D&D 5E Synergy of a INT-based warlock

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't know if that balances out the sad factor of failing more spells. I'm not saying it does or doesn't, I genuinely don't know.
I mean, a 12 DC isn't disqualifying; having a starting 16 in your main stat is hardly a requirement of the current system. I know several players who have happily had 14s and 15s in their main stat at Tier 1.

I mean, a 12 DC isn't disqualifying; having a starting 16 in your main stat is hardly a requirement of the current system. I know several players who have happily had 14s and 15s in their main stat at Tier 1.
Sure, but a player that wants to advance their spell DC earlier cannot. You are proposing the loss of choice there is balanced by the increase in choice of where to put your stats.

And I honestly don't know. It hurts players who want to play offensive casters, and helps players who want two (or more) physical stats. Pros and cons.

Or just 8 + 2x proficiency. A little better at epic tier but otherwise pretty close the the current numbers.
Not as close as 14+1/3rd Warlock Level. That's why I was considering it over 8+2x Proficiency.

1 - 13/12/14
5 - 15/14/15
9 - 17/16/17
13 - 18/18/18
17 - 19/20/19

Not as close as 14+1/3rd Warlock Level. That's why I was considering it over 8+2x Proficiency.

1 - 13/12/14
5 - 15/14/15
9 - 17/16/17
13 - 18/18/18
17 - 19/20/19
Starting at 14 is really high, though - that's the equivalent of an 18 charisma. And it stays ahead the whole time, since it caps at 20 as well.

Starting at 14 is really high, though - that's the equivalent of an 18 charisma. And it stays ahead the whole time, since it caps at 20 as well.
Starting a little high is more fun than starting a little low, at least in my book. And it's only a little high during the levels that tend to go by the fastest. It's more accurate to say 8+2x Proficiency "stays behind" until Level 13.

Having a DC14 until level 9 on a caster makes me cry.

TwoSix

Sure, but a player that wants to advance their spell DC earlier cannot. You are proposing the loss of choice there is balanced by the increase in choice of where to put your stats.
I'm OK with that. It fits the narrative that the power is external to the warlock, that the power of the magic is out of the character's control.

My own 5e hack allows the use of proficiency bonus to replace stat mod for attacks and DCs of special abilities, so I find the progression comfortable. Other people's comfort level will vary, of course.

I'm OK with that. It fits the narrative that the power is external to the warlock, that the power of the magic is out of the character's control.
That narrative can be used to justify anything, including fish flying out of your nostrils because the magic is out of the character's control. More power, less power, it's all out of control.

TwoSix

That narrative can be used to justify anything, including fish flying out of your nostrils because the magic is out of the character's control. More power, less power, it's all out of control.
True. The narrative is simply a convenient gloss for something that's a mechanical change at its core.

Remove ads