Tales of Irthos OOC

elmlily

First Post
introduction

Well, helllooooo, EN World. I am Emily. I like to take it easy, and post everything I can in green serifs. I can see you and I are going to get along.

Hope to see some gamers here tomorrow!

Moniker247

First Post
Heads up: I'm out of the country from July 1st to 10th, so don't be surprised if I'm not posting.

I one-up your green serifs with random pink!

Hurog

First Post
I'm going to be internetless for about a week. Hopefully you guys can keep yourselves busy without my presence for a bit with some RP.

See you when I get back.

Last edited:

Moniker247

First Post
I have a hypothetical question open to debate: Is there any reason for an immortal creature to die heroically?

I'm not going to go run Dipani off a cliff or anything, but once we get into combat, why should she risk her neck for you guys? She has no need to be immortalized in combat. As Woody Allen said, "I don't want to live on in my fellow man, I want to live on in my apartment." She shouldn't risk death just to be immortalized in combat.

Another common choice is to die protecting something or someone. But especially as a Shardmind, emotions are... erratic at best. Love is straight out. At best, you get a momentary feeling of attachment and consider sacrificing yourself for the other. However, given that you'll outlive them naturally, why bother? I mean, Dipani shouldn't save you just to preserve a life that will naturally extinguish within a few short decades.

The final reason I can think of to die heroically is to defeat some kind of great evil. Lots of heroes do epic battle which costs both them and their adversary their life. It's a good way to die. However, there are few evils that cannot be defeated by hiding for a few centuries. If Dipani can simply hide in a cave somewhere (even in a cave in, she could simply go dormant for 3 thousand years) and wait for someone else to save the day.

Anyways, I thought of this conundrum yesterday and thought I'd see what you guys could come up with. I'm not going to intentionally screw you over in combat, but if it hits the fan, I can't think of a reason for Dipani to stay. I'd like to play her chivalrously, but I need help to rationalize it. What can you recommend?

Hurog

First Post
The question of an immortal creature dying heroically inherently has the same base as any such sacrifice:
Is the sacrifice of that life worth what it is being sacrificed for, to the person giving their life for it.

Dipani is a very young being, and it's unlikely that she has yet to find something she values more than her own life, so in that sense, she's highly unlikely to undertake such a situation in as black and white a scenario as that.

This is not to say she's unable to fight with, or even for, things or people. Logically, it's likely that a group able to complement her own powers and support her is worth some danger to her self. Perhaps in time, she'll find something she cares about enough to risk, or even give her life to that degree.

There are reasons an immortal creature would die heroically, but there are plenty why one might not be so keen to. Not every combat ends this way (in fact, it' generally a bad sign if too many do), and there's quite a few reasons to fight for a mutual cause. I think it'll be quite an interesting character to see grow and develop.

Remove ads