• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tabletop Game Night...Online?

Nightchilde-2

First Post
The forums for both OpenRPG and Maptools, IIRC, have specific boards for people to advertise games you're running or would like to play in. I'm sure Fantasy Grounds and the other VTTs have similar places. So, these resources are out there, you just have to know where to look.

Retreater

Legend
Because of the state of my face to face group, I'm seriously looking into a virtual game. Maptools seems very, very nice (and affordable). I don't think I know enough about it yet to start a campaign, but the day is coming.

Retreater

Hussar

Legend
Heh, isn't Maptool free? I guess that does put it in the affordable category. :p

OpenRPG is sometimes buggy. It really varies from PC to PC. I've never had any major problems with it to be honest. A couple of minor blips here and there, but, considering the source, nothing that cannot be worked around.

The problems that I've generally seen come from people with bad internet connections getting dropped constantly. Also, if you're behind a firewall, such as playing in a dormitory at uni, it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to use.

Mostly I'm sticking with Open out of laziness on my part. I know Maptool is probably a better program, I just can't be asked to learn it. :)

Emrikol - I agree 100%. That interview isn't a bad thing. Another idea is in your initial advertisement for players. I come across as a complete and utter asshat when I write my ads now. Utter facist. It seems to work to keep the flakes out.

One ironclad rule I've instituted is a three strikes for attendance. If players cannot attend three sessions, without prior notice, they are summarily ejected. If someone cannot spend 30 seconds beforehand saying, "hey, I can't make it this week" then I don't want to play with them.

The_lurkeR

First Post
Looks like an amazing tool.
Thanks for pointing out those tutorials, the main site is otherwise very spartan and wasn't doing a good job of showing off it's potential, but the tutorial videos are very well done.
Thanks!

Remove ads