Take A Peek At The Sunless Citadel From Tales of the Yawning Portal

Oh. It's on the main product page. http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
The FR description is really bland. I always thought the tree was perfect as something relating to a cult of Moander. Now that would actually feel Realmsish....

Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.

I'm wondering how long before WotC works out the difference between parley and parlay.... ;)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Eh, that's all minor stuff. Then again, I grew up on early 80s AD&D, so I'm not a huge stickler on perfect editing lol.

"But they used to be so much worse" isn't a great quality control standard.

I remember 2e products (particularly toward the end) that were nigh unreadable due to errors. In my opinion, that doesn't excuse such a ridiculously high rate of errors now.

Seriously, these pages wouldn't have made it out of 6th Grade English without being marked up. It blows my mind that they made it past a professional editor.

jasper

Rotten DM
Sigh. And the crap editing continues.

Second page, second line down in the right column: there is a closed parentheses symbol but no open parentheses symbol before it.

Out of the seven total pages available as previews (of which I am aware anyway), four contain such errors. That's a pretty atrocious proportion, and it's getting worse with each new sample.
Here we see the Grammar Kitten in attack.
Grammar Kitten
Frequency: Uncommon
No. Appearing 1-100
Armor Class: 6
Move: 6”
% in liar 95%

Next on Jasper's wild kingdom we my assistant Morris get inside a mimic's mouth.

Sacrosanct

Legend
"But they used to be so much worse" isn't a great quality control standard.

I remember 2e products (particularly toward the end) that were nigh unreadable due to errors. In my opinion, that doesn't excuse such a ridiculously high rate of errors now.

Seriously, these pages wouldn't have made it out of 6th Grade English without being marked up. It blows my mind that they made it past a professional editor.

I guess it's all about perspective and experience. If you're used to your TV always coming in clear with never having any issues, then when it glitches you'll probably be irritated right away. However, if you grew up having to go outside and move the antennae every couple hours, then a minor glitch isn't really noticeable, or if it is, no big deal. In no way am I saying that it should have errors, only that the errors I've seen, don't bother me personally all that much.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm struck by how in the "placing the adventure" sidebar some of the disasters that buried the Citadel seem so ... recent. Depending on the ages of the PCs the Eberron and FR disasters might be within living memory of the PCs. I always played the Citadel as something from a fairly distant past not something that might have been around as recently as a century ago. The Greyhawk callback to the Invoked Devastation is closer to the way I tend to run it (IIRC that's about a thousand years in Greyhawk's past, right?)

Well, Gulthias was staked in the Citadel if I remember my Ashardalon adventure path lore correctly. It's my impression (also from Heart of Nightfang Spire) that this was fairly recently (i.e. within the last hundred years or so). Also, the Ashen Plain resulting from Ashardalon's rage seems sorta recent as well. If it happened a thousand years ago, no one would remember what the site was called before ol' Ashy went nuts.
All of the above may be subject to fact checking.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm struck by how in the "placing the adventure" sidebar some of the disasters that buried the Citadel seem so ... recent. Depending on the ages of the PCs the Eberron and FR disasters might be within living memory of the PCs. I always played the Citadel as something from a fairly distant past not something that might have been around as recently as a century ago. The Greyhawk callback to the Invoked Devastation is closer to the way I tend to run it (IIRC that's about a thousand years in Greyhawk's past, right?)

I mean, the Day of Mourning was only four years prior to the start of a typical Eberron campaign, though it at least makes a point that the ruins were considered ancient before then, but that would still make the grove fairly well accessible (especially if Cyran scouts are using them).

I'm not super familiar with the lore of Sunless Citadel but from the sounds of it I'd probably sink the thing much earlier if I were running it in Eberron.

Oryzarius

Strigiform Storyteller
Supporter
From the article: "The Sunless Citadel was a 32-page adventure which was buried underground, corrupted by a magic tree."

Wow. Was the product such a bad design that they had to dispose of it so extremely?

:)

Remove ads

Remove ads