• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.

5E Talls S&H adventure

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei crosses her arms across her chest and slightly bows at the sight of the bodies. She looks around in the grass to see if she can determine how many or what type of creature(s) did this to the orcs.

OOC: [roll0] investigation
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 0

Eowyn moved over to the bodies, kneeling beside them. They were orcs, and they were dead. She could be of no help to them. She looked to the flaming cottage and whispered a few words, wiggling her fingers. A bit of rain formed and put out a small bit of fire nearby, but the flames were too great for her magic to affect much.

The little polder kneeled down in the dirt. She stuck her nose in the blood trail, sniffing, then looked up, wiping blood and dirt from her nose ineffectually, more smearing it. Still on all fours, she started to scuttle along, following the trail. She looked back to where others were gathering and pointed in the direction of the river.

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Magic Stone: 3 stones

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Cast Resistance
Bonus Action: Cast Magic Stone
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration: Resistance
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 4/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 3/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 2/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

Herosmith14

Villager
Orin jolts his head up from his writing at the sound of the explosion. The warbred was usually an early riser and had been using this time to write a letter to an... old friend.

At the sound of the warning, though, the ratcatcher stuffs his unfinished scroll into his pocket as he grabs his weapons and runs outside, just in time to see the polder scuttling towards the river and talk of orcs. He nods to the guard as he passes them. "Ye focus on the fire, we'll handle this."

"Looks like the hun' is on," he mutters to himself as he jogs off after Eowyn.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Tell Bartold to find me there," Saarthax yells to the guard as he follows U'Tempei, Eowyn and Orin, nightshirt fluttering in the morning wind.

Instinctively the paladin joins Eowyn by the fallen bodies; regardless of whether the dead orcs were responsible for the explosion, they are now deceased individuals deserving of a measure of respect.

"Dead," he states the obvious, then stops himself from talking further as the polder seems to catch a scent. "The river?" he starts hesitantly, then shrugs and, broom at the ready, starts moving in that direction.
 

TallIan

Explorer
Eowyn’s conjured rain causes a hiss, then a slight flair of brilliant colour as something reacts with the steam.

U’Tempei can determine that the orcs were caught in the explosion of the building. It is apparent why rumors of these orcs have been so terrifying. They are not 10 feet tall, as everyone keeps saying, but they are much larger than normal, with huge tusks protruding from their lower jaws that could certainly cause a vicious injury. It’s hard to tell how many there were, but there were enough to make a mess of Pinna’s herb garden.

Saarthax finds a couple of great axes near the orc bodies.

Arcata’s owl swoops ahead, spotting three orcs on the far side of the river and five on this side. The orcs have found a shallow part, of the river about 100 yards south of the bridge, that is not passible, if you don’t mind getting wet.

The rest of the ratcatchers catch up with Eowyn and a few minutes later they hear some gruff voices up ahead. Orin can make out them say, “Stupid fools! You weren’t supposed to loot the place, just get the girl.” You hear some chanting then, ”Now get up! Get back across the river.” You all hear some splashing along the river bank.

GM: Stealth rolls for those that want to sneak and initiative for everyone. You can split into a stealthy and and a noisy groups if you like.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei loads her crossbow quietly. She places a finger on her lips, something she learned from a native of a towns a few miles away. She heads in the direction of the voices cautiously.

Stealth [roll0]
Init [roll1]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Grabbing one of the greataxes near the orc bodies and dropping the broom, Saarthax slows his trod when U'Tempei motions for silence. He attempts to move silently forward in order to see the source of the gruff voices, and perhaps make a plan of attack.

OOC: Ooh, a greataxe makes for a much better weapon than a broom! :)

Stealth check: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]
 

Herosmith14

Villager
"Soun's like they've got a hostage" Orin whispers to the others as he unstrings his bow, knocking an arrow. Before long, though, he's sneaking around, attempting to get the jump on these orcs.

OOC: Stealth: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]
Wait, scratch that initiative down to 21. I've got an IRL character with 20 Dex, and I looked at the wrong sheet. Stealth is good, though
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"We have to rescue that hostage," Saarthax replies just as quietly. "Don't shoot unless you're sure it's not him."

His words of caution are aimed at everyone considering making ranged attacks, not just Orin.
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Eowyn Rosebud
Early Morning
Gravesford
Round 0

Eowyn held up her hand to stop the others as she heard the voices of the orcs. She put a finger to her lips and made a motion like sneaking and pointed toward the river.

Stealth [roll0]
If she has time to cast Pass Without Trace before we sneak down, she will, and everyone will have +10 to their stealth.

Initiative [roll1]

[sblock=Eowyn’s Actions]
Magic Stone: 3 stones

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action: Cast Resistance
Bonus Action: Cast Magic Stone
Reaction:
Conditions:
Concentration: Resistance
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +2
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 34/34 HD: 5/5d8+2

Spells
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Magic Stone, Resistance
1) 4/4 Cure Wounds, Faerie Fire, Healing Word
2) 3/3 Enhance Ability, Healing Spirit, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Pass Without Trace
3) 2/2 Dispel Magic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party Loot]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Goals]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
U'Tempei !Nothen - human eldritch knight
Arcata Dulat - human divination wizard
Saarthax - dragonborn paladin
Orin - warbred mastermind rogue
[/sblock]
 

TallIan

Explorer
Round 1

Thanks to Eowyn's magic the group of Ratcatchers manage get the drop on the orcs. Closing the distance quietly in the dark.

As you approach you can see one large orc standing guard, two merely big orcs are splashing with something in the water and another seems to be overseeing everything. Thanks to Arcata's owl, you can just about make out three more across the river, they seem to be watching your side of the bank for people coming from the village, but have clearly not seen you.

GM: You can basically get as lose as you want before attacking with range. If you want to try and sneak up and hit anyone with melee then you will need one more stealth check. The PC's will enter where the arrow is.

The river in the map is narrower than it should be, it should be around 50ft wide, but I couldn't stretch the image more or find a better one, so it'll have to do with the caveat that you can't jump over it.

U'Tempei: 54/54
Arcata: 32/32
Eowyn: 34/34
Saarthax: 44/44
Orin: 43/43

Bernold: 3/3
NAME: 3/3

Orc 1: 30/30
Orc 2: 30/30
Warspeaker: 65/65
Juggernaught: 95/95
Orc Archer 1: 30/30
Orc Archer 2: 30/30
Orc Archer 3: 30/30

 
Last edited:

jmucchiello

Adventurer
OOC: So the orc archers are standing at the edge of the east bank of the river?

Is crossing the river just difficult terrain?
 

TallIan

Explorer
GM:
So the orc archers are standing at the edge of the east bank of the river?

Is crossing the river just difficult terrain?
Check the map again, I have modified the map with my infantile digital art skills, it's still narrower than I would like but putting that on a map is getting unwieldy. They are a few yard back from the bank

You can swim across (so half move) but there will also be an athletics check to fight the effects of currents and undertows. It is a substantial river, not just a stream. You can essentially place your character icon anywhere up to 30 feet from an orc.
 

Shayuri

Villager
Arcata steels herself, wishing briefly that she'd prepared something a bit less flashy, like her hypnosis spell. Not knowing what to expect, she'd come girded for battle. Then again, perhaps they could be cowed with a display of magic?

She crept closer to the band on the riverbank, wary of the big one, but even more so of the one watching over the others. It wasn't impossible that he might practice some kind of primitive magic. Counterspelling might be needed.

Her wand felt slightly slick between her fingers. This would be her first time launching a spell with intent to kill. It was going to paint a big target on her. If it didn't work, all the archers would focus on her. If the others didn't back her up, that big one would stomp right up and crush her.

I don't die here today, so here goes...

Arcata incanted and with word and will gathered power to herself. As it changed to heat, she guided it to her wand, where it manifested as a swirling mote of flame about the size of an eyeball. It whirled there for a moment, until she launched it across the river with a flick of her wrist. It didn't fly like a physical thing, arcing up and then back down. The spell flew straight and swift, uncaring of the laws of nature.

The three archers on the far bank had just enough time to see that tiny star hurtling at them before it erupted into a titanic blossom of fire with a hollow WHOOOOOMPFF followed by a sound like muffled thunder.

[sblock=Actions]Move south to A7 and cast Fireball centered on the middle orc archer to target all three of them. Dexterity save DC 15, or suffer full [roll0] damage.[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Saarthax is still hesitating what the best course of action is, when Arcata starts casting a fireball spell. When the firey explosion lights up the night, the paladin drops the stealth and rushes forward, reaching the two orcs by the water that he suspects are holding down a hostage.

"Release your prisoner," he declares loudly, belatedly realizing his nightshirt and, more pointedly, lack of armor make his current situation a lot more dangerous than usual. The unfamiliar axe in his hands likewise feels awkward, and Saarthax hopes that these orc raiders are easily frightened.

"Or face the consequences for your actions!" he adds, rather unconvincingly. Then, with the power of the Gods behind the word, he commands the one right before him to "DROP!"

OOC: Move up to O-14, then cast Command. Orc 1 must make a DC 13 Wisdom save or drop whatever it is holding.

[sblock=Temporary stats]AC 10 (nightshirt only)
HP 44/44
Greataxe +7 (1d12+4 slashing)
Spell slots used:
level 1: 1/4
level 2: 0/2[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Herosmith14

Villager
Orin looks over the various brutes before him, trying to sketch out a quick strategy before charging in. The big one was probably going to be a priority, as it could very well swat all of them like flies, but he didn't know what that shaman had up their sleeve, either. And, of course, the archers were out of range, meaning they'd be taking arrow fire while dealing with the meatbags, with no way to stop it.

No way, that is, until the archers' side of the river exploded. The warbred swung his head back to see the still smoking wand of the mage girl who had tagged along with them, and gave her an approving nod before slipping back into the shadows. He highly doubted Saarthax's attempt at intimidation would work, but the rogue decided to see how it played out as he drew back his bowstring from behind a tree.

OOC: Orin will move and hide behind the tree at E11, and hold an attack on the big guy for if the orcs attack.

Stealth: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
If Advantage (which I'm assuming hide will give me): [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]
Sneak Attack: [roll4]
 

TallIan

Explorer
GM: You guys can sneak a lot closer than where your icons are. You can basically place yourselves anywhere up to 30ft away, so you could move and attack with your fiat turn.
 

jmucchiello

Adventurer
U'Tempei whispers, "I'll deal with the archers." She clicks her heels together and small wings sprout from her boots. She takes to the air and flies into the sky. She drifts over the river at a height of about 60 feet before descending to 30 feet away from archer 3 at AF18+20ft.

OOC: yes, AF is off the map, but she wants to be behind him as she descends into close range of her hand crossbow. I assume that amount of movement takes more than one round. So she won't attack this round. When she is able to attack, she will swoop down attacking twice with her rapier and once with the crossbow.

Stealth, in case it is needed: [roll0]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC:
GM: You guys can sneak a lot closer than where your icons are. You can basically place yourselves anywhere up to 30ft away, so you could move and attack with your fiat turn.
Oh, that changes things. I'll edit my post, above, so that Saarthax not only rushes up to the orcs, but also commands one to drop whatever it is holding.
 

Advertisement

Top