D&D 5E Synergy of a INT-based warlock

Laurefindel

Legend
Just for the sake of the experiment, imagine that Warlock was using Intelligence as their casting stat. What could it imply?

Loses SAD with Paladins, Sorcerers, and Bard (and the few martial classes gaining from high CHA like swashbuckler).
Gains SAD with Wizards and Artificers.

• Potentially create super fighter-mage with 1-level dip in hexblade (that 1-level dip is somewhat problematic in any situation mind you)
  • Wizards/Warlock would use eldritch blast as their go-to cantrip. It'd be better than the "add your caster ability once to damage" that some wizards gain through arcane schools.
  • Wizards/Warlock would "double-dip" spell slots reset on short rest with arcane recovery.
  • Warlock could gain a few tricks from wizards' arcane schools. Thinking if one would be broken on a warlock. Bladesinger comes to mind, but to what extent...

I know this has been theorized before, but any other implication you could think of?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I will only say I would rather see sorcerers become CON-based spellcasters instead of CHA-based, but not changing warlocks.

Still, removing synergies for all the CHA-based classes would be good. We don't play with Artificers so the only synergy would be Fighter (EK's) and Wizards.

Laurefindel

Legend
This is purely a theorical exercise; I have no intention of changing anything. The big question was: “what would break?”

5e is solid enough that Int warlocks aren't likely to break anything, but I wonder about the potential pitfalls and repercussions it would have.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think you've more or less covered it. All it really does is change which classes and skills the warlock synergises with. I actually like an int-based warlock as a full-caster with a book similar to a wizard, an occultist that seeks out forbidden knowledge though I feel like not all of the subclasses fit with this type of character.

Bihlbo

Explorer
I will only say I would rather see sorcerers become CON-based spellcasters instead of CHA-based

How would that make sense when describing the class? Their hale and hearty physique is tested when channeling corrupting magic? Lesser beings who enter into these pacts are swiftly killed as soon as they magically start a fire? Mechanically, it doesn't matter. But descriptively it matters a lot.

How would that make sense when describing the class? Their hale and hearty physique is tested when channeling corrupting magic? Lesser beings who enter into these pacts are swiftly killed as soon as they magically start a fire? Mechanically, it doesn't matter. But descriptively it matters a lot.
Force of personality has always been an arbitrary metric for sorcerers. Maybe if they worked like World of Darkness mages and exerted their will over reality. But for a class based around fantasy genetics (or whatever substitute you are using), Con is as good a stat as anything when it comes to justifying fluff.

Mechanically, that's a different matter.

This is purely a theorical exercise; I have no intention of changing anything. The big question was: “what would break?”

5e is solid enough that Int warlocks aren't likely to break anything, but I wonder about the potential pitfalls and repercussions it would have.
My guess is you'd see a lot of the same stuff you already do with classes dipping warlock. Hexblade would still be a popular one level dip. Eldritch blast takes over the cantrip scene for intelligence casters. Short rest spell slots combo with long rest casting to give some classes more staying power. I don't think it would break 5e. Some new cheesy options would surely appear but probably not any worse than you already get.

One random consequence of this change is that Intelligence skill checks would probably see more love. With the recent(ish) addition of the artificer and switching warlocks to Intellifence, you've tripled the number of classes that will want a high Intelligence score. That will increase the number of people who will have big numbers for those skills. And if you've got big numbers on your character sheet, you are more likely to try and use those numbers. They're not about to supplant perception or stealth for importance but I could see investigation and arcana being brought up way more often.

Remove ads