Critical Role Tal’Dorei Reborn from Critical Role's Darrington Press

Critical Role's publishing arm, Darrington Press, has announced that it is relaunching the Tal'Dorei campaign setting (which was originally published inn 2017 by Green Ronin). The new setting is called Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn and will launch in late 2021/early 2022. Since we launched Darrington Press, one product has been asked for again and again: the popular and out-of-print...

Critical Role's publishing arm, Darrington Press, has announced that it is relaunching the Tal'Dorei campaign setting (which was originally published inn 2017 by Green Ronin). The new setting is called Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn and will launch in late 2021/early 2022.

Since we launched Darrington Press, one product has been asked for again and again: the popular and out-of-print Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting.

Today, we are delighted to announce that the sourcebook is coming back, in a shiny new form: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn—lovingly hashtagged #TalDoreiReborn for short. This definitive sourcebook brings the locations, people, creatures, and character options of Critical Role’s Tal’Dorei to your gaming table, complete with 5th edition stats for new magic items, subclasses, and even the members of Vox Machina. Whether you’re a fan of the original sourcebook or are totally new to Tal’Dorei, this book is for you.

D7595EA3-56ED-4A60-A28A-42743313C930.jpeg

The book is double the size of the original, at 280 pages, and advances the setting by two decades.

Inside, you'll find info on each major region of the setting, 9 new subclasses and 5 new backgrounds, new magic items, creatures, and updated stat blocks for the members of Vox Machina.

There will also be a deluxe boxed set from Beadle & Grimm's.

The FAQ indicates that it will not be possible to buy the PDF-only version at launch, but if you buy from the Critical Role shop you get the PDF bundled in (not if you buy it elsewhere though).

In fact they seem to use the 4e cosmology for the Planes!
From what I've seen so far, it seems to be a kind of hybrid of the Great Wheel and the World Axis. The Elemental Chaos is referred as something that used to exist but was separated into both Exandria itself and the separate Elemental Planes, which is more like the Great Wheel. The Outer Planes themselves are described as being scattered, which is more in line with the World Axis.

This description was given by Matt of representation of the cosmology within the Folding Halls of Halas:

"Okay. This arrangement, you begin to make out, is a layout of the planes, the transitive planes of the Ethereal and the Astral between the realms. You see these clouds of gray and light blue that mingle and create a Venn diagram where everything overlaps on top of. They act as the threads that hold these things together and connect them in between. The inner planes showing the elemental chaos where the primordial elements were ordered into following the Founding of Exandria. You can see where the flaming sphere is placed here, and there is the water, and the wind, and the earth. That is the scattering of these inner planes.

The outer planes, where the realms where the divine exist, are scattered and connected, all surrounding the Material Plane on the outer side."

The original Tal'Dorei setting book doesn't give information for the Outer Planes as far as I recall. The Wildemount book that WotC published has certain gods that exist in other campaign settings (like Pelor and Kord) dwelling in Outer Planes mentioned in the 5E PHB, while the 4E original gods plus not-Sarenrae are either wanderers of the Outer Planes or dwell in reaches of the Astral Plane that are not themselves Outer Planes. Pelor lives in Elysium, but Raei lives on the Island of Renewal "near" Elysium. Melora is sometimes in Arvandor but doesn't live there. Erathis' Hestavar drifts in the Astral Sea, as does Zehir's realm.

An episode from March of this year has the Mighty Nein find this notes from the planar researcher Ryn:
I continue to find an aberration in my data pertaining to Exandria, a cyclical, months-long, slow surge in low-level magical interference that then recedes just as slowly. Something that tangles my readings and upsets my analysis. It is too faint to identify the arcane nature at source, but I worry if this pertains to to the shifting between the veils. It could be something very interesting. Something very frightening. Very wonderful. More tests are required.
This leads me to believe that a new cosmology might be revealed in the upcoming setting book.

I also suspect that gods will either be referred to exclusively by their titles or by brand new names, as in Campaign 2 the cast consistently called the gods by their titles (especially the Wild Mother, but also others such as the Moon Weaver and the Chained Oblivion).

hunter1828

Butte Hole Surfer
Is WotC publishing this as the revisited setting, does it count as an official setting book? This is getting confusing. I now hope it is, because I no longer trust WotC with another FR book.
V0l2ZSW.gif

jgsugden

Legend
There is likely a lot of licensing issues being worked through here between Green Ronin, Critical Role/Darrington Press and WotC. However, I think an opportunity was missed. We'd have been better off for the long term, as fans of the game and setting, if the materials were released under the WOtC banner as it would have facilitated it on D&DBeyond, it would have given it more official clout, etc...

I'm eager to receive it - especially if it gives us some hints at the setting of the third campaign.

There is likely a lot of licensing issues being worked through here between Green Ronin, Critical Role/Darrington Press and WotC. However, I think an opportunity was missed. We'd have been better off for the long term, as fans of the game and setting, if the materials were released under the WOtC banner as it would have facilitated it on D&DBeyond, it would have given it more official clout, etc...

I'm eager to receive it - especially if it gives us some hints at the setting of the third campaign.
The gunslinger and the blood hunter were both added to Beyond, despite being DMs Guild releases, way before EGtW was a thing. I don’t doubt that Wizards are willing to cut special deals with CR for bending the rules of platform exclusivity in return for how much product CR helps push just by being the 800lb gorilla it is. Just saying I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see this book maybe get a Beyond release but it’s also nowhere near a sure thing either.

Dire Bare

Legend
it's possible that the entry on DNDBeyond is for this book. I mean the ONLY think keeping dndbeyond WOTC only books is their license with WOTC which could be changed and if DNDBeyond and WotC were to adjust it for anything, this book may be it.
Fandom's license with WotC for D&D Beyond does not prevent them from adding non-WotC content to the service. If they want to, they can add just about anything they want. They've been on record saying that they're basically too busy just keeping up with WotC's releases and increasing the capabilities of the service, and don't really have the time or manpower to add other titles. They've obviously made some exceptions for Critical Role elements, but that was likely because, 1) it's only a couple of classes, 2) folks at DDB are Critical Role fans, and 3) they frequently partner with Critical Role for marketing purposes.

We'll have to wait and see, but it would not shock me at all if the new Tal'Dorei Reborn book actually does show up in full on D&D Beyond.

darjr

I crit!
Fandom's license with WotC for D&D Beyond does not prevent them from adding non-WotC content to the service. If they want to, they can add just about anything they want. They've been on record saying that they're basically too busy just keeping up with WotC's releases and increasing the capabilities of the service, and don't really have the time or manpower to add other titles. They've obviously made some exceptions for Critical Role elements, but that was likely because, 1) it's only a couple of classes, 2) folks at DDB are Critical Role fans, and 3) they frequently partner with Critical Role for marketing purposes.

We'll have to wait and see, but it would not shock me at all if the new Tal'Dorei Reborn book actually does show up in full on D&D Beyond.
How do you know that? I've asked them point blank about third party books and their answer was "We have a license with WotC" implying that their hands are tied. Also Matt (MCDM) has said they'd love to have their books on DNDBeyond but said their license prevents it, though he didn't go so far as to say he'd actually talked to them about it. It sounded like he just knew, he used to know several principals of the company when they were over there.

In fact their partnership with Nerdarchy was VERY limited, basically it was Nerdarchy sharing home brew things, it wasn't any of their books. I got the distinct impression that DNDBeyond wanted to do just that, have books from Nerdarchy.

I’d be ecstatic if I were wrong, FYI

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads