutorial is this random, fairly empty dream sequence with little indication of what is going on. I wouldn't even call it a proper tutorial. Just something thrown together so that some random tooltips could be shown at the top of the screen the first time you go to click on something. It did not make me want to keep playing once the dream sequence was over.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Unfortunately that's not hyperbole. After spending the better part of an hour just getting it to run with STEAM, I encountered a 100% Runtime error failure rate, all at the same point in the story line game (right after the intro quest, on the loading screen to the High Road) Even outside of that, issues I had: *graphics worse than Neverwinter Nights II, but exponentially more of a graphics hog (according to my frame rates). Very choppy * loading screens that took forever * very limited in options for character creation (both in custom body appearance, and in class options). No druids? Sorcerers? Warlocks? Half Orcs? Tieflings? Dragonborn? Drow? Barbarians? Bards? Monks? I thought this was supposed to be based off of 5e? * you have to cycle an arrow button through all menu options, rather than have a drop down selectable menu like a common sense person would do. * random crashes outside of the guaranteed one above * save option disabled in story mode (at least as far as I could get, as noted above, which sucked because I'd have to play the whole intro quest again each time, just to have it crash). And then there are the mouse clicks that don't always register, or clicking the exit button from the main menu also sends your PC to the same point on the map where you just clicked on the menu. Overall very disappointed. I cannot believe they released this game in this state. And I was looking forward to this game a lot.

Last edited:

Chimpy

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

I've quite enjoyed playing the game, but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It's not a D&D emulator, and it's not a combat action RPG, and it's not an open world sandbox... there are better games that do all of those things.It's got quite an entertaining story and I think it appeals to people interested in Forgotten Realms and Neverwinter.

Corpsetaker

First Post
1 out of 5 rating for Sword Coast Legends

All you have to do is go and read my thread. I have listed all of my opinions on this game. The bad reviews are pouring in and it looks like SCL could be doomed. Don't waste your money.

I cannot recommend this game. Maybe on a 75% off Steam sale. After some serious patching. And expansion of the DM Tools. Maybe.

Instead, go check out some of the older D&D games on Good Old Games (which *just* released a bunch of “new” ones) or the remastered version of Baldur’s Gate. Maybe check out Planescape: Torment or the Eye of the Beholder series. Or try Neverwinter. It’s free. Or check out the newly released Enhanced Edition of Divinity: Original Sin, which is reportedly free to anyone who already bought the PC version.

The story is weak. Nothing special. Maybe the promised Rage of Demons module (offered free to anyone who pre-ordered in response to the delay in release) will be better, but so far that’s absent.

While the game seems like more of an action hack-and-slash Diablo clone, the gameplay is often slow: healing is slow, searching is slow, waiting for cooldowns are slow. Attacking is aimed and passive and less the active clickfest of modern games. To say nothing of the awkward camera movement. It doesn’t compare well, especially to modern iterations like Diablo 3 or Torchlight.

Two or three years ago Sword Coast Legends could at *least* claim to be one of the few isometric RPGs on the market, with that style of game having fallen to the wayside in favour of more 3rd Person views. But recently other high profile games of that format have been released, including Divinity: Original Sin in 2014 and Pillars of Eternityearlier this year. Both of which received a great response from the community.

The big selling feature is the adventure designer. But this is not only inferior to the version included in Neverwinter Nights but to the one included in the Neverwinter MMO. At this point Neverwinter has been out for a couple year of bug fixes, improvements, and content increases to its adventure designer and is a Free-2-play game making it significantly cheaper than Sword Coast Legends as an online adventure tool.

Full Review here.

Last edited:

theSim

First Post

I was looking forward mostly to the DM mode but unfortunately it is very limited. This is definately NOT the ultimate DnD experience. Sword Coast Legends tries too hard to be loved by everybody and ends up being alone.

Mirtek

Hero

Really wanted to like this game, but I too just requested a refund. Too many bugs, to outdated graphics, too many irritating quirks and the DM tools nowhere near what was promised during development. I could have lived with the poor implementation of 5e rules, but there were just to many negative things on top of that

JanBolt

First Post

Even though my computer meet the minimun requirements, the game plays painfullly slow. Full of bugs. Overused starting quests. Comparing it with Divinity: Original sin or Pillars of Eternity it's as comparing Napster with Spotify or iTunes. If this is "the best Computer RPG that WotC has to offer" better ask them to stay writting books. It's not D&D. Neither 5e. Inmediate refund.

Remove ads