• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Take, take, and take and never DM. What do players bring to a gaming group?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I posted this as a humor category because it's not that serious, however at the end of our gaming session last night I got to talking with my players about what it is that "they" bring to the group. Most of my players DM a few times per year or run games for the RPGA, but all of us shared what it's like to be in the DM's chair with players who never give back (aka, never DM for ANYONE else). One guy just experessed that he's had it with Living Greyhawk..I reached that point a couple years ago so I sympathized.

We all agreed (even the players who never DM) most players take and take and take and don't give back much.

If a DM burns-out, they blame the DM for not knowing how to handle rude players or they blame the DM for not knowing when to say when or blame the DM for not organizing enough games. We've seen that this is ESPECIALLY true in the RPGA or convention environment where DM's are treated like cheap whores and it only takes one blood-sucking-tick at a table to burn out a DM.

What DO players who never DM bring to our gaming groups?

jh
NOT MEANT TO BE A TROLL..FEEL FREE TO VENT

Attachments

• yourfriends.jpg
    yourfriends.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 397

Stalker0

Legend
I agree, dming can be a pretty thankless job sometimes. I think at the very least, the group should buy the dm some food.

My group bought me some index cards with a holding case for my npcs this last week, and even a small gesture like that is appreciated.

You guys should seriously get involved with the Bugaboo's Friends Network. You get paid for DMing. I'm amazed you hadn't heard about it yet hanging around these boards.

scourger

Explorer
A consistent player is pretty appreciated by me. But, I game among friends; so I don't have to deal with casual players who I won't cut some slack out of friendship.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
You guys should seriously get involved with the Bugaboo's Friends Network. You get paid for DMing. I'm amazed you hadn't heard about it yet hanging around these boards.

What? is this real? Infos?

I'll have to track down the webpage when I get home (I'm at work now), but you fill out a form, show DMing experience, and then get your players to register that they're involved in your game. The registration requires two references, which generally keeps the really weird folks out. The players have to create an account on the webpage, and then they're allowed to hop into any game with just a few hour's notice, with any other Bugaboo's Friend network DM.

It's a bit of book-keeping upfront, but it's necessary because the whole thing is government subsidized. An old EN World poster found the right legal justification for it, and they get an endowment of like $500,000 a year as a "performing arts project." Once you're set, you get paid for whenever you run a game, with extra for taking in outside players.

There are all sorts of different options involved, allowing players to request DMs, or get rewards for this 'participation' in the program. Sadly, I think the original thread was lost in some server change, but I'll see if I can dredge up the necessary information.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
I'll have to track down the webpage when I get home (I'm at work now), but you fill out a form, show DMing experience, and then get your players to register that they're involved in your game. The registration requires two references, which generally keeps the really weird folks out. The players have to create an account on the webpage, and then they're allowed to hop into any game with just a few hour's notice, with any other Bugaboo's Friend network DM.

It's a bit of book-keeping upfront, but it's necessary because the whole thing is government subsidized. An old EN World poster found the right legal justification for it, and they get an endowment of like $500,000 a year as a "performing arts project." Once you're set, you get paid for whenever you run a game, with extra for taking in outside players.

There are all sorts of different options involved, allowing players to request DMs, or get rewards for this 'participation' in the program. Sadly, I think the original thread was lost in some server change, but I'll see if I can dredge up the necessary information.
:confused: Just checking the date, it isn't April 1st is it?

BryonD

Hero
You know what:
A year ago one of my players bought me a pack of tact-tiles.
And last night they suprised me with a Collosal Red Dragon they all chipped in on for me as a thank you.

I'll certainly take that as enough!!!

Slife

First Post
RangerWickett said:

I was under the impression that he got busted by the SEC as a pyramid scheme.

This thread seems to agree:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=99511&page=2&pp=40

Matt_Rourke

First Post
In our gaming group, we have a pretty consistent DM because most of the players are just awful at it. They try, but it ends up being a disaster, so the regular DM just takes over. I DM from time to time to give him a break, but I am much more comfortable as a player than a DM.

That said, the players do usually bring food, drinks, etc. for the gaming sessions, though that's not exactly equal compensation when I think about it more. :\

When I DM, I'm just happy if players bring a good attitude, come on time, have all their materials with them, and get themselves into character. If they can bring all of that, I can bring the storytelling. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads