Blog (A5E) Take A Look At All The New A5E Tools On A5E.tools!

Waller

Legend
One critique I've noticed on a lot of the tools. They all seem to "reset" my choices whenever I generate. Often I want to generate something, than I might make some tweaks, and so its quite annoying to have to reenter all of my options again. I would prefer the options stay when I press generate, and then a button for "reset options".
I bet you're fun at Christmas.

Stalker0

Legend
I bet you're fun at Christmas.
That was unkind. These tools are in beta, part of the whole point of a beta is to give feedback so that whatever polishing the designers would like to do before the "official release" can occur. I never said the tools were unusable, just said that this particular aspect is a pain point that lessens the utility of the tool.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That was unkind. These tools are in beta, part of the whole point of a beta is to give feedback so that whatever polishing the designers would like to do before the "official release" can occur. I never said the tools were unusable, just said that this particular aspect is a pain point that lessens the utility of the tool.
To be fair, I found it quite rude, too. At least make a perfunctory effort to dress it up with some niceties, eh? I put a lot of work into these for free, but making these isn't my job. Just a couple of words of acknowledgment at the start would go a long way. Otherwise, it's just... discouraging.

Stalker0

Legend
To be fair, I found it quite rude, too. At least make a perfunctory effort to dress it up with some niceties, eh? I put a lot of work into these for free, but making these isn't my job. Just a couple of words of acknowledgment at the start would go a long way. Otherwise, it's just... discouraging.
Fair enough. My favorite of the tools is the Encounter Builder, its simple and to the point, and its info I use a LOT to give me a baseline for what monsters I use. I also like the Treasure generator because its super quick and easy to use, sometimes you just want to belt out a quick treasure, so picking the CR and getting a quick list is very useful.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
For context on the regular (non-reinforced) door,

20 strength = 1.42 rounds
18 strength = 1.71 rounds
16 strength = 2.11 rounds
14 strength = 2.65 rounds
12 strength = 3.43 rounds
10 strength = 4.62 rounds
I think that the numbers work ok if you treat the DT like DR. Frankly any door other than the weakest of what we call interior doors is going to be reinforced by virtue of function. Non-reinforced doors are going to be things like these mostly hollow sound light & pet blockers & these decorative privacy screens for your clutter. Even something like this pine door is reinforced with the construction around the door & up/down left/right supports for the panels themselves. It's very unusual for a door not to have some amount of reinforcement

With those you wind up with
Armor Class 19
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Damage Threshold 19
Bash DC 23
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Damage Threshold 15
Bash DC 19
With the DT tweaked a bit to make the first 15-19 points of each attack simply go away breaker weapons start looking more useful & the door starts functioning like you'd expect a locked door to function.

Stalker0

Legend
I think that the numbers work ok if you treat the DT like DR. Frankly any door other than the weakest of what we call interior doors is going to be reinforced by virtue of function. Non-reinforced doors are going to be things like these mostly hollow sound light & pet blockers & these decorative privacy screens for your clutter. Even something like this pine door is reinforced with the construction around the door & up/down left/right supports for the panels themselves. It's very unusual for a door not to have some amount of reinforcement

With those you wind up with
Armor Class 19
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Damage Threshold 19
Bash DC 23
Armor Class 15
Hit Points 18 (4d8)
Damage Threshold 15
Bash DC 19
With the DT tweaked a bit to make the first 15-19 points of each attack simply go away breaker weapons start looking more useful & the door starts functioning like you'd expect a locked door to function.
oh I think the numbers did change, I originally saw the threshold as 9 not 19.

yeah I think the reinforced numbers work pretty well (especially at 19), which is why I suggested it is the best "default" for doors, and it might be worth mentioning that in the tooltips.

Faolyn

(she/her)
For context on the regular (non-reinforced) door,

20 strength = 1.42 rounds
18 strength = 1.71 rounds
16 strength = 2.11 rounds
14 strength = 2.65 rounds
12 strength = 3.43 rounds
10 strength = 4.62 rounds
Well, how long do you really need PCs to pound away at a door, anyway? The only way this would really matter is in the middle of combat.

Remove ads