• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tale of the Clueless - [Combat Thread]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
The crew of the Martyred Justice are gearing up, preaparing to come over also, though it may take them a while to do so.

[sblock=Vor]Again, the crew of the third ship are mostly in leathers (some studded leather) and what you can see of weapons are restricted to crossbows and light blades (daggers, rapiers, longswords at the largest). The two obvious tieflings and the winged figure are all in studded leather and wielding longswords.

you can try Knowledge (planes) check to better identify the races, though i cant see the use of any other knowledge checks[/sblock]

Gli'jar

First Post
Terrathoin continues to press his attack against Drahluut, releasing a blood-curtling war cry as he swings wide.

Secondary, If Drahluut departs, Terrathoin will attack the closest enemy, charging if movement allows or moving as necessary to engage the target.

Atk 10, dmg 4

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Deciding that the others can handle those already on the ship, Idim grabs her bow and fires at the closest of the new boarders.

Free action: drop rapier
Move action: draw bow
Standard action: fire at closest enemy from other ship; 13 attack, 3 damage

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]By taking 10 on the Knowledge (the planes) Vor can manage a DC 18 check, enough to identify any outsider of up to 8 HD. If it only has 3 racial hit dice or less then Vor can probably figure out its vulnerabilities as well; that'd cover the tieflings I believe.

Other Knowledge checks might be appropriate if the feather-winged creature isn't in fact an outsider; it could simply be some type of humanoid after all. There's also always the chance that other knowledges could reveal information which in turn spark other knowledge checks which in turn reveal yet more information. For instance, a successful Knowledge (architecture & engineering) check might reveal that their vessel is curiously designed to shield the crew from accidental water-spray. A subsequent knowledge (arcana) check might reveal that some bodies of water have mystically harmful effects. A knowledge (the planes) check might reveal that one such body of water is the river styx; which can cause complete memory loss with but a touch. A knowledge (geography) check indicates that the Styx flows through most of the lower planes but its headwaters are located in the plane of Pandemonium. A knowledge (the planes) check reveals that marraenoloths are a type of yugoloth demons who are the river's most frequent sailors. A knowledge (local) check reveals that there is a notable marraenoloth shipwright named Kuzenel in the gate-town of Bedlam who designs such ships and whoose trademark is a barbed anchor. A glance at the ship's prow reveals two such barbed anchors, indicating that this group of tieflings are possibly based out of Bedlam, and on and on... :p

See, knowing a little bit about everything can go a long way. ;)
[/sblock]

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[sblock=Vor]A Knowledge local (dalelands) also reveals that elminster lives there, but really, what is the relevance? I see what you mean but most of your examples have nothing to do with this situation. When (if) you can see the enemies more clearly, then yes you'd be able to but for the third time - their faces are covered in war paint, which makes identification difficult. and the ones you can identify I'e already told you are tieflings - no need for a check. Yet.[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]I guess relevance is relative; to me any information is better than nothing.

Of immediate importance though would be realizing that the varoot and tieflings are resistant to cold, fire and electricity. I'm sure the unidentified winged guy has some resistance as well. As is, Vor has no clue.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

I step back and put another two arrows in crewman #6. If crewman #6 goes down before I attack, I drop my bow and move to flank Drahluut while drawing my battle axe.

Thrumgall says "It's over Drahluut, drop your arms and surrender while you are still able."

Primary action 5' step away from crewman 6. Rapidshot twice at crewman #6. Full round action speaking free action.

Backup action Drop bow Free action. Move to flanking position on Drahluut while drawing battle axe, move action. Attack Drahluut Standard action.

Rolls:

Primary Action Attack 1: 13 to hit 2 damage. Attack 2: 16 to hit 2 damage

Backup action: To hit 27 (possible crit) damage 9 Threat confirmation 25

Nalfeshnee

Explorer
[Sblock=Vor]Is your check +2, or are there any other modifiers?

Know (planes) (1d20+2=10)

With the result I got, you know tieflings have cold/electricity/fire resistance 5, though yolu cannot make out enough features of the winged creature to know what it is. At least not given your current positions. When you get closer, you may learn more.

Note: please let me know whenever you think a knowledge check will be helpful. as it is i tend to forget things like this even though ive got post-its all over the place :)[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
[sblock=Nalfeshnee]Because of his Draconic Knowledge invocation Vor gets a +6 bonus on all Knowledge checks. Some other knowledges have additional ranks and bonuses; just check Vor's skill list in the Rogue's Gallery for totals.

For most Knowledge checks I forsee usually taking 10, it makes it easier to keep track of how much he knows about anything. By taking 10 on the Knowledge (the planes) Vor can manage a DC 18 check, enough to identify any outsider of up to 8 HD. If it only has 3 racial hit dice or less then Vor can probably figure out its vulnerabilities as well; that'd cover the tieflings and Drahluut I believe.

I'll try to remind you (and I often have) but I don't know what you know about what we encounter so its hard for me to guess sometimes. Please just read my posts carefully so that I don't have to keep asking. :)
[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads