• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword of Subtlety

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
A +1 short sword with a thin, dull gray blade, this sword adds
a +4 bonus to its wielders attack roll and damage when he
is making a sneak attack with it.

Notice how it doesn't say it "functions as a +4 sword when used for a sneak attack"? So when I sneak attack with this, what is my bonus to hit and damage? Is it +4, or is it +5?

The way that is written, it looks like a +1 sword with an unamed +4 bonus to hit and damaged, which means +5 alltogether.

Last edited:

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
It's in one of those super-rare hard-to-find splatbooks put out just for munchkins and powergamers. I think it's called the "Dungeon Master's Guide" or some such. :D

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Ki Ryn said:
It's in one of those super-rare hard-to-find splatbooks put out just for munchkins and powergamers. I think it's called the "Dungeon Master's Guide" or some such. :D

I think I've seen that at the FLGS. Is it any good? ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think I've seen that at the FLGS. Is it any good? ;)

It has some weird system for handling PCs with ECL races. You're better off using the one in Savage Species or maybe the FRCS.

It's got a handful of PrCs and one feat - the feat's nice, although some DMs might call it broken if you abuse it. The PrCs are okay... nothing special.

One thing it does have going for it is a whole stack of magic items. A few of them might be a bit munchkin (Boots of Striding and Springing and Bracers of Archery on p211 spring to mind... I hope they errata the price on those boots!), but the DM can just disallow any he doesn't like, so it's cool.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The way that is written, it looks like a +1 sword with an unamed +4 bonus to hit and damaged, which means +5 alltogether.

I'm inclined to agree - bear in mind that it means you don't beat DR X/+2 with it.

The price of a +4 shortsword is 16,310. The price of the Sword of Subtlety is 15,310. 1000gp off, for -3 attack and damage on every roll that isn't a sneak attack doesn't sound right.

So use your GMW'd +5 Sword of Subtlety for +9/+9 on your sneak attacks, and have fun...

-Hyp.

Trine

First Post
Re: Re: Sword of Subtlety

Hypersmurf said:

So use your GMW'd +5 Sword of Subtlety for +9/+9 on your sneak attacks, and have fun...
YOINK! Oh my PC's aren't going to like that... Hmm... mid-level gnollish rogue/ranger with a gnoll cleric friend to GMW his swords... oooh...

coyote6

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Sword of Subtlety

Trine said:
YOINK! Oh my PC's aren't going to like that... Hmm... mid-level gnollish rogue/ranger with a gnoll cleric friend to GMW his swords... oooh...

Just remember that after the PCs kill the gnoll, then they'll have his sword(s?) of subtlety (and possibly the GMW idea, too) . . .

Remove ads