• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tactics of the Illusionist

apsuman

First Post
Major image is just like silent image plus...

Minor image is just like silent image plus...

Programmed Image is just like Major Image plus...

So, since silent image is the basis for sooo many spells we have to assume (IMHO) that silent image is a very very powerful spell. By that I mean the spell is capable of making a very realistic image. Use that to your advantage, that is your tactic.

I would like to have more first level illusion spells, odor, temperature, and at some higher level, sound. The spells are the non-visual illusions. The illusion of a smell, or an illusion of a temperature.

Voadam

Legend
Mirror image is one of the best defensive spells there is and lasts for minutes.

Invisibility is great combined with conjurations or for the party scout/assasin.

I've always liked the ideas of creating illusions of incorporeal undead, when your enemies' attacks go through them harmlessly they could think that is appropriate.

When setting up an ambush illusory wall is great.

Kaji

First Post
Driddle said:
I'm on the other side of the fence on this interpretation of the game world. I figure that magic is something a non-mage can never ever be sure about because it's, well, MAGIC. Spells are weird, otherworldly, dangerous and can't be explained by the common folk. So I give illusions that benefit of the doubt -- rather than have a Doubting Thomas NPC try to put his hand through the monster's chest to test its validity, I'd have him give the monster some serious safety space first. Same thing for magic missiles and the like -- who's to say what the "standard" magic missile looks and sounds like, especially when you haven't studied magic yourself?

I'm in agreement here. Players in my campaign are often attempting to assume they know a spell was cast, and what it was because the PLAYER knows what happend. In the game, unless you have ranks in Spellcraft or Knowledge (arcane), what the hell do you know about magic, what's possible, and how it works? Even the semi-casters like paladins and rangers rarely put any ranks in this skill, and try to assume they know all about magic because they can cast a few spells on themselves. I like to keep the mystery alive when it comes to this.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I used my 1st level illusions to send messages to people in far away places. Once you get to a decently high level (6 or so) you get a HUGE volume of space to work your illusion in. Nothing like some 20 foot high letters saying "COME HERE" to get someones attention.

Also you can use the 1st level illusion as a giant television (moving painting). Why be stuck for an explanation on what a monster or bad guy looked like when you can just show someone?

Need to keep a bad guy from getting away? Throw down an illusion of a cage. They will get their will save when they knock at the cage side with their sword, but otherwise are gonna be stuck.

Want to distract the guards. Make an image of their buddy running by in the distance and see if they follow.

Have a horrible Hide skill? Make a giant rock that you are hiding inside of. Who is going to go out their way to tap each and every rock they see to make sure its real?

Ultimately, though, I think the success of an Illusionist relies on their DC for the Will saves the illusions create. If your DC is lackluster, for every idea you come up with thats saveproof (fake pit trap covers) you will have 5 that require that the bad guys fail their save (conjured cage from nowhere).

DS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads